Ostomy Memories of Earthworms

Replies
Views
HenryM

DIGGING A HOLE FOR A PLANT the other day, I encountered a wriggly earthworm.  Not wishing to harm the little creature, I shoveled him carefully aside while I completed the hole.   If you have good soil, you have earthworms and, although these elongated, soft-bodied animals may seem gross and disgusting to some people, they serve a useful purpose.  In fact, they share a singular trait with people who have ostomies, as the worm excretes as it moves along.  His excretions, called castings, aren’t caught up in an ostomy bag but, rather, remain in the soil to produce compost.  Worms are invertebrates, meaning they have no backbone, which may be responsible for the word ‘worm’ being used as a pejorative epithet to describe a cowardly, weak or pitiable person.  But in truth, in your garden, they may be a super hero.

AlexT

LOL. That's a good one, Henry. It took me a minute. Back to actual worms, the area that I live in Omaha is well known for guys going out after a rain and picking up buckets full of worms for fishing. You can collect enough in one night to last a season if you keep them correctly. Plus, when I was in college a few decades ago, I took classes on climate and soils. I don't remember the number, but the number of worms per acre (I think it was) is staggering.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,497 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

Maybe we should all rename our ostomies Wormy in honor of the humble earthworm. Wait, my stoma Michael is telling me he very much likes the name Wormy, but wishes to still be called Michael.

HenryM
Reply to AlexT

I saw that too, about how many worms there are per acre, and that they come up for the moisture during and after a rain. 

SallyK

They are definitely the superheroes of the garden. When I made my raised beds for vegetables last year, I added worms. worm emoji

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ron in mich

Hi all, as a kid growing up, I was always looking to make money, with a paper route, mowing lawns, etc. And summer time picking nightcrawler worms which we sold at a friend's family gas station. Occasionally, we would be asked to man the pumps, meaning to pump gas while whoever was in charge that day was eating lunch or working on a car. Gas at that time was 29.9 cents a gallon. To care for the worms, we had an old oval-shaped tub and we would put a layer of dirt, then a layer of moss, and then a layer of what was called buss bedding. We would put about 3-4 dozen worms in that to sell at 50 cents a dozen.