Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

No Output, No Blockage

 
This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Ahoy Ostomates! I really need your help! My 35 year old, non-verbal, autistic son has had his ielostomy for 8 months ago.  For the past several weeks he has experienced low to no output, intermittent abdominal pain, followed by gushing of watery output sometimes 400 - 800 ml. We are currently in the hospital and CT scans and an ileoscopy shows he does not have a blockage. His doctors seems baffled. Have any of you ever experienced this or have any idea what might be causing it? Help please!

 

I went to the er for pain and no output like that and ct showed I didn't have a blockage but a barrier ring and wafer was on to tight(from my old doctor) and had blocked off her flow... And have they put there finger in there or check to see if there is a blockage just beneath the surface?

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members
 


Beth22 wrote:

I went to the er for pain and no output like that and ct showed I didn't have a blockage but a barrier ring and wafer was on to tight(from my old doctor) and had blocked off her flow... And have th...

Yes, the doctor has inserted his finger several times, as well as inserted a catheter, that did produce a small amount of output. I will request a WOCN nurse to review the stoma size I have been using and how I am applying his pouch. Thanks Beth22, I really appreciate the info!

 

Of course.. I wish I could try and give more suggestions.. I hope he feels better and you get the answers

 

Hi if he had his ostomy longer i would say scar tissue constricting and releasing some output but if he isnt having much pain or only occasional pain thats probably not it. i have crohns and that causes scarring and slows output and finally a blockage so i had resection surgery, also certain heavy foods cause the bowel to twist and cause a temporary blockage.

 

Hi formy,

  So a couple things to ponder...........when you say they did a CT scan that can mean a lot of things.  There are different varieties of CT, and the experience of the radiologist all come into play.  Did they do a CT with contrast?  I just had a good conversation with a GI Doc about the plusses and minus of using CT scan data to find obstructions and bowel thickening.  In her opinion it all came down to the talent of the radiologist.  But she told me the new "gold standard" for imaging bowel is MR Enterography, because it has no ionizing radiation, excellent soft tissues contrast, post-contrast evaluation of the bowel and real-time cinematic imaging of bowel peristalsis. The downside is it takes longer than a CT and some folks get claustrophobic being in the scanner for 20 minutes or so.  Another thing to consider is that when they do an ileoscopy (viewing thru the stoma) they don't view the entire small bowel........just what they can reach fairly easily.  They don't want to perforate the bowel or things get interesting real fast.  The other thing they typically do is to look into the small bowel from the other end..........thru the mouth and thru the stomach (upper endoscopy).  I assume that wasn't done.  If it were me I'd inquire about an MRE and upper endoscopy.......because something isn't right in there.  You have to stay on top of these medical folks.........there's really no reason they can't accurately image the whole small bowel properly and determine what's going on....but it takes talent!  Keep us in formed with your son's progress.

;O)

bob   

 


w30bob wrote:

Hi formy,

  So a couple things to ponder...........when you say they did a CT scan that can mean a lot of things.  There are different varieties of CT, and the experience of the radiologist all ...

Thanks w30bob for very interesting info. Yes, he had a CT with contrast. He is also schedule for an upper endoscopy, but not until early October. I will definitely ask about the MRE.  The latest theory is that because he has no body fat his small intestine is just sort of dangling around with nothing to hold on to and occasionally gets wrapped around his stoma. When he is in pain he doesn't eat or drink and his weight had dropped so low, 88lbs, his dr. opted for a PICC line and TPN to get his weight up as soon as possible before looking at any other invasive procedures. He has been doing better the past two days and I pray he continues to improve. We are scheduled to leave the hospital on Tuesday and continue TPN at home at least for 1 month. Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

 


w30bob wrote:

Hi formy,

  So a couple things to ponder...........when you say they did a CT scan that can mean a lot of things.  There are different varieties of CT, and the experience of the radiologist all ...

Thanks w30bob for very interesting info. Yes, he had a CT with contrast. He is also schedule for an upper endoscopy, but not until early October. I will definitely ask about the MRE.  The latest theory is that because he has no body fat his small intestine is just sort of dangling around with nothing to hold on to and occasionally gets wrapped around his stoma. When he is in pain he doesn't eat or drink and his weight had dropped so low, 88lbs, his dr. opted for a PICC line and TPN to get his weight up as soon as possible before looking at any other invasive procedures. He has been doing better the past two days and I pray he continues to improve. We are scheduled to leave the hospital on Tuesday and continue TPN at home at least for 1 month. Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

 


ron in mich wrote:

Hi if he had his ostomy longer i would say scar tissue constricting and releasing some output but if he isnt having much pain or only occasional pain thats probably not it. i have crohns and that c...

Hi Ron in Mich, 

Can you elaborate on the "certain heavy foods that cause the bowel to twist and cause a temporary blockage"?

We been home from the hospital for two weeks, on TPN, and just experienced another blockage that apparently corrected itself after placing a hot water bottle right below his stoma and applying gentle massage. It happened shortly after he ate one of his favorites, spaghetti. Is this on of the heavy foods you are referring to?

Thanks a bunch,

ForMySon

 


ForMySon wrote:

Hi Ron in Mich, 

Can you elaborate on the "certain heavy foods that cause the bowel to twist and cause a temporary blockage"?

We been home from the hospital for two weeks, on TPN, and just exper...

Hi FOR a heavy meal to me would be a beef stew, or a pork chop dinner, or like thanksgiving dinner where i tend to eat too much. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours