Hollister products not lasting since COVID - Any theories?

Replies
Views
gaetancharlebois

I have been having serious problems with my Hollister products since the pandemic started. Let me start with the fact that I have been using the same products for 13 years prior and there have been no changes to my weight. I was wondering if other ostomates have this issue. I used to get 4-5 days out of an appliance, now we're down to two and on some bad days I have to change twice in one day. Is it bad storage? Supply chain? I need some theories before I phone Hollister because they always find some way to blame it on me and to add new products to my routine. An average appliance change costs about $15 here. Thank God the government pays, but there is always the worry... terror that this *&#ing thing will leak in public (twice in the last month).

lovely

Sorry, you are having problems. I use Hollister products. The only problems I have had are a couple of wafers that don't stick to the skin well around the edges. I have just put some tape around the edges and it is good. Hope you can get your problems resolved. Best wishes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cbhines14

Check the date on the box. Sometimes if the weather is hot or too cold, it probably affects the product, I would think. Hollister did discontinue a couple of items on the flange size, so I had to redo my whole wardrobe. I call it.

Abefroman1969

I believe there is another member here that was having issues with her Hollister products as well. She managed to find appliance defects and called Hollister to let them know and had her supplies replaced. Her issue was tiny holes leading to leakage issues. My apologies for not knowing what thread she talked about it on. I will look around and see if I can find it.

My problem is that I just can't seem to attach my appliance properly. I go through phases where everything is great, and then I hit a rough spot where I can't seem to get the appliance to last longer than 48 hours.

Try this thread:

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12798

It may not help with your particular issue, but it's the same company with different issues. Hopefully, it helps by getting you in contact with Hollister and having them replace your defective products.

hambo999

Hi there, I use Salts mouldable seals and have been doing okay for a while, getting the odd leak. I sometimes get 2 days without a change, but for some reason, I am suddenly struggling to get a day. I am away at work on an oil rig for 21 days. I have been here for 16 and have had 3 complete failures. It is terrible. I don't know what's wrong? I have changed nothing, same routine. Even when it's not bursting when I change it, it's nearly there?

I am having a terrible time and don't know what to do?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Froh
Reply to lovely

Thank you so much.

Froh
Reply to cbhines14

Thank you!

Froh
Reply to Abefroman1969

Thank you! The thread was valuable and may indicate there are storage/stocking issues during the pandemic.

Froh
Reply to hambo999

I know the feeling. It's maddening we have to do so much expensive research to find what works!

Abefroman1969
Reply to Froh

Anytime my friend, I've received so much help here it was about time I was able to give something back.

I hope Hollister does the right thing and replaces your supplies.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to hambo999

I feel your frustration. Trying different ones and see what will work best, you will find one. Keep that faith.

TerryLT

Hi Gaetan, it was me the other member was referring to, and yes, I have had two separate issues with my Hollister products recently, but no problems with the wafer sticking, which is a much bigger deal I think. I had a pinhole near the bottom of the pouch that leaked from the moment I put it on. That only happened once, but several times now I've had pouches that leak through the vent. I always plug my vent up with a little sticker, but it's not enough to stop the leak on some pouches. My last one did the same thing, and I've decided from now on to put a piece of waterproof tape over the vent right from the start, and "assume" the thing is going to leak. Both times I called Hollister to complain, they were very apologetic and sent replacements to me, sending more product than I actually needed to replace the defective ones. I'm sorry you are experiencing what sounds like poor customer service (blaming you!) and I'm surprised to hear that. My pouches continue to give me really good wear time, I only change every six days. The expiry date on the side of the box is important, as the other member mentioned. I recently changed providers and took note that they were sending me product with really good expiry dates (latest batch is 2027/01/01) before deciding to stay with them. They are Canadian, by the way, if you are interested and have very good pricing. Check out CanMedDirect.ca. It might be worth it for you to change providers.

Good luck!

Terry

Superme

Bonjour Gaetan. I think the smoked meat, steamed hot dogs, poutine, and bagels are making your skin acidic and that's why the appliances may not be sticking! Just kidding!!!

I use Eakin seals under my two-piece Convatec, and I can wear it for at least 6 days. It is only by my choosing that I change at 4 days, sometimes 5. I just think wearing an appliance more than 4 days loses its freshness. I also choose not to buy pouches with a deodorizer. I never have leaks or, should I say, it has been over 20 years since I've had one, and that was because I used a completely different system. If you have any questions, just ask me. Mike

xnine

I have used Hollister products all along. That is what the hospital used. I have tried all the different rings and that is where I have had problems, not with the Hollister flanges and bags. I now use Salts rings and get 10+ days between changes. Works for me.

Mr.Heart2Win

New Imageā„¢ Two-Piece High Output Drainable Ostomy Pouch is a Hollister product which I recommend if you are having issues. It is hard to have a leak with this product, especially because it is made for high output. The item number is 18012. You can use a ring with it and it will last you for days.

Ask your doctor for a 'Medical Necessity' note so you can order more pouches per month. The process, as I know it, is your gastro doctor will send you to an ostomy nurse who will just take a look at your stoma and ask questions. Just answer that you have lots of liquid output, that everything turns to fluid; it's that simple. You take that and send it to your insurance company and voila, you get many more pouches per month. You can say you have three changes a day, and they will oblige. They have to.

There is a company called Byram, not the best but does the job if you don't want to pay upfront. It's the only company that works directly with insurance companies.

Skee

My recent supply of Hollister pouches arrived with a yellow note explaining changes made to the film.
Hollister claimed that the new pouches would perform as well as the previous ones with the film being more transparent (it's not. It is tan and opaque on the skin side), and has odor-resistant properties (not nearly as much as the previous pouches). An hour after attaching the first of the new pouches, I thought I had sprung a leak due to the odor.
On the plus side, the Velcro works much better and it seems to adhere to the skin better yet releases easily when changing.
I contacted Hollister by email and phone. I was told the film supplier no longer was able to supply film and Hollister is anticipating having their own film later this year or next.
They've received complaints about odor and the film making crinkling noises.

Texastom2

I am having issues with the wafer. They do not hold like they used to. Will be trying another brand on my next order. Going to try the EAKON brand.

Skee

Since my post regarding odor issues, I've received many samples from Hollister and have spoken and emailed extensively with one of their WOCN Nurses.
I have switched from the 8531 to 8961 which has Cera-Plus, venting and is pre-cut.
What an improvement! My skin is happier and I am happier.
Hollister will send samples if you request.