Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Salts stoma bags

Sun May 15, 2022 5:57 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

This one is probably mainly for the UK based ostomates - has anyone here tried Salts? Because I’ve been having a problem with tiny little dribbles of output leaking past the wafer and onto my skin, thus causing really red and damaged skin. My stoma nurse has sent me a few convex bags to try and sort out this issue, some being Sensura Mio from Coloplast, and some being Confidence BE from Salts. I was just curious to see if anyone here has used/is using anything from Salts? Until now I’ve only used Coloplast (granted, it’s not even three months yet with this stoma). With my last stoma from 2013-2015 I only used Coloplast as well. Oh, and I’m getting red skin where the baseplate goes with the Sensura Mio bags, hence why I’m hesitating to try the Coloplast convex bags. 

Sun May 15, 2022 8:11 am

I have no experience with salts as they don’t sell over here but really want to try, I had issues with coloplast products exactly like you describe, my issue was my stoma is shrinking finally and I was cutting my appliances too big leading to leaks and raw skin.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Sun May 15, 2022 9:10 am


Abefroman1969 wrote:

I have no experience with salts as they don’t sell over here but really want to try, I had issues with coloplast products exactly like you describe, my issue was my stoma is shrinking finally and...

I actually did a bag change just this morning and put on the salts bag, so I’ll se how it goes for me. Fingers crossed, coz my skin is quite pink from the Coloplast one. Although I might need to get some samples in the maxi size coz these standard size ones might be too small at night! I liken my stoma to the Cybermen in Doctor Who: it operates at maximum efficiency 😂 💩 

Sun May 15, 2022 9:12 am

I use the Salts Confidence BE bags all the time. I find them great. They stick really well and are a nice neat short bag compared to some of the others I tried at the start. 

Sun May 15, 2022 10:02 am


PipPop wrote:

I use the Salts Confidence BE bags all the time. I find them great. They stick really well and are a nice neat short bag compared to some of the others I tried at the start. 

That’s really good, thank you. If this one goes well I’ll probably think about switching over. I certainly like the look and feel of it, nice and sleek. 

Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

That’s really good, thank you. If this one goes well I’ll probably think about switching over. I certainly like the look and feel of it, nice and sleek. 

Hopefully your experience with them is as good as mine 

Sun May 15, 2022 12:50 pm

So jealous, only manufacturer that makes a Black appliance, can only get them on EBay in the US and they are expensive! 

I just changed today and had to use a hollister which I hate because of the ballooning, at least it isn’t transparent. Also seemed like everyone in the hospital decided to come visit me while I was almost nekkid laying on my bed trying to get the change done, no more standing changes for me 

Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm

I get really irritated spots around my stoma and find it’s usually due to a poor fit.  Initially I was told to leave a tiny space around stoma but thru experience now (2 years this Sept) I have learned to cut the hole smaller and that stuffing ole’ Seymour (my stoma’s name)  into a tighter space (hole) saves a whole lot of pain and agony for me - I am not sure about Seymour but at least he doesn’t complain like I do when I am uncomfortable !

Sun May 15, 2022 6:38 pm


Meadow Snow wrote:

I actually did a bag change just this morning and put on the salts bag, so I’ll se how it goes for me. Fingers crossed, coz my skin is quite pink from the Coloplast one. Although I might need to ...

Just curious Meadow...do you use any barrier spray before you put your wafer on or used a barrier ring...once I started doing that my redness went away.😘

Axl
Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi snow

I use the salts mouldable seals, but not the bags as I have never seen them, works for me.

Axl

Mon May 16, 2022 4:35 am


Rose Bud 🌹 wrote:

Just curious Meadow...do you use any barrier spray before you put your wafer on or used a barrier ring...once I started doing that my redness went away.😘

Yes Rose Bud, I was using both. I was initially using the barrier ring coz of mucocutaneous separation (when the stoma separates from the skin). But the barrier rings of course also helped with preventing skin damage from output. Not completely, hence trying out the salts convex bags, but without the barrier ring it was waaaaay worse. and I am also using barrier spray as well, it’s deffo helping a bit, I think. I’ll see how well or not the salts convex bags work, and go from there. So far so good, though! 💩👜😁 

Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 am


Axl wrote:

Hi snow

I use the salts mouldable seals, but not the bags as I have never seen them, works for me.

Axl

That’s awesome Axl, the barrier rings I use with the flat Coloplast bags are from dansac, but that was because of how and where on the peristomal skin the mucocutaneous separation was … well … separating. It was better for me to have the hole be off to one side so that the barrier ring could get more coverage at the bottom where it was needed. But I only changed the bag to the salts convex yesterday, so let’s see how much wear I get out of it!

Mon May 16, 2022 7:27 am

Meadow I truly hope it works for you!! 

