Best liquid vitamins for ileostomy?

Replies
Views
sunflowers

Just wondering if anyone takes vitamins? I have an ileostomy and there are a lot of dietary restrictions. I read that it is best to take liquid vitamins with my ostomy type. Please respond with anything you might know on this subject? Thank you

Past Member

Hi sunflowers,

I have a colostomy and take chewable ones.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,381 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Not sure what dietary restrictions you have as I am able to eat most things....I have a loop ileostomy and I take chewable B12 not sure how many different vitamins come in chewable or liquid form. I did have one pill (think it was a Lipitor prescribed by a not so brilliant heart doctor) which arrived in all its glory in my pouch...fortunately it made the trek with no stops but now I fear all pills as I have major concerns about a blockage.

I guess the answer is eat healthy, chew well....something easier said than done!

RaenotRay

Hi,

I just love your name, by the way! I still take all my vitamins in pill form with a loop ileostomy. I haven't had any issues, and I know my iron and vitamin D have improved. That's just my experience though.
-Rae

TerryLT

Hi Sunflower, I have an ileostomy also, and I take a few different vitamins and supplements in pill form. I have never had a problem and have never had a pill come out undigested. I do have my nutrient levels checked regularly and everything has remained at normal levels. I also don't have any diet restrictions. There will be some ileostomates who have problems with some foods, but also many who don't, so the best thing is to experiment yourself with various foods to see how well you tolerate them. Just be careful, start with small amounts of things you might be unsure of, like seeds, nuts or veggie and fruit skins. Chew well and keep well hydrated. Good luck!

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sunflowers
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks so much for sharing! I am fairly new to all this. The internet can scare you off of eating a lot of things. But I did note that things they told me were good were not good for me, so I guess you are right that you have to see how your body deals with it and proceed slowly. So I'm happy to hear you take vitamins and they digest all right. I was thinking about getting blood work re: my nutrients, especially calcium and magnesium.

Thanks again for your kind help! I just love this site, am so grateful I found it.

sunflowers
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks for your response! I will look into chewable vitamins... The feedback that I'm getting is to try different foods and see how I do with obvious exceptions of nuts and skins. Think I've been being too harsh in what I allow myself. New to this and the internet can really scare you.

Nice of you to respond. This is such a great site!

sunflowers
Reply to RaenotRay

Thanks--I love sunflowers, have them all over the house LOL. Thank you for responding. I'm hearing that for many, the pill form of vitamins are all right. I did take a calcium/magnesium pill and didn't explode. Ha Ha, so I guess I'll try what other vitamins I have here. I also have a loop ileostomy. Think I've been too restrictive in the foods I allow myself....the consensus appears to be: Try it and see how I do in small amounts without obvious things like nuts, seeds, and skins.

BTW, I allowed myself a White Russian today and did I ever feel relaxed. Drank Chopin Potato Vodka, so I figured I wasn't entirely cheating!! I love this site. I am so grateful to have found it! Such a nice and supportive community!

RaenotRay
Reply to sunflowers

White Russian, ooooo good for you! My older daughter also loves sunflowers, so they've become one of my favorites.
I had my ostomy surgery in August, and I was really strict at first. Now there's not a lot I don't enjoy. I've even done nuts, seeds, beans, and lots of different (cooked) veggies with no problem. It's definitely a weird world.

ron in mich

Hi Sunflower, when I had my first surgery thirty some years ago, the surgeon suggested I take a multivitamin as I was so rundown from UC. Then, my doctor said to take calcium as I was on prednisone for a while. Later on, after labs, it was recommended to take D3 as I live in N. Michigan and we don't get a lot of sunshine during the winters.

TerryLT
Reply to sunflowers

I'm glad you found us too, Sunflower! Don't be afraid to try all the potential problem foods, like nuts, seeds, and fruit skins. Just be careful, start with really small amounts, and make sure to chew really well. I eat all of those things, plus things like mushrooms and corn, which some people have problems with. I can't stress enough how important liquid intake is also. If your doctor or ostomy nurse didn't already tell you about this, someone with an ileostomy needs more than the normal amount of water in their diet. The large bowel is the organ that absorbs most of the liquids we consume, so without it, we need extra. Drink something with your meal, and then it's a good idea to drink a large glass of water after your meal too, as this will help move things along and help prevent blockages. You should be hydrating throughout the day. It may seem like a lot, but you will get used to it! As for alcohol, the White Russian sounds great, haven't had one in years! But, alcohol does dehydrate, so when I have a beer or a glass of wine, I drink extra water to compensate, easy peasy.

Cheers,

Terry

Casper9

Hi sunflowers!

I have had my ileostomy for 27 years, so I've had lots of time to experiment. I do take vitamins, and I try to use mostly chewable or gummy versions since I have had trouble with pills coming through partially digested. If I have to take anything in pill form, I usually take it with food, and that helps. :)

gooackert

Sunflower, I have had an ileostomy for 48 years and take vitamins and other supplements. I was told initially that enteric-coated and time-release capsules don't dissolve well, so I avoid these and if the pharmacist gives me either. I have them exchanged for a different form.

sunflowers
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks so much for your input, especially about hydrating. Lately, I've been under emotional stress, and that results in an increased output (diarrhea), I guess. Don't want to harm my kidneys. Also, drinking an electrolyte drink called Propel. Appreciate your concern.

Thank you.

sunflowers

BTW, feeling better about expanding my dietary choices also after hearing about your experience.

Thanks also for the warm welcome.

Beth22

Sunflowers, I know it's a late post, hopefully you see it, but I have a loop ileostomy and I take an adult liquid multivitamin from Centrum. I found it on Amazon. I searched in stores too, and crazy they don't carry liquid. I also drink Instant Breakfast nutrition shake every morning. It's got protein, vitamins, and minerals - a bunch of the good stuff. I hope that helps you.

Homie With A Stomie NS

I have an ileostomy and take chewable multivitamins and tablet B12....as long as you don't use time-release type of meds or vitamins, you should be okay.....time release for us ileos is not functional as we process very quickly and it's a waste.