Need advice on leaks with new ileostomy - product recommendations and tips appreciated!

Replies
Views
douglasrbrown2

I am 3 weeks into my ileostomy and have been having leaks every day for the past week. The first 2 weeks I had Coloplast supplies that were given to me at the hospital. My home nurse ordered my round of supplies and they were from Hollister. Not sure if it is the product or if I am doing something wrong.

I'm a 59-year-old male, still working and active. I golf and play on 2 softball teams that will be starting soon. I was feeling good about the ileostomy until the leaks started occurring every day. I am looking for advice on products and any tips or tricks that anyone may have.

Thank you

Abefroman1969

I use Coloplast supplies. I had/have the same issues. The only advice I have is to take your time when changing appliances. That's what has worked best for me. I'm currently going through a period of leaks and can't seem to get my appliance attached properly. They are only lasting about 48 hours. The weeks prior, I was getting 8 days between changes, and that was a nice change from the 48-hour business. I'm hoping that by taking my time, the current appliance lasts at least 4 days. I'm on day 2.

Good luck, and my apologies if I've changed this post to "all about me".

I've had my ileostomy since January 26th of this year.

Best of luck with the Hollister supplies. They are my 2nd choice after Coloplast.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,697 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

Different bags from different companies work better or worse for different people, unfortunately there is quite a bit of trial and error sometimes to find the best one for you. I'd speak to your home nurse if I were you about maybe switching back to Coloplast, if they work well for you then why change to a different one? Obviously, people will have their individual preferences but sometimes the glue on one style of bag won't stick to you properly, or maybe the flange is the wrong shape for your stomach. If you had good success with Coloplast, I'd stick with them. (I'm a Coloplast user as well, the grey-colored Sensura Mio bags). Also, at first, it can be daunting trying to get the d# @ bag to stick so if you're not already, hold your hand over the bag firmly for a couple of minutes after sticking the new bag on - the warmth from your hand helps activate the adhesive. Also, with warmth, if you have access to a hairdryer, blowing warm air on the lowest setting for a few seconds onto the flange can also help. What I actually do is sit on a stool while changing and tuck it under my leg where I'm sitting, and warm the flange up that way (I don't own a hairdryer, and tbh don't really want to!). And there are plenty of ostomy YouTube channels with loads of information - Maggie from LetsTalkIBD, Amber from The Ostomy Diaries, and Eric from VeganOstomy just to name a few. Also, Hannah Witton (channel is the same name) has a whole load of stoma content. Her channel is mainly about sex education, but in amongst all that she has plenty of videos about ostomy life. Hope this all helps!

Past Member

Hi Douglas, I agree with Abe Meadow, if the Coloplast products worked for you, then continue to use them. I've had my colostomy since March 2020 and have always used Coloplast products. Good luck!

AlexT

The choice of products to use is very individualized, so I won't offer any advice on which to use/not use. I will say the hair dryer thing works well. I'll also add that only being at 3 weeks, you're still healing and your stoma is changing sizes as everything heals, so measuring accurately is important. I'll also ask if you're using a barrier ring or not? Good luck.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Cplumber

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I use an Ekin seal between my barrier and skin. It fills in the gaps. I also wear a belt 24/7, and that makes all the difference. When I wear a belt all the time, I get 8 to 14 days. If I don't, I get 3. The belt doesn't have to be anything fancy or be really tight, just to add a little pressure. Hope that helps.

I will be praying for you.

Cplumber

kdel

Hi Douglas,

I came home from the hospital in 2015 with Convatec supplies, and they were just okay. I have tried many different brands and products and have settled on Hollister for barriers, barrier rings, and pouches. They have a nice mini pouch that you may want to look into, once you solve your leakage problem. It is much shorter so it doesn't hit the top of your thigh, and it is much less obtrusive.

It is very important to protect your skin, especially if you have an ileo and you are experiencing leaks. Ileo output can really tear up your skin quickly. If you don't already use a barrier wipe, there are several out there you could check out. I use Cavilon wipes by 3M.

I am in Michigan and would be glad to help you in any way I can. Feel free to direct message me if you would like.

Kelly

William15

Hi Douglas.

I hope you manage to resolve this issue soon.

I've had my ileostomy for 20 years, and during this time, appliance leaks have been very rare. I have only ever used a Dansac Invent (Ref 337 - 15) 1-piece drainage ostomy pouch and have never considered trying any other product. I cut the flange opening myself and have never had to use any kind of accessory with my pouch. I have a very active lifestyle, work full-time, cycle, and travel, and have great confidence and faith in how efficient this product proves to be for me.

If you have a stoma nurse, they may be able to provide you with some trial sample products, including Dansac ones. Otherwise, you could request samples directly from the company.

Best,

W

Lilmac
Reply to Abefroman1969

I understand the frustration of having issues with the length of time between changes. I have a colostomy and had some of the same issues. I have recently started using a product called Skin Tac Wipe. It is a small packet like the adhesive remover and skin barrier wipes in the little foil packets. It seems to be some form of an adhesive wipe but it does work. True, it makes it a bit more challenging for bag removal as there is that extra layer of adhesive. But I can now extend the time between appliance changes by anywhere between 2-4 days. It is M S407W but try as I may, I can't find on the box a manufacturer. I hope this might be useful information.Skin Tac Wipe

Abefroman1969
Reply to Lilmac

It's very useful, thank you

Scicerchia

Hi, I've had my ileostomy since August of 21, so I'm a newbie lol. But the best supplies I've received are through 180 Medical, and they have Convatec fitted wafers for your stoma and Eakins for leaks. They also have a Convatec bag that clips over the wafer. So, I use the spray around the stoma to make it sticky, then the Eakins directly over the stoma. After that, I use the fitted wafer with stoma paste around the part that sticks to the skin. I can get up to 6 days without replacing the wafer. I might slide the bag off after 4 days because I have a high output. I hope this helps.

Old Bud

All good tips. The thing that finally stopped the leaks for me was taping all around the flange with Tegaderm tape strips about 2 inches wide. It stabilizes it from moving around, causing separation and leaks. I now get 7 days on a bag. Good luck.

Riva

Welcome. Education is key on this new journey of yours. I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It's our national organization. Also, Ostomy101.com. You will learn about foods, blockages, skin care, clothing, ostomy products, travel, activities, and a whole host of other tricks of the trade. You might also want to check out a local support group near you. Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours. Best of luck.

Riva

Also, soap. Soap with oils in them are a no-no. Ivory or Dial works best for me. Good luck.

Silly Illy

Lots of good advice here. I got started with Hollister products as well. When I had to reorder, I could not get the fancy skin barrier wipes, they were McKesson, and I got something comparable in the Hollister world. I immediately had issues with attachment. I found it makes a big difference to wait and make sure the products are dry before placing your bag on your skin. Also, I purchased different wipes. Finally, I notice that if I sleep on my side, it doesn't adhere as well. Best of luck to you!

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, I must say everything everyone is saying. Also, we all are different, but remember some things we eat cause gas and it makes it come apart, and that's me. Not sure about everyone else! But try everything, and sometimes I think it's the flange not sticking enough! I've been trying since 2013 to figure out how to stop them! Good luck.

Victoria

lisawilkinson96

Hi, I have a very high output ostomy since 2019. I have dealt with leaks constantly. I have found that Hollister wafers cut to fit 2pc system measured very carefully because stoma sizes change a lot early on, coupled with a ring from Convatec and stomahesive paste, and Convatec Sensi Care barrier wipes or 3M Cavillon wipes/spray work really well. I have used a thousand products lol. I also found that belly bands with inner pouches from Convatec help immensely to keep the bag against your body and prevent the weight from pulling the bag down. Keep trying new products. The big companies are generous with their samples and usually so are stoma nurses. I also use Micropore tape and barrier strips around the outside when I am going to be active. My stoma isn't in an ideal place for bending. Good luck

Past Member

Hi, I too had been experiencing leaks and needed to change my bag daily. I have an ileostomy which is often high output and watery. I had been using a one-piece Hollister. Even with careful cleaning, barrier spray, Brava seals, and flange extenders fitted all the way round, the output would still seep under the adhesive and cause the bag to leak and eventually detach. It would also make the skin sore around the stoma. This week, I have just tried some samples of the moldable Convatec Esteem one-piece. https://www.convatec.com/en-gb/products/pc-stoma-colostomy/esteem-plus-mouldable-drainable-pouch-with-inviseclose-and-lock-it-pocket
It's got a collar that fits snugly round the stoma. Early days but so far, no leaks, no need for flange extenders, and no sore skin. Might be worth a try

Simon

tracihulback

Ugh! I feel ya. I am a huge Coloplast fan. Their Mio is awesome. If you haven't already, I'd suggest calling Coloplast and maybe Convatec and ask for samples. They will help you determine what are good options. Coloplast has amazing service and are generous with their samples. I agree that each person may need a different product or brand so try different things. Also, are you using a barrier ring? It's a bit sticky and goes around your stoma and the wafer is put over it.

Good luck!

Traci

raynelson515

I initially used pre-moistened wipes to clean around the stoma and had lots of leaks. I found that the wipes had chemicals that interfered with the appliance sticking. Since stopping the use of the pre-moistened wipes, I have had no problems. I also use Hollister. Not sure if any of this applies to your situation but hope it helps. Good luck.