Questions from a new irrigator

In this discussion
Replies
Views
John A

Hello, I joined this site in June 2022 so I can could get information on irrigation and hear about others who have gone through similar experiences. I ended up irrigating for the 1st time July 2nd. I tend to work with people 1-2 days a week so I irrigate the night before and it's definitely peace of mind while being in close contact with my clients.

I saw a few posts on this site recommending coroplast film and cotton pad as an alternative to wearing a bag for those that irrigate. Has anyone tried this and if so here is my question..

I find the only problem with wearing the cotton circle and coroplast film is when gas is passed through the stoma. Then the coroplast gets inflated and must be burped. Once you lift a corner of the film to let the gas escape, the seal is now broken and the film does not adhere to the skin properly. Does anyone have a way around this or another method. I had my hopes up that one day I would get off these disposable bags through irrigating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello John A.

i have not heard of the film and cotton pads before, so cannot help on that score. However, there are several alternatives for irrigators. Personally, I use the Coloplast conseal plug. A picture of which you can view on my profile. These plugs are made of a porous material which let the gas out but withhold any residual output. there are also other alternatives such as patches but I don't know much about them.

There have been other posts about this in the post and they can be found in the 'collections' section.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

Have you tried the patches ? Hollister 1796 works well for me. You can eliminate 90 of gas by adjusting your diet, if you stop eating breads, grains, and cereal you will see a drastic reduction in gas.

John A
Reply to Bill

Hello Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I did purchase a box of patches recently and found the same problem with ballooning. I will contact Coloplast and see if I might be able to get a sample conseal plug to try out. Thank you again!

John A
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Hi there,

Thank you for answering my post. Yes ironically, I purchased a box of those about 2 months ago. I only tried one of two as I found the ballooning was an issue. I will try to change my diet and give the patch another try. Do you find you have to burp the patch?That was my issue as once you remove the patch seal, it never seems to seal properly again. Sorry, this is still new to me. I'm persistant so if there is a way for me to live without a bag, sign me up!Thank you again for reaching out.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister