Foamy output: Anyone else experience this?

Replies
Views
jalrein

I have a question 2 years in the making. I have had my ileostomy for 2 years, and I get foamy output on occasion. I haven't been able to get a suitable answer from many people and websites. Does anyone else here get the same thing as me? The output makes a bubbling sound as it comes out, and it's just foamy. It doesn't hurt or cause any problems; it just happens. Wondering, curious for a couple of years now......

AlexT

I'm not sure about foamy but mine will sometimes create bubbles when I lightly pass gas, not that I sit and watch it but have noticed it when I'm changing my bag. Your intestines have quite a bit of fluid in some form or another in them. So, air and fluidy stuff creates bubbles which I guess could be like foam. &zwj

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

For me, it's if I haven't eaten much in an unusually long period and it seems to be encouraged if I drink something with artificial sweetener too. Particularly for me, it seemed it was Lipton Diet Citrus Green Tea on a really empty stomach.

w30bob

Hi Jalrein,

Well... maybe you should use a little less Dawn when you wash your dinnerware and utensils! Ok, seriously, foam isn't all that unusual. It usually happens when your bowels are empty and your bile is becoming aerated a bit. I get it often because I'm short-gutted and my bowels get empty pretty quickly. Just don't swallow your bubblegum... or you'll be blowing bubbles in your bag! Ahh, the joys of being an ostomate!!! Gotta love it!

;O)

jalrein
Reply to AlexT

Thank you at...

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HenryM

I don't eat after 5 PM the day before I change.  Then, the next morning, emptying just prior to changing, I see foamy or bubbly output, which tells me I'll likely be able to change without having to deal with output during the change.  I deduce that it is from the time elapse that has allowed my system to empty out.

xnine

Yes, occasionally I get milkshake-type output. I have a colostomy. I do not keep a food diary so I do not know what is going on. My bag is full and not too heavy so I think it is just gas, but no, it is pressurized poop and can explode.

TerryLT

I've always just assumed it's gas bubbles. I get it often, and it's often noisy when it's coming out, but not always.

Terry

Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy fellow ileostomy mate and yep, it happens to me...sometimes depending on what I drink, for example soda or pop, dairy products, etc. Anything gassy or bubbly and how many in the day. Certain foods, especially gassy foods, does it for me....neither does it constantly. It's my stumpy, it has a mind of its own lol....fear not, it's just our accessory saying here have some gassy little air bubbles that get pushed through before there's any digested food there or your tummy is just upset. I take a pepto if it's an all-day thing....It's completely normal and nothing to be concerned about... If it is consistent, you may want to call your doc or ostomy nurse and inquire...

Stay strong and carry on

Your Homie With A Stoie

Tracy

Ritz

Milk makes mine foamy