Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,789 members
Next >

Pain

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:35 am
"MeetAnOstoMate is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

When did you start to feel better? I’m almost 3 weeks out of surgery and they placed an ileostomy. Diverticulitis with major complications. Ended up being 8 hour surgery to remove all infection and abscesses. And had to take ovary and Fallopian tube. I also 4 months ago had double knee replacements not knowing I’d be dealing with recent surgery. I’m struggling with mild abdominal pain and back pain. Just not feeling like I’m progressing enough. Thanks!

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:49 am

Howdy JennT....Like you I am an ileo since March/22 with an 8 hr operation with placement of stoma and removal of much more...in my 4 month with occasional discomfort but more from other stuff than the ileostomy....remember u are recovering from najor surgery and not just the ileo part ...every part of ur body has to heal and adjust....each day it gets better

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,789 members
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:20 am

Oh my!  Sorry you had to go thru all that. Maybe it was adhesions not abscesses maybe. Everybody heals differently and you went through a little more than typical, I would guess you’d have a couple more weeks but make sure to take it easy so you don’t tear anything. I’ve had more than my fair share of surgeries and usually takes about a month. 

Good luck 

I will be praying for you 

cplumber

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:47 pm

Your body has been beat up good, give it time. Take your pain pills regularly before the pain gets worse. Eventually, you’ll start to wean yourself off of them and notice you can move a little more each day without issue. Good luck. 

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 am

Homie With A Stomie NS wrote:

Howdy JennT....Like you I am an ileo since March/22 with an 8 hr operation with placement of stoma and removal of much more...in my 4 month with occasional discomfort but more from other stuff than...

👋 Hi Mommabear, I hope you are well? I have loads of questions for you!!! You're about 3 months post op ahead of me! Will you're ileostomy be reversed? Has the tenderness of you abdomen subsided? Have you gone swimming in the sea? In a swimming pool? (We don't swim in lakes much in Ireland) what's your stoma output like? Have you got it to between 800ml and 1,000ml? You seem very upbeat and content I'm getting there. I will be 8 weeks post op on Friday  coming but trying to put on weight is a struggle. MY diets is very starchy (no issue there, I love potatoes- well I am Irish!!!😂 rice, pasta etc., but refined foods and high calorie foods are included too. Regards Mabsie Moll🙋🏼‍♀️💕

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:35 am

Mabsie Moll wrote:

👋 Hi Mommabear, I hope you are well? I have loads of questions for you!!! You're about 3 months post op ahead of me! Will you're ileostomy be reversed? Has the tenderness of you abdomen subsided...

good morning Mabsie Moll ....

My ileostomy is permanent they removed all of my large bowel plus some....

My tenderness has subsided get the odd pain or stitch every now and then as the tummy tightens and strengthens

I haven't been swimming as of yet bot much of a water baby but shower everyday and have a good tub soak as well and with bag on 1 time per week bag off for shower and change

My stoma output for most part is liquidy especially after soda or coffee but again changes with what I eat or snack on, I don't measure output as I empty everytime I pee lol

Weight is also my struggle but get weighed every 2 weeks and after 3 months gained a pound or ounces for last 2 months but it is certainly is slow but it's happening my lastest is fully loaded potatoes no skins of course and eat and snack 4-5 times per day and make sure I salt foods as well...when this started I was 178 after surgery 130 and now 138 3 months later and I take chemo every 2 weeks....so weight will come....just eat and eat hun add it slowly 

I refuse to let this stop me from enjoying life and having fun it is what it is I poop like everyone else just in a bag lol. ..Hope I answered ur questions please feel free to ask away love... or email me tmhaworth35 at gmail dot com

Have a great day

Your homie with a stomie

Tracy

Last edited by Homie With A Stomie NS on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:14 am

turns out it was emergency surgery my bowel perforated....apparently was very large tumor after radiologist examined it came back stage 4 bowel cancer as well hence chemo now every 2 weeks...... so 8 hrs later large bowel gone and my stumpy arrived 

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:31 pm

I feel your pain. I have different problems but same parallels. I had a failed urostomy and had to have it redone. Oh… the pain!! Was in surgery 6 hours. My first urostomy leaked and cause urine inside my abdomen. I had knee replacement surgery 5 weeks ago so I know the struggle!! I also have colon pain everyday. One Dr said it could be UC but Im not sure. Its the last thing I need. 

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:23 pm

Gosh reading different people's experiences here, I think we probably all thinknthang goodness I can handle my own situation cos other people-  to me at any rate -appear to have gone through the ringer. I cant imagine the pain you may be in momma bear. Respect 😬🙋🏼‍♀️

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.