Playing Racquetball After Radical Cystectomy: Stoma Protection Advice Needed

Replies
Views
Killshot_24523
Nov 18, 2022 2:26 pm

I am wondering if anyone continues to play racquetball and what type of stoma protection you use.

Thanks in advance.

AlexT
Nov 18, 2022 3:14 pm

I haven't played in years but having played and now having a stoma, I can say all you would need is a belt or wrap to hold your bag up against your body. Have fun, it's a great game.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Killshot_24523
Nov 18, 2022 4:11 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thanks for the input. This will all start for me in December. I'm just coming to grips with it and trying to figure out life going forward. I've read so much that is so positive. I'm hoping for life with minimal changes.

AlexT
Nov 18, 2022 4:55 pm

I don't think you need to worry about much contact directly to your stoma but if it concerns you, you could add a simple stoma dome to attach to your bag while you play. And those domes can go in/under a belt or wrap. I can't think of ever being hit in the stoma area but those hits to the back/kidneys with the ball sure sting. Have fun and start back slow.

Bryce
Nov 18, 2022 6:29 pm

I still play some squash but only doubles due to advancing years. I use a hernia belt topped with a stoma dome taped on. You will find a lot of your core strength dissipated so you tend to use a lot more lobs, drops, and boasts. When I know I'm playing, I also use extra Opsite Tape (3M) to hold the flange in place while working up a sweat. Have a good game!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
JamesArnod
Nov 26, 2022 6:44 pm

About active sports, talk to your doctor about a hernia. I healed very quickly and could do most things within three weeks from my operation, but I was told I was much of an exception. What I was not told was about hernias. I'm not sure it would have made any difference, but I did get a hernia within a year of my operation. It is not painful, but it is a rather large bulge. It sticks out like half a large grapefruit with my stoma right in the center of it.

So what to do? I'm not sure anything can be done to prevent an ostomy hernia from developing. A high percentage of people develop them. Having said that, I still do whatever I want with the exception of violent sideshow rides or football, etc. You could unintentionally start a hernia playing any fast-acting sport, in my opinion. I, for one, would not play racketball. However, your choice, I have played it long before I had my operation. I just think that it is a risk that is not worth taking. You could and should wear a 4" hernia belt quite tight with a dome guard while you play to be as safe as you can be. However, the damage which will start a hernia is done inside your stomach wall, not on the outside. Remember you are not 40 or 50 anymore...you did it, you don't have to keep doing it. Do some research about parastomal hernias and form an opinion if you want to do any fast or rough sports still, I do not.

Just saying!