Bumps and Burning - Seeking Advice for Ostomy Care

Replies
Views
Beatles0826

Hi all. I have had my ostomy for just over a year now. I am still learning what to eat and when lol. My main concern is I seem to always have bumps around my stoma. Doing some research, it says maybe I am not cutting the hole large enough, but I don't feel that's the problem. The bumps don't hurt, but they sure do not look nice. I also tend to feel burning a lot, and again after research, I found it could be from leakage, but every time I decide to rip my appliance off, there is no residue to be found. I am at a loss..... Any suggestions will be most helpful.

AlexT

Can you describe the "bumps" better? Maybe you could post a picture or two in your profile of what you're dealing with. Unless you're one of the lucky ones that can figure out how to post pictures on a thread.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Beatles 0826, maybe an allergy to the wafer/glue you are using? Do you have access to a nurse that has experience with stomas?

PS Welcome

TerryLT

Hi Beatles, I agree it sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to whatever is touching your skin right where the bumps are. Have you tried more than one type of product? It's always good to try several pouches to find out what suits you best. I'm also wondering about your statement that you are still learning what to eat and when. With a colostomy, you should not be restricted as to what or when you need to eat. You might be reading information that applies to people with ileostomies?

Terry

ron in mich

Hi Beatles, it sounds to me that if you're ripping the wafer sticky part off, you're pulling hairs out and that's causing bumps. I was told to start by getting a corner loose and then pushing the skin away from the wafer or the tape part if that's the style you use. Hope this helps.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beatles0826
Reply to TerryLT

It's actually bumps on my stoma, not my skin.

Beatles0826
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you, Terry. I was told that I could pretty much eat anything whenever, just to stay away from celery, and I should never have popcorn again, which made me very, very sad. I just noticed that when I eat burritos or beans, which are one of my favorite foods, I tend to get diarrhea a lot faster, so I tried only eating that on weekends so I'm not at work. This is the first chat forum I've decided to check out as I've been doing this all on my own since the beginning. I have not even gone to see an ostomy nurse as mine, when I got mine, is over an hour away. I'm scared at the same time.

Beatles0826
Reply to AlexT

I added a picture on my profile. I think

Beatles0826
Reply to Anonymous

Unfortunately, I do not have an ostomy nurse, but I'm sure I can go to my doctor and get a referral for one in my city. I think that's what I really need to do. Thank you.

AlexT

I'm no stoma expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but your stoma looks fine to me.

TerryLT
Reply to Beatles0826

Hi Beatles,

I also think your stoma looks perfectly normal. I'm no expert either, but I don't think it's unusual for the inside of your large bowel (that is what the surface of your stoma is) to not be perfectly smooth. Mine is not perfect either. Have the bumps always been there? If you are worried, you could check with your doctor to put your mind at rest. I'd ask him/her how you can access an ostomy nurse as well. Kudos to you for going it all alone this far! I'm glad you found this site, because there is a lot of knowledge and support here.
As far as the popcorn and celery goes, generally with a colostomy, you should be able to eat either, unless you have a lot of scar tissue in your bowel. It's usually people with ileostomies who can have problems passing certain foods. I ate everything under the sun when I had my colostomy, and I had no problems. I still do even with my ileostomy, I just need to remember to chew really well and keep hydrated. You owe it to yourself to try these foods, especially if you really miss them. Just try a small amount to start, and chew well to be extra careful.
You did mention that you have a burning sensation, so that still sounds like you could have an allergic reaction to something. Are you using other products, like barrier rings, or sprays? The only real way to find out is to eliminate a product for a while, try something new, and see how you react. There is usually some trial and error in the beginning, but it's worth it to find the right combination that works best for you and gives you comfort and security. Good luck!

Terry

Beatles0826
Reply to TerryLT

You have no idea how you have made my day.

TerryLT
Reply to Beatles0826

Well, thanks, that makes me feel good too! Are we to take it that you are a Beatles fan!??

Beatles0826
Reply to TerryLT

Very much so. My favorite band. Although I'm into lots of different styles and kinds of music, the Beatles always come through with whatever I'm feeling.

TerryLT
Reply to Beatles0826

I'm also their biggest fan, since I was twelve!! Their music will never get old. It's timeless. By the way, I meant to say it's always nice to welcome a new Canadian to the site!

Terry

PersephoneRising

Does it look like this? I've had my colostomy stoma for 8 months. When I first woke up in the hospital, the new stoma had a ring of stitches around the perimeter, like flower petals, each one through the skin around the stoma and through the stoma itself. After they were gone, my stoma looked like the picture... a little bump at each suture site... and it took a long time for them to resolve. My doc said that's normal but that I was a slow healer. I still have one persistent one along the lower edge, and since it's so close to the border, it bleeds easily when placing my bag, if the edge of the cut-out center touches it... I have my bags cut a teenie bit bigger than perfect, and use a barrier ring to take up the slack so no exposed skin, but no trauma from the cutting edge. Hope this helps!

Lovesophie

You say you burn, is your skin around the stoma raw and bloody? That's how mine is, it's like there's no skin like the skin has shrunk away. It is so painful. I'm in the process of trying to get a stoma nurse to see me. I hope you can find comfort too. I love the Beatles too. Paul was always my favorite. I have loved him since I was in the first grade. I'm 66 now. Lol

TerryLT
Reply to Lovesophie

I totally relate! I still think Paul should have married me, but I've forgiven him after all these years! LOL! I hope you can find an ostomy nurse to help you with your raw skin issue. That can be such a painful and annoying thing to deal with.

Terry

Homie With A Stomie NS

Try a barrier ring then the appliance... For me, no more burning and went from 4-day change to 7-day change.... Contact Coloplast for free sample before purchasing... I use a 2.7mm 1 every time