Filtered vs Non-Filtered Pouches: Leaks & Humidity

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the pros and cons of using filtered and non-filtered pouches in managing leaks and humidity for ostomy care.
Doe1mama

We're interested in knowing thoughts on filtered vs non-filtered pouches? Also, my husband has had more leaks the past 2 weeks. Wondering if the high humidity has anything to do with it?

And a big thanks regarding the remarks about mineral oil in the forum. He was having some pancaking and that really did help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Doe1mama

And you don't feel like either is related to leaking around the flange or causing pancaking?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

I have always worn filtered bags and I deal with pancaking quite a bit. I have the worst issues with pancaking when my bag is new compared to once it's been on for awhile. I figure once the filter gets plugged, it works better. So, I'd go with unfiltered if you have a choice.
As far as high humidity, it could be an issue but I'm fairly confident I put my bag/ring through way more than most when it comes to being exposed to high heat/humidity and I don't have any issues. Has anything changed in the last 2 weeks that may be causing the leaks?

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

Good question. Nothing has really changed physically, but it may have been my fault. We are in the process of moving and I may have been rushing the process and not allowing it to get a tight enough fit.

AlexT
Reply to Doe1mama

Maybe not a physical change but it could be something subtle like you started using soap to wash the area with or a different soap, not getting the area completely dry (might be the being in a hurry part), different product, etc.

Like I said, I'm very hard on my bag/ring with all the sweating I do and being in the heat so much and I've yet to have any issues. Good luck, dealing with leaks would be a real pain in the front butt.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Afternoon Doe...I'm an ileo and only use filters...Only cover filter when in shower...does balloon some still but mostly along with heavy output...I also use baby oil to avoid pancaking as well a little air in the bag helps it drop....I never notice smell escaping from filter but thus far this is with Coloplast products...will be trying new filter in a Hollister next change....

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

I agree, it does seem to pancake less with a used pouch. I guess the best thing is to empty as soon as we see pancaking.

AlexT
Reply to Doe1mama

Pretty much what I do. It may not be a lot but it drives me nuts to feel it just sit in a blob on my stoma.

Beth22

Hi there,

I use Coloplast and I started off with filtered bags and I changed to unfiltered. The filter with me would get clogged within an hour or so. Also, for me, the filter would suck like vacuum-sealed even with covering the filter so I switched.