Can I eat salads with a colostomy?

Replies
Views
debsmallback

I have a colostomy on my left side since January of this year! Can I eat salads? I love them.

AlexT

I haven't had an issue yet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,459 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello debsmallback.

I too like salads and indulge myself at least twice per week with no adverse effects.  However, we are all different in the way we process foods and it is wise to introduce these things in a methodical way so that if any individual thing within the meal has an adverse effect, then you can identify it and do something about 'it', rather than abandoning the whole concept of that type of meal. 

I was always told that tomatoes skins are indigestible and are likely to cause a problem, so I cut them up thinly for my salads and have had no problems at all. 

One of the consistent messages/ advice on here about any food is to chew-chew and chew again, and I feel that this also applies to salads. I like to have raw carrot in mine and at first I used to grate it so that it was already in small pieces before I got to eat it. However, part of the enjoyment for me was to crunch into it raw. so I now slice it into 'fingers' and make sure i chew it thoroughly.  This, and some of the other ingredients, are still identifiable in my output as having not been digested entirely ( & sometimes not at all!), but this does not stop me eating them and enjoying the experience.

I do hope that you can experiment with your meals to the extent that you will eventually be able to eat whatever you want without regretting it.

Best wishes

Bill  

Mauly Parker

Hello - I have a colostomy on my left side and both my nurse and surgeon told me not to have salads. Could cause blockage and a hospital visit. I do, however, cut tomatoes small, add feta and a balsamic reduction... So I miss a good salad!

TerryLT

I had a colostomy for a year, and could eat anything, including salads and all the other foods that ostomates are told to avoid or be careful with. I did not even pay particular notice to how much I was chewing. I now have an ileostomy, and I do have to be careful to chew, chew, chew, and keep well hydrated, but I can still eat anything. The thing is that everyone is different, and you have to experiment for yourself to find out what you can and can't tolerate. Generally though, people with colostomies, as opposed to ileostomies, don't have to worry so much about what they can eat. Don't be afraid to try things, just be careful to start small amounts of things you might be concerned about, i.e. salads. Enjoy!

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK

I also have a colostomy and have not had a salad since I got it in March 2020. I am so scared of getting a blockage, I just stick with cooked veggies.