Dealing with My First Blockage: A Cautionary Tale

Replies
Views
IGGIE

Last weekend, I was in bed on Friday night and started to get the worst abdominal pains I have ever had. Never having a blockage before, I wasn't sure what was causing it, but after a few hours, I realized it must be a blockage. After some time, I raised myself off the bed and felt a pop, and my bag filled in 2 seconds flat. I rushed to the toilet, and after emptying it, it filled again in rapid time. This happened about another 2 times before it slowed down, and the pain started to diminish. After analyzing the situation, I remembered I had made a curry with Cardamom Seed in it. I put a total of 6 in the curry but could only account for 5 of them when eating it. So let me warn you, never use whole Cardamom Seed, crush them first.

Justbreathe

Wow and ouch! Glad everything came out okay.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hairdresser

Thanks for the warning! Glad it moved on its own, no hospital visit!

AlexT

Yep, very painful. Good to hear you're flowing free again.

TerryLT

Yes, close call! I remember one time I had the same pain you described, only mine started before I went to bed. Once I lay down, I started to apply pressure gently around my stoma, to no avail. I rolled onto one side and tried to just relax...still nothing. Then I decided to switch sides, and as soon as I rolled over, I felt and heard this kind of gurgle, and it started whooshing out...barely made it to the toilet before my pouch was full. I never did figure out what caused that, but I did start being more careful about chewing everything to a pulp!

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

Reminds me of the story with the monkey. One day a guy was watching this monkey trying to push nuts up his backside, so he asked the keeper why he did that, and the keeper said, "He is checking to see if it fits. If it doesn't, then he won't eat it."

gairdinspreagtha

Bless your heart. I'm so glad you didn't have to go to the hospital.

gairdinspreagtha

gairdinspreagtha

Mr.Heart2Win

I keep reading about them. I was not sure what they meant by it but now I know, learn tons reading here. It is well described in case it happens to me, been eating pretty much everything, so guessing pretty lucky so far, need to be more careful. Glad you avoided a hospital visit, always a pain. Blessings, and good luck with your cooking!

Justbreathe

I too have learned tons on this site but still can't quite understand diarrhea with an ileostomy- can someone explain?
Seems like an oxymoron to me

cagabolsa

There is another snake in the grass after every surgery. Every individual heals in his/her own way and some people have a tendency to grow adhesions in the operated areas. Adhesions can sometimes create some discomfort, but in some rare cases are able to "strangle" part of the intestine which can even be life threatening. Another cause of blockages is stenosis of the intestine. Stenosis can occur after an inflammation and scar tissue has grown. Stenosis is often the cause of blockages and requires a lot of attention to what you eat and how. Chew everything very well. If you can't because of dental problem, pass it through a blender. I have wonderful recipes for the blender, like T-bone steak with mashed potatoes and broccoli (LOL just kidding). Some food items are tricky, like coconut macaroons. These fibers can easily trigger a blockage. It is always best to drink sufficient liquid with your food.

Since 1986, I have suffered thousands of blockages and some of them almost killed me. On one occasion, my whole bowel content from 24 hours came back the other way and saved my life. So I think I am a severe abdominal pain expert. Something that has never been on my wish list.

I hope you can avoid future blockages. Enjoy your meals :)

Morning glory

I have only had one blockage and that was enough to terrify me. Bananapepperson a sub. Chew chew chew. Drink plenty of water. I am glad you didn't have to go to the hospital.

gfransn
Reply to Justbreathe

I have had occasional diarrhea with my ileostomy. When it happens, it is like a fire hose and the pouch will fill quite rapidly and repeatedly. One time when this happened, I became severely dehydrated and ended up in the hospital for a few days.

Past Member

My stoma blocked 2 years ago in Florida. What a waste of a holiday! From the pain to not being able to walk, I couldn't think of anything worse happening while I was there. The stoma nurses back home said coke was your best friend as it helps with the blockage. Finally, it's passed after 4 days. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I'd say I have a high pain tolerance, and I would say that's the worst kind of pain I've ever experienced. I've had over 60 surgeries on my abdomen from this stupid ostomy since I was born.

Hope all is well...

Kind regards

Zestybb
Reply to Justbreathe

I had my surgery the day before you posted your question... It has been explained to me that the small intestine doesn't absorb liquid the way your large intestine does, it just passes most on down. Since your large intestine isn't working, the liquidy stool comes through your ileostomy. I found out the hard way how it's easy to get dehydrated because of this. Pre-ileostomy, if you've ever had a couple days of diarrhea you're usually weak and lethargic because you've been emptying so much liquid stool. You lose a lot of potassium and electrolytes this way too. The stool will never be firm as with an ostomy. I'm told, but can get a little pastier eating fiber-rich foods or taking something like Metamucil. I was given Imodium in the hospital because I wasn't eating and my output was mostly liquid, it did thicken it up some. I'm scared of blockage so I just try to eat foods like oatmeal, bananas, rice, breads, etc...

Bob 48

Morel mushrooms blocked me up years ago when I had a temporary ileostomy. I sipped on hot liquids and laid on my sides some, and the dam finally gave. I had some experience after J-pouch surgery with a twisted bowel that didn't want to wake up. I had to get an NG tube for several days to give the bowel a chance to wake up and untwist on its own. Anyways, the doctors gave me those tips to help with blockages.