I so wish they would send to the us .. I contacted them again in a personal email and got a reply this morning said thank you and we wish we did but we don't .. gggrrrr 

They are awesome looking you will be wearing some style girl 

Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 am


the current look

Mon May 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Hi I have been on  both but find  salts more secure and comfy I had a rash from adhesive with sensura convex  it's down to trial and error

Mon May 16, 2022 12:49 pm

One thing that will really help your red skin is to allow it to breathe for 10-15 minutes (or more) when you change.  Give it some air time before you apply the new wafer.  It's easy if you are lucky enough to have a quiet time in terms of output.  If not, covering your stoma with toilet paper or standing over the toilet works.  You'll be amazed at the impact that little bit of airtime will have on healing your skin.

Changing more often would mean less time for leakage to get on your skin, as well as more opportunity for this air time.

Mon May 16, 2022 1:02 pm

I love the salts bags. I don't know how I'd cope without this brand. I've never had leakage with them. Only if my output is watery then I put sachets in the bag to thicken it. Do you use a seal at all? I find Salta aloe to be very good . I think without them I would most probably leak too x

Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm

I use the Confidence Be bags - they were the only ones I could actually get to work without constant leaks. Plus they actually look ok in black (or white) - well  at least as ok as a bag of poo can look.

Mon May 16, 2022 1:16 pm


Meadow Snow wrote:

I actually did a bag change just this morning and put on the salts bag, so I’ll se how it goes for me. Fingers crossed, coz my skin is quite pink from the Coloplast one. Although I might need to ...

Hi. I had to use salts for a while as was cutting 65mm and found they leaked quite often but think was due to being overweight and having a hernia. Had operation recently and stoma size of belly button, no hernia and changed bags to the cp mio.

Mon May 16, 2022 3:30 pm


Beth22 wrote:

Meadow I truly hope it works for you!! 

I so wish they would send to the us .. I contacted them again in a personal email and got a reply this morning said thank you and we wish we did but we don...

When I contacted them they told me late 2022 or early 2023 they should be available in the US. 

I’ve found them on EBay out of Missouri the Confidence BE® line, but eBay doesn’t accept insurance and they were pretty expensive, I was thinking of getting some anyway just to try in anticipation of them becoming available in North America. 

I spoke to the rep in March of this year. 

Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm


Meadow Snow wrote:


the current look

See style girl!! I like the way those bags look they were smart to do black bags 

Tue May 17, 2022 6:19 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

That’s really good, thank you. If this one goes well I’ll probably think about switching over. I certainly like the look and feel of it, nice and sleek. 

I have a really high output Ileostomy, which is liquid as I don’t eat am fed via an NJ tube. I found the Salts bags actually leaked from the bottom, where you empty them. Probably okay if you don’t have a liquid output. I always have leakage/burning problems from around the stoma no matter what bag I try so can’t comment on that x

Tue May 17, 2022 6:19 am


Beth22 wrote:

See style girl!! I like the way those bags look they were smart to do black bags 

IKR? They look and feel so sleek, although the bag closure took some finding, I actually had to Google it! Turns out the closure tab is hidden between the fabric and the plastic. I love how I can have the classic black or put a bag cover over it, depending on how I want it to look. They also do white and nude colour bags as well, so you can coordinate it with your underwear 😂 🩲 💩 👜

Tue May 17, 2022 6:36 am

I use Salts as my stoma bag, they do tend to stick really well for me and I think it has some alo vera in the seal section. I found that the seal is quite soft and flexible so I would definitely recommend trying them. My stoma nurse gave me a choice and I stuck with Salts. We get them in Australia luckily.

Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

That’s awesome Axl, the barrier rings I use with the flat Coloplast bags are from dansac, but that was because of how and where on the peristomal skin the mucocutaneous separation was … well ...

There you have it its the cheap dansak. Great seal way to sticky and not good at all I had awful skin with those. Thought I'd mention

Wed May 18, 2022 6:13 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

IKR? They look and feel so sleek, although the bag closure took some finding, I actually had to Google it! Turns out the closure tab is hidden between the fabric and the plastic. I love how I can h...

Meadow..I so wish the would send to the us.. all these make me want to try the product even more lol and seeing how it actually looks on. Like I had said they were super smart with giving the black as a color option it looks sleek. How had it been working for you so far ? 

Wed May 18, 2022 7:37 am


Abefroman1969 wrote:

So jealous, only manufacturer that makes a Black appliance, can only get them on EBay in the US and they are expensive! 

I just changed today and had to use a hollister which I hate because of th...

Do you guys get Pelican bags over in the US? Coz I’ve been browsing their website and I noticed that their ModaVi line has black bags. I might have to try those as well, they look quite nice and sleek on the website!

Wed May 18, 2022 11:38 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

Do you guys get Pelican bags over in the US? Coz I’ve been browsing their website and I noticed that their ModaVi line has black bags. I might have to try those as well, they look quite nice and ...

I will have to look into it, having never heard of them I’m inclined to say no we don’t but it’s worth looking into, thanks for the tip Meadow, good looking out for us ungrateful colonists! 

Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 am


Meadow Snow wrote:

Do you guys get Pelican bags over in the US? Coz I’ve been browsing their website and I noticed that their ModaVi line has black bags. I might have to try those as well, they look quite nice and ...

The last I read, they don’t ship to the US but maybe it has changed. 🤷‍♂️

Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 am

I’ve messaged them on Instagram I’ll keep y’all posted on what happens 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours