Rectal Discharge with Disconnected Pouch: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Marie57

Hi, does anyone suffer from rectal discharge with a disconnected pouch? Thanks.

Past Member

Hi Marie. I assume you mean when I have my pouch off for a change or shower, do I get a rectal discharge? My answer is no. However, since my January 3 colostomy, I've been wondering when and if I'd get that occasional plug of mucus that I was told may occasionally discharge from my rectum. I got pressure in my rectum just last week and a bit of a push on the potty brought forth a small plug of mucus. That's all that I've got going on back there.

Do you have events when your bag is off?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

corbiator!
Reply to Anonymous

What does having your bag open or off have to do with it?

Thanks

Jb

Mom2Sons

Hi Marie, I too have an ileostomy from a failed J-pouch that was unable to be removed. Yes, I do occasionally (once or twice every couple of weeks) have some discharge from my backside. My doctors have told me that this is normal because my body does continue to produce mucus in the intestine, in this case, the constructed J-pouch. Sometimes it's a very modest amount and sometimes more. I have noticed that at times it may look a little blood-tinged, but again, I have been told that it is completely normal. However, if you are having very bloody discharge and pain, then I would think your doctor would want to know this. I hope this helps.

patrickrichardson1946

I get rectal discharge all the time, it is a real nuisance but I have never had a build-up or plug as another poster said. Patrick

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Marie57
Reply to Mom2Sons

Thanks for the quick answer, only 3 weeks after the operation. Just gutted now this is happening.

TerryLT
Reply to Marie57

Yes, mucus rectal discharge is perfectly normal, but the amount and frequency seems to vary from person to person.

Terry

lovely

I have rectal discharge all the time. Sometimes several times a day because my output comes in small amounts several times a day. I never knew or thought about the rectum producing mucus to help have a movement until I had my colostomy. I found out about it on this site.

gentlejohn

Rectal drainage is normal as long as your rectum is in place. The only way to stop rectal drainage is to remove it.