Depends and Stealth Belt: Dealing with Leaks

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Doe1mama

I know I saw something before about what guys wore, but can't find it. My husband wears Depends when he goes out and he feels confident. No problem when he's wearing sweats. But if he's wearing regular pants and Depends, there are two tight things pushing on the stoma and when output comes it starts leaking out the side of the flange and can turn into a mess. He has an ileostomy so he has more frequent drainage than with a colostomy. He has a Stealth Belt but hasn't tried it yet. I know several of you do use it. Those that do, have you had leaks with it.

So frustrating for him.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mayoman

Hi there, can you explain why he needs Depends? I'm guessing he still has his rectum intact and it's due to mucus leakage from the rectum. I used to have lots of mucus and I used women's period pads, the ones that stick to your underwear. They worked really well for me and prevent those nasty wet spots on your pants.

Magoo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

I've never had an issue with my StealthBelt. I do have a colostomy.

Doe1mama
Reply to Mayoman

No, fortunately he does not have mucus. He wears the Depends because it helps give him confidence when he goes to therapy. He is always afraid the ileostomy output will leak.

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

I know you like it. That's actually why I got it for him. But he's 79 years old and doesn't think he'll like it. He's afraid it will be too bulky. Did your colostomy ever leak when you had on the stealth belt?

I'm going to make him at least try it out at home this weekend. Sometimes he needs a not-so-gentle nudge.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Doe1mama

I've never had a leak with mine. The only thing I wish was different was the belt part would be wider. Sometimes it slips off my love handles.

AlexT
Reply to Doe1mama

I'm confused. Do the Depends cover his ostomy? If not, I'm not sure how they help. Also, at 79, I'm guessing he's not too active which makes me wonder if he needs to change his setup somehow.

Doe1mama
Reply to AlexT

He is not very active due to a prior stroke. However, he does go to maintenance therapy twice a week. Since the stroke, he has always worn Depends when going out, basically just because he felt more secure with them. Now with the ileostomy, he continues to wear them because he feels if he does have a leak, most will stay in the Depends. We really didn't have any issues until the other night when he wore pants that seemed tighter around the waist. So it appeared to me the waistband of both the pants and Depends were directly over the stoma. And when the output started, it really had nowhere to go but push out around the wafer. So I'm thinking if he wears the Stealthbelt and regular underwear (which are not as tight), that might not happen.

We found supplies and a system that seems to work for us. We still get the occasional leak, and luckily we've always been home when it happens. And to be honest, I can usually pinpoint why it leaked (wafer or bag should have been changed earlier, pancaking, food eaten, etc).

He's only had the ileostomy since May, so I guess we are still learning. But it is frustrating at times, and I'm so thankful for this group. Sometimes I just need to vent.

AlexT
Reply to Doe1mama

I deal with pancaking a lot, so I get that point. Sounds to me like he might also benefit from wearing one of the simple belts that clip to your bag/wafer, if his setup has belt tabs. If it doesn't, they make belts that go around the stoma but don't cover the bag. I only wear the StealthBelt or a wrap if I go somewhere or to work.

gentlejohn

I too have an ileostomy and prefer loose-fitting clothes. Regular pants are uncomfortable. I wear an ostomy belt for my 2-piece system. My ostomy belt is made by Hollister and is about $10. It is possible the flange was not tightly sealed. I have seen leakage because of this. It is hard to have the flange completely sealed 360 degrees. It is possible the flange is getting caught on clothes.

Assuming the Depends are for rectal stump drainage. I have seen people use glycerin suppositories to clear the debris. I have CUC and use cortisone/mesalamine suppositories until I have my rectum removed. I do not use glycerin but simply evacuate my rectum naturally daily, which stopped the drainage.

Perhaps an WOC ostomy nurse will have more suggestions.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Grab a pair of jockey style boxers. They expand and are comfy to hold the bag in place. I am female and wear them when going in jeans, etc. They work wonders.