Tips for Adjusting to Life with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
charnehart92

Hi. I have been struggling with ulcerative colitis for the past 20 years and recently got an ileostomy.

Any tips and tricks you guys can help me with? This is still very new to me and something to get used to.

HenryM

Hiya.  You should click on "Premium Content" where you'll find all sorts of topics of interest to you.  Just follow your nose and you'll learn a lot there, then you can pose any specific questions that you have via the Forum.  Stay well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Welcome to the site! There are boatloads of tips and tricks here, but as Henry said, you'd need to be a little more specific. There are lots of us here to help.

Terry

SallyK

Welcome!

eefyjig

Welcome aboard!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi and welcome to the site, I would say stay hydrated by drinking a variety of fluids not just water but stay away from the carbonated ones or in small amounts.

Ritz

Welcome. You can ask anything here. It's the best informational site with all of us in the same boat.
I also have an ileostomy... as time goes by you'll realize just to own it. It's part of you and you won't be suffering anymore. I too went through 19 years of a rare form of colitis and I thank my surgeon every day for making the new me.
We're all here for you... take your time, Ritz

Little Stinker

Welcome! I am a new ostomate too. I had my colostomy in the middle of this month.

It does take some getting used to, doesn't it? The thing I have had the hardest time with is the gas and smell and how to deal with it. I have found that keeping a diary of what I am eating is helping a lot! I still have a long way to go but am so relieved to be out of pain. I am so grateful for this surgery and look forward to getting my life back.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery time and an easy adjustment!

ron in mich
Reply to Little Stinker

Hi LIL Stinker, you can counter the odors by taking chlorophyll tablets or eating leafy greens like parsley, cilantro, or spinach.