Colostomy Reversal with Parastomal Hernia

Replies
Views
Arlo

I had emergency surgery with colostomy in December 2022, due to diverticulitis with abscess and perforation. I am a candidate for reversal, hoping within the next 5 months or so. I went in for the reversal in mid-April, but the surgeon had to stop. He said I had too much scar tissue and I need to heal longer. So I am waiting and healing. Meanwhile, I have developed a peristomal hernia. Does anyone know anything about this? Can they repair the hernia when I have the reversal? I am afraid of too much surgery and scar tissue.

RaenotRay

I'm not sure how large your hernia is or what your personal situation is. My midline incision was herniating when I had my ileostomy reversal. My surgeon has opted to repair it in a separate surgery. It wasn't herniated at the point of anastomosis, so maybe they'll opt to do it all together. I know what you mean concerning surgeries and scar tissue. My journey began much like yours. Hang in there, friend.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

When I was in the ward post-surgery in March this year, the lady in the bed next to me (who I've now become close friends with) had just had her stoma reversed. She told me that for almost the entire time she had her bag, she also had a parastomal hernia. Thankfully, her surgeon repaired the hernia at the same time as performing the reversal.