Snow Shoveling Tips for Ostomates

Replies
Views
SallyK

I live on the east coast of Canada and we just got dumped on with