Hollister Convex Drainable Pouches: My Disappointing Experience

Replies
Views
Homie With A Stomie NS

Ok, so I had to calm down a bit before I posted....
Most know me for my positive attitude and I am not easily rattled, BUT TODAY not soooo.

I am a little pissed and frustrated.....AND I know many will disagree with this post and that's OKAY as I am ONLY TALKING about my personal experiences....

I had received a box of 5 convex drainable 1-piece samples from Hollister and let me tell ya, I am past done with this product line....

I did everything the exact same way that I do with my true blue Coloplast products, nothing different except the brand of pouches. Every damn Hollister pouch, except for 1, had either a left or right side blowout even after the 1st blowout. I added tape around the whole flange area and the skin still blew through 1 side or the other. The 5th 1 leaked in the bottom corner by the drain flap, even after adding their Hollister ostomy belt for added security, and none lasted more than 12 hours... Exactly the same routine, exactly!!!!!

All I can say is thank god I was home (we just got home from a town visit) and not out and about. Being covered in and smelling like this is not my idea of a good day. There is no way I will ever again trust and go out and about with a Hollister product...NEVER

I wonder if the samples sent are from the reject line. Hey Hollister, if they are rejected, there is a reason and it's not to give the corporate office FREE sample packs......

If this would have happened whilst out in public, I would have lost it. Not to mention the embarrassment and humiliation it would not have only caused me but my spouse as well....our town is so small, they all know your business before you do!!!!

I do not have benefits that cover my supplies. I pay out of pocket for it all and I'm so glad I got to try before I buy, cause if I spent on this product, I would be requesting a refund and more. It has also scared me enough that I don't wanna try any more FREE samples ....

I am extremely happy for all who have had great lasting results with Hollister and other products. This girl is a Coloplast girl going forward or until their stuff goes to crap...

It seems as the world has gone to in a handbasket. Everyone is cutting corners and doing everything on the cheap. These products we have no choice but to have on our bodies. It is an expensive necessity of our lives and peace of mind. You would think manufacturing could think if this was them, what do we need this to do, etc. Why is it I can wear Coloplast convex drainable 1-piece and barrier ring with no extra tape or belt required for 7 days and never have a blowout or leaky drain flap, and they are cheaper for 10 bags per box versus a box of 5 Hollister convex drainable 1-piece. Absolutely ridiculous....

I was beyond hopeful for the Hollister products. Although they are more expensive, I loved the lightweight of the pouch itself, the bigger peek window, the extra secured strips on the flange, the ceraplus on the flange great on skin, the color of the front flap, but all the good is no good if you get a few hours of wear and then a bomb goes off inside your clothing or bedding.... Boy, I feel better letting this out of the bag

That was my day. Thank you for reading my rant and allowing me to vent, now back to the old positive me and remind myself it could have been worse; NOT.....

Have a great day all....

Tracy

ps: stick to what ya know. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....the results sometimes suck

AlexT

What a crappy deal. I wear flat Hollister bags and have no issues. I got an order for their convex bags one time and they would last until I took a shower and then pop off up to the barrier ring.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

So sorry this happened to you, Tracy! I wear the soft convex, one-piece, drainable Hollister myself, and I have only had one instance where there was a fault in the seam that stitches the pouch to the flange and it leaked. They sent me a box to compensate, and I've not had an issue since. I go six days between changes. I sure hope what you experienced is not a sign of things to come!

My experience with Coloplast has not been good; I never could get one to stay on more than a couple of days without leaking.

Terry

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to TerryLT

Awww, hunny, thank you... I just needed to vent. It's part of mate life trial-and-error.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to AlexT

Evening Alex T... I wish I could try a flat. Wonder if I do a ring with a flat, it would work?

My location is low to some apparently... can't wear mine outside of pants etc and have a drop at the bottom half of stoma area, so flat is flat on me with a gap lol....

I did send them an email, so we will see from there... I'm no quitter, just a shitter lol

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

That's what I do, flat bag with a ring.

w30bob

Hi HWS,

Well first off, sorry to hear about your not-so-successful tryout with the Hollister products. Me thinks you're being a little tough on ol' Hollister......it's awful tough to make a product that works for everyone.......as there's a lot of different people out there with different skin, perspiration, surface contours, etc. We're just lucky to have 3 major vendors whose products are different enough to work for the majority of us. And it's also why they give out free samples, as one product doesn't work for all. I think you can find folks who would say the exact same thing you're saying.......about other vendor's samples. You really do have to try them out to find out what works and what doesn't. There's really no other way.

I make it a point to never leave the house until I've tried something at least 3 times and it's successful. I know that might be impossible for many, but I've had the obvious leak while out and about a couple of times and was lucky enough to get home before it got real bad. But it's not a fun day, regardless.

Your only option is to try different products until you find something that works and you like. But I do tend to agree with you in that if you have something that works.......don't drive yourself nuts trying to find something better. Do it at your leisure, but don't expect miracles.........and you might just be pleasantly surprised.

