Tail-end trimming for easier drain opening and no leakage issues with Hollister 8578 one-piece

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and techniques for tail-end trimming to facilitate easier drain opening and prevent leakage issues with the Hollister 8578 one-piece ostomy pouch.
Marco789

I cut the tail end from my pouch before every appliance change. It makes the drain so much easier to open and it doesn't cause any leakage issues. I'm using Hollister brand 8578 one-piece. Try it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Is that the little part that hangs past the hard plastic?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Marco789

Yup.

TerryLT

I for one, like the little tail end, and wouldn't think of cutting it off. It's just another layer of protection to ensure that no output is able to escape the opening. This may not be a problem for someone who has very thick or formed output, but for someone like me, whose output can be very loose or watery, I'd like that extra safety net.

Terry

Marco789
Reply to TerryLT

Cool

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Hey Marco, it occurred to me that you might appreciate this little tip for making the Hollister pouch easier to open. I picked it up on another ostomy support site called veganostomy.ca. When you are getting ready to put on a new pouch, take the end of it, open it, and then crease it several times down the middle, in the opposite direction that it's meant to open. Flex it back and forth several times, and it will be so much easier to open when you need to empty. If my instructions don't make sense, you can watch a video of it being demonstrated by the site owner, Eric. Go to veganostomy.ca, click on 'videos' and click on 'product reviews' and put 'Hollister' into the search window. You will see a few videos of Hollister products, but the one you want is the Hollister one piece with Cera Plus. About 9.5 minutes into the video, he demonstrates what I'm talking about. It's made things a lot easier for me, and hopefully for you too.

Terry

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

I do that crease thing all the time.

zackpatjunior

Me too. I use 8513s and I cut off the last 1" or so below the clip placement at the point of the side "welds". Makes the pouch length fit better within the space below my pants belt.

Marco789
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks for the tip, I've done that many times but I no longer need to because my pouch is so easy to open with that little flap of material removed. I prefer to cut the tail end off. Tidy, mess-free with my Hollister system.