Returning to Scuba Diving with an Ostomy: Tips?

Replies
Views
gmagurn

Does anybody have any experience getting back into scuba diving after an ostomy? I need to get back into the saltwater before I get too old.

AlexT

Hop in and go, don't let an ostomy hold you back.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Ya don't know until you try for yourself...

Get suited up and go for it...

You got this.

Past Member

You can do anything you want (ostomy or not). I've been snorkeling and haven't yet strapped a tank on my back but pretty sure the wetsuit would keep everything intact.

I am sending a PDF of the Ostomy Australia magazine from last year. The front cover says it all really, happy diving!

https://australianstoma.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ACSA-Ostomy-Journal-Dec-2021.pdf

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I just skimmed through that link as I'm trying to eat ice cream fast enough to not have it melt, but it looks like a good magazine. I've never seen one here like that.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Reply to AlexT

It has some interesting articles, only 3 issues a year that usually get sent with our orders (or we can look it up online).

UOAA has The Phoenix which seems to be a similar mag. Hope you didn't get an ice cream headache from inhaling it!

https://phoenixuoaa.org/

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I somehow survived.

gmagurn
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks. That was great.

Lacey

I didn't get into diving until after my ostomy surgery. I went on to be an instructor and worked throughout the Caribbean for 5 years. It was finally being "healthy" that allowed me to do this. Best thing to do.

anyark

I don't, but a woman, on another board, resumed scuba diving with no problems. Enjoy!

trifinisher

I got certified before I had a urostomy, made about 20 dives, then had the urostomy. PADI at that time had a medical advisory team. Contacted them, and they had no idea if scuba was recommended or not. Luckily, my GP was a diver, and he suggested: try a shallow dive without a wetsuit, open the valve pre-dive so that urine would have a constant flow when rising from depth, and see what happens. Worked fine. Now have > 100 dives, got my Advanced Diver cert., and am working on Rescue Diver. Have dove from the Turks and Caicos to Tobago and all islands in between. Always tell the Dive Masters my issue. Interestingly, the Cuban DMs were the most familiar with ostomies. Not sure what to suggest for those ostomates who poo rather than pee.

BackToCa

I got my certification after my ileostomy. I have been diving many times since and have never had any issues. I try to avoid foods that give me gas ahead of time but no other precautions. Have fun!

Past Member

Bodyrocker22

Gmagurn, I've been diving throughout my years of sporting an ostomy (25+ years) with no issues. I use a flange ring seal to decrease chances of my flange leaking. However, with a snug-fitting wetsuit you shouldn't have any issues. I do recommend you ensure your fitness level is appropriate to the task and if you haven't been diving recently, get recertified or go diving with a qualified divemaster. Best wishes

gmagurn
Reply to Bodyrocker22

Great info. I've been looking for dive specifics such as type of bags, wetsuit snugness, and decompression on ascent. This helps a lot.

pr3ntic3

Greetings. Ileostomy here. I have picked scuba diving up after about an 8-year hiatus. I have not had any problems with diving with my ostomy. I have put about 20 dives in the last year. There are a few things that I do to give me some confidence. I make sure to have a fresh pouching system on that morning. I try to make sure I give myself a couple of hours after I eat before I get into the water. Also, eat lighter. This is to reduce stoma output. I have dove in just swim trunks, a skin suit, a 3 mm wetsuit that was too small, and a 5 mm wetsuit. No problems whatsoever. Always bring a couple of extra systems with you just in case. I have never told myself that I wish I hadn't brought extra pouches.

I have never had a negative reaction from dive buddies. I am upfront about having an ostomy so there aren't any surprises if something weird happens.

I have a trip to La Paz planned in a month for diving and a trip to USVI in June with some diving planned.

Get out there and blow some bubbles.

Prentice

rpowell4569

Thirty years of diving experience here. Most of it with an ileostomy (colitis).

Do not eat a big meal before diving. (I once watched a guy puke out a large submarine sandwich at 40 feet. He did it properly - kept his regulator in his mouth). Avoid sugary drinks to minimize gas issues. Do drink lots of water.

Don't do anything stupid and have a fantastic time diving again!

barbara.crotty

I have gone scuba diving a number of times since my ileostomy surgery. The only hassle was getting a wet wetsuit off and on to go to the bathroom, but that applies whether or not you have an ostomy. Luckily, I never had a leak while I was on a dive. Most of the dive boats don't have much in the way of toilet facilities.

Ilovetocook

I've been fine since I've had my ostomy. No problem. I think the key is just knowing your body and the timing of your bowels. For example, I won't eat breakfast before a dive. I've had gas while diving and it's no big deal in terms of buoyancy...the gas was in you before so buoyancy change isn't a problem. I guess depending on where your stoma is, you'd want to take care with the weight belt. I think my biggest issue was making sure the boat had a reasonable head (bathroom). Since I'm a big guy, I struggle to fit into some of those tiny boat bathrooms. I'm in VA. Should we organize an ostomate dive trip to the Caribbean over the winter?

LoneDrone

Hey, I have an ileostomy, and I am right now, as I write this, on a dive cruise in the Bahamas. There are five scheduled dives a day. I have done all but one, and it was not my stoma that held me back! I was just tired! I have had no issues diving at all. I change my bag and barrier each night just to be safe. I eat light meals and take some Imodium before each meal so it slows my output, but other than that, all good. I love diving and my stoma honestly has zero impact on enjoying this wonderful sport. Get out there and have fun!!