Preventing Traveler's Diarrhea with Ileostomy: Medication Tips?

Replies
Views
Past Member

So, as most of you have sensitive stomachs too, I do like to travel and travel a lot but always end up having a day into my vacation where I get traveler's diarrhea. Want to know what you guys pack in this instance? Do you take anything prior to the trip, during, etc.?

Thanks.

Axl

What's a vacation...?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,479 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Wouldn't taking stuff just prolong the inevitable?

Past Member

@alext - Just wondering if there's something anyone takes before as prevention?

Marco789
Reply to Anonymous

Take Metamucil. Twice a day, 1 tablespoon in a tall glass of water. You'll be amazed.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Reply to Marco789

@marco789

Is it safe to take daily? Won't it bung you up? I tried that before and nearly went to the hospital with blockage - questioning if it firmed things up too much for me?

Past Member

Someone messaged me and mentioned Florastor probiotic. Does anyone use this daily or is this only a one-time usage? I use a women's probiotic currently, but if this is better, I would be willing to switch.

Marco789
Reply to Anonymous

If it plugged you up, you may have started off too strong. Try starting with 1 teaspoon until you can better move it through. Don't eat anything for 1 hour afterwards, and it'll go right through, no worries... especially for an ileostomate. :)

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Maybe I missed something or don't understand, but... If you tried it before and had a problem, doesn't that answer your question about it being safe to take daily?

Ben38

No, I don't believe in taking something unless you need it. I always take some loperamide/Imodium with me just in case they are needed. They are fast-acting, so within 1 hour of taking them, they slow everything down.