Bleeding from Stoma Sides - Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on managing bleeding from stoma sides.
subwmn

Hey Ostomates,

How do I stop bleeding from the sides of my stoma? My stoma has been getting bloody a few times. I cut-to-fit my appliance if I gain weight or if it gets swollen. I know it bleeds sometimes when cleaning, but recently, it has been doing it a lot. It bleeds like a cut hand, but does stop. I took a CT scan and the doctors say everything is fine on the inside, except for the cancer. I went to the same hospital where I had the surgery. No clots, no twisties in the intestine, but yet still bleeds. It is working because I am farting/pooping. I am wondering if I need a better appliance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78

Do not know if you are on meds for the cancer, but when you cut the hole for the stoma, do not make it super tight and make use of a moldable ring applied to the skin around the stoma and put paste on the wafer around the hole on the sticky side. When you put them together, the paste should squeeze out the hole where your stoma sticks through, sealing up any voids and allowing a good seal so output cannot burn the skin and start any bleeding on the skin. If the stoma itself is bleeding, it does do that from anything rubbing it too hard. If you are on meds like blood thinners, it might increase that possibility.

Hope some of those helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hi Sub,

Mine bleeds when I mess with it too, but it always stops in a minute or two. Your stoma is really just your intestine folded over on itself and sewn to your skin, so it's pretty fragile skin to start with. I don't worry about mine, but if you find it not stopping you can ask your doc what they recommend. If it's bleeding because the appliance (barrier) is scraping the sides of it, then you should use a moldable barrier ring and roll it into the opening of your barrier to act as a cushion between your stoma and the barrier. Just cut your barrier a hair bigger so there's a small gap between your stoma and the barrier, and then install the moldable ring as I said, rolling the edge over the hole in your barrier. Some barriers are pretty hard on that inner edge, while others are softer. So it depends on what products you're using. But you can't go wrong with a moldable ring.

;O)

Bob

AlexT

Sounds like you're cutting things too tight.

Bill

Hello subwmn.

Salts Healthcare do a really soft/comfortable 'Dermacol' stoma collar in many different sizes to suit different stomas. I would suggest asking for some samples to see if this might help with your problem.

My own solution was to make my own bespoke baseplates to suit my particular needs, but I realise that this approach might not be relevant for everybody. I feel it's a pity that someone doesn't start a niche role in making bespoke devices for people with stomas. (In the same way that they make ear molds for hearing aids, gum shields for athletes, and other personal prosthetics).

In these modern times when such items could be made by 3D printers, you would think that someone would offer a service to make such items.

Best wishes

Bill

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

You check for sharp edges after you cut to fit correctly... If you have a burr, it could cut in... Do you wear a barrier ring around the stoma before the appliance? If not, give it a try. Great added protection and they are not cut. You stretch to size, making sure it is right around the stoma edge, protecting it...

Tracy

Abefroman1969

This type of bleeding was happening to me regularly. I also use cut-to-fit and in my zeal to get a tight fit, I was strangling the poor stoma. The nurse told me slightly too big is better than too small. Now that I had the prolapse fixed and I give it a bit more room, my ileostomy has not had any bleeding issues other than occasional spotting when cleaning/changing the appliance.

w30bob
Reply to Bill

Hi Bill,

It's a great idea, but even with today's modern 3-D printing... making custom unique baseplates would be time-consuming. And time equals money. Not to mention that many folks are in transient times with their stomas and bodies... meaning gaining or losing weight, etc. So for someone whose stoma and surrounding skin is constant... it might make sense. But for a lot of folks in transition, it could work, but would be labor-intensive and costly. And when it comes to paying out of pocket vs having insurance pay for it... people will deal with a bit of inconvenience rather than paying. Personally, I like the idea. And for those who can design and print their own stuff, it makes a world of sense. But to make them for others... I find dealing with people in general to be tough. And once they pay you for something and have expectations... they can be truly ugly to deal with. But there could come a day when rather than buying supplies like barriers (baseplates)... you simply upload your design (provided by the ostomy product suppliers that can scan your stoma area) to your own 3-D printer (or one supplied by Hollister, Coloplast, or Convatech) and print out your own individualized barrier each time you need one. George Jetson... here we come!! Although... hopefully in the future, no one will need to have an ostomy in the first place. We can dream...

;O)

SallyK

I cut my wafers to leave room around the stoma and use a ring of paste. Good luck to you.

Little Stinker
Reply to w30bob

Hi Bob, do you ever find that the moldable barrier unrolls and looks like a turtleneck around the stoma? Mine does that and then stool gets underneath. You always seem to have great ideas so just wondering if you have any on how to keep the moldable barrier in place?