Here's hoping your night goes better than your day!!

;O)

Bill

Hello Tracy.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and frustrated feelings about when things don’t go as you might wish.  Thanks also to those who have replied with empathy and understanding as it helps to put these things into perspective.

It reminds me of some selected words to a song (sung by Mary Hopkin) that sometimes spring to mind when someone takes me back in time to when things did not go entirely right for me either!

“ Those were the days my friend

I thought they’d never end--.”

I got so fed up with leaks, blow-outs and all that shit, that eventually I decided that I could probably do a better job at making the base-plates myself – to suit my particular body shape and needs.

In my case, I figured that part of the problem was that the part of my body below the stoma  fell away compared with the midline and the top. This meant that I needed as ‘prosthetic’ base-plate which compensated for this peculiarity.  Once the shape was identified and rectified I had no more problems as I also made it to accommodate two holding belts. The top being a different length to the bottom.

Switching to irrigation would have worked well except that the irrigation sleeve simply blew off with the water pressure (what a mess!) When I attached the sleeve to my own base-plate, Hey presto! No more problems.

I have made a few adaptations over the years and one of the most successful involves a small protrusion of wastepipe on the base-plate – to which I can attach and detach attach a 90degree bend once the water has been put in when irrigating. This bend simply gives the stoma enough room to work without pancaking and guides the waste down into the bag/sleeve without any splash-back.

In my opinion, there are few things in life that are more embarrassing and frustrating than having stoma ‘accidents/incidents’  - especially in public.

I firmly believe that, for some people, only a bespoke fitting will resolve the longer-term issues.

Recently, I have been looking for some medical adhesive to replace the now defunct 7730. And have come across a few good alternatives in the field of ‘prosthetics’.  This has got me thinking that stoma devices could easily be defined as a ‘prosthetic’ and, looked at from this perspective, it tends to open up a whole range of different possibilities for resolving some of the problems we face.

What we need now is a ‘cottage industry’ where skilled artisans would be willing to assess the problems and devise solutions on an individual basis.

Best wishes

Bill

Lilly78
Reply to Bill

I use a product called Infusion Independent, it's like a lollipop stick that you put around the edge of the bag, then around the edge of your skin. I couldn't do without them!! But this is in the UK, I don't know if you have them in America.

SallyK

What a shit show. I'm a Coloplast gal.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to w30bob

Morning handsome... Appreciate the response and you are so right.... it's not just Hollister (in my case it is) and yes we are lucky we have vendors for products but they are luckier we purchase their products and yes we pay whether it be in benefits or out of pocket....

I going forward am going to do the 3 try method with any other samples ty...

Hugs as always

Tracy

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Bill

Morning Bill... Thank you for your amazing reply. I knew many have had the same experience with all the top providers in one form or another..

In this case, after reflecting, I came to the conclusion "Thank God I was home" so in the end, it was a good day!!!!

Have a great Monday

Tracy

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to SallyK

Lol....hunny it certainly was what a mess...

Stay well and have a superfine Monday

Tracy

ron in mich

Hi Tracy, sorry to hear about your ordeal. I use Convatec 2pc. appliance and though sometimes uncomfortable when bending over, I have never had a failure pouch or wafer. However, I did have a clip failure a couple of times due to using a clip for too long. The worst was at work while talking to a coworker at shift change and felt the shit running down my leg. It was a quick about-face and run to a bathroom down the hall to clean up. I tucked the end of the pouch over the edge of my undies and headed home.

SallyK

Happy Monday, Tracy, my East Coast buddy!

weewee

I wore Hollister for the first 7 years, but they wouldn't stick to me. They were too flat and in an old scar, so I had blowouts all the time. Finally, Coloplast came out with one that fits my round belly. They still don't stick for 7 days, but they do make it a couple of days. If I don't do anything but sit in my chair, that way no sweating or twisting, the location I got is high up by the no longer there belly button.

Well, everyone, have a good day.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to ron in mich

OMG Ron, that's awful! So sorry that happened... I can't imagine this happening outside of home. I do have a to-go packed bag and complete change of clothes that stays in our car...

Thank you for sharing.

Happy Monday!

Tracy

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to weewee

Morning, Weewee. Thank you for your response... Have you tried wearing the Coloplast belt after you put on the pouch? Do you use a one-piece? Did you try adding adhesive before applying?

Tracy

weewee

Yes, I have done all the extra stuff to make it stick. I would never wear a one-piece. I wasn't a fan of them. I fart too much, so for me, the two-piece was easier. I don't cut the bag when cutting the hole. Coloplast has a new wrap out that works nicely. That was also new a couple of months ago. It lasts about three months before it starts to go bad.

Renfromtexas
Reply to TerryLT

I wear Coloplast and change it out every 7 or 8 days. I have even gone 9 days. I never had a leak one time. Although I'm not really active or working. And I shower using Press and Seal over it with waterproof tape.