Juicing with NutriBullet for Ileostomy: Safe and Nutritious?

Replies
Views
Erikalaz

Hi. I am new to this group. My son is 26, he is scheduled for completion proctectomy surgery in a few weeks' time. Last March he had subtotal colectomy and end ileostomy. His sigmoid was too inflamed to be removed, which is what they are removing and the rectum.

His surgeon gave 2 bits of advice.

1... lose some weight as healing will improve post-surgery and eat accordingly (because of my son's liver enzymes have been elevated)

2... he also said to make sure his intake of protein is high.

I was wanting to start juicing for him to ensure he is getting all nutrients and as much protein as possible leading up to surgery.

Please help me in what veggies are high in protein and safe for ileostomy? I've read that many cause gas, etc., and have also read that appliances like the NutriBullet are not the thing to use as they pulverize the fruit/veggies, not extracting the fiber. I would really appreciate some insight.

Thanks

Erika

AlexT

Yep, protein and more protein. It's what truly helps to heal the wounds. This is what I take. 1 big scoop and I use milk for the liquid. Tastes just like hot chocolate except it's cold. I also eat high protein yogurt, it's called Ratio. It's 2-4 times higher in protein than most yogurts. Eggs, chicken, steak, etc. For veggies I pretty much just eat steamed broccoli, peas, baked potatoes, and French fries. I'll make fruit smoothies with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas. However, the little seeds coming into the bag drive me nuts to clean out so I don't do them often. Peanut butter is a great protein and you can make all sorts of protein bars with it, I usually just load it up on toast every morning. I'd avoid using things with high fiber, could possibly lead to a blockage and you could have higher than normal output. I will say I have a colostomy and not an ileostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Erikalaz

Thank you so much for all this information. It really helps. I was wanting to juice for my son for protein and given his liver function results, I also need to be careful of what he eats. It's hard.

The peanut butter and protein contained is great to know, I didn't know. He is also lactose intolerant. If you were to use a juicer, which veggies would you recommend? Thanks again!

Erikalaz
Reply to AlexT

Thank you so much for all this information. It really helps. I was wanting to juice for my son for protein and given his liver function results, I also need to be careful of what he eats. It's hard.

The peanut butter and protein contained is great to know, I didn't know. He is also lactose intolerant. If you were to use a juicer, which veggies would you recommend? Thanks again!

AlexT
Reply to Erikalaz

If I were to use a juicer for vegetables, I'd make sure the juicer separated the pulp from the juice. With that being said, and when I used to juice a lot, I'd go with carrots, beets, kale (if you can), and spinach.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Longroad78
Reply to Erikalaz

I was in the same boat on the lactose intolerance. Costco sells a veggie protein shake. I drank it with almond milk, but good lean chicken and eggs work good. My liver enzymes were elevated but never knew what they were before the surgery. I was eating like a teenager with fried food and fast food that led to level one fatty liver. I changed my diet and reduced simple carbs and no eating out. When I was hungry, I made myself eat half of what I wanted and the weight started to come off. Soft steamed vegetables worked good. The reduced weight before surgery does help.

Wish you'll the best.

Axl

Hello Erica

After my surgeries, I have always hit the baked beans, hamburger meat, eggs, bananas, roast potatoes, and any soft vegetables steamed. I always had the opposite problem of needing to put weight back on and lots of protein. I have never juiced, so I am unfamiliar with the results, but I would think juicing could cause too much loose output, just a thought.

Axl

ron in mich

Hi Erica, I've had an ileostomy for a long time. After surgery, I ate a lot of pasta with meat sauce and also yogurts to get the good bacteria in the gut healthy. Like Alex, now I make fruit smoothies with bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a local one called thimbleberries, along with some cinnamon, some honey, and lactose-free milk. But now that we have farmers markets going on, I also do green smoothies with kale, spinach, radish, cilantro, cucumber, salt, pepper, water, and a little white vinegar.

zackpatjunior

Juice is a good idea, light solid food like mashed potato later. Easy on the new "plumbing". I had the same surgery over 40 years ago. Your worst is past now. Stay on this app, lots of us have been there, done that. I could write a book, but who'd read it? Appliance advice from all of us later.

Chiquis
Reply to Erikalaz

Pea protein is good for juicing. Arbonne protein powder is made with pea protein. Since he is lactose intolerant, this is better than whey protein powders. Add fruits, vegetables, especially banana because it helps with the diarrhea that is frequently found. The job of the colon is to absorb fluid. If it is removed, then there is more diarrhea. Fluid intake is extremely important to avoid dehydration. I would speak with a Registered Dietitian for more information. Add foods slowly. Never add more than one new food every 3 days. Hope this helps.

Merijane

New to Maryland (DMV)

I've been through many, many surgeries and putting on the protein weight is so important. I've never liked the Costco Shakes but they are one of the highest protein drinks available. Of course, a well-rounded diet is always a plus. Never been a fan of juicing after losing the battle to a juicer filled with beet juice all over my new kitchen. :P Good luck, the protectomy surgery at this stage in the game will be his best friend. 5 stoma revisions later no one will touch my abdomen. Great move!

Roberta
Reply to Erikalaz

I loved juicing. Buy a good juicer machine for just the liquid. Stay away from the pulp. I juiced for 10 years or more. It's good to get your veggies and fruits. Do invest in a book on juicing.

Redondo

There are quick and easy high protein drinks that you can buy at Costco or Walmart that come in a variety of flavors, even a cafe latte flavor. Walmart also sells a Great Value high protein yogurt with fruit that is very good. You can also get waffles (Kodiak) that are very high in protein. There are also English muffins that are high in protein, too. Not sure about veggie smoothies or drinks because I would think they might create a gas problem.

Best of luck with your son's surgery. I had mine all done at the same time, which in looking back was probably not a good idea since I had a lot of inflammation and for a few years post-surgery had problems with fistulas back there, likely due to the remaining Crohn's inflammation that was back there. This was almost 50 years ago. All good now.

kdel

Do not look to vegetables for protein. He needs to eat meat. Meat is highly digestible and the nutrients are very bioavailable. Some vegetables do contain protein, but their amino acid profile is not complete, they are full of indigestible fiber, and their nutrients are not nearly as bioavailable.

Odinsbeard117

Don't do juicing. He's gonna need fiber to lose that juicing. Just give him lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

Marinate some chicken breasts and steaks and grill them, then dice it up on top of a salad.

I've been living with an ileostomy since I was 9, 30 years. I'd suggest him staying away from oranges and citrus fruit like that. I have had a hard time digesting the white skins, which can cause blockages.

If he's feeling icky, I suggest cabbage and sauerkraut. It flushes me out good.

Doe1mama

After my husband's surgery a few years ago and then his ileostomy, I made Ensure smoothies. We blended the high protein Ensure with fruit and/or yogurt.

TEA17

I have an ileostomy and have in the past used a juicer. I would juice an apple for taste, carrot, beet, kale, small piece of ginger. Not in a bullet but a regular juicing machine. Need to get a good one. His output after drinking this concoction may be liquid for a while. I also used to drink a protein drink with whey powder and milk.

Past Member

I've had an ileostomy for almost a year now and find that I can't eat any vegetables even if they are completely emulsified. Too much fiber causing lots of watery output. I felt I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed so I purchased a Breville Juice Fountain, which I highly recommend, and started juicing my fruits and veggies. My favorite is simple – kale and pineapple – exotic and refreshingly yummy! I'm vegan so every morning I have Vega Sport Protein powder (30g of vegetable protein per serving) and mix with coconut water and soy milk. I eat lots of organic tofu, veggie burgers (without sunflower seeds etc) and peanut butter. My naturopath assured me that it doesn't matter what kind of protein – animal or plant – it's all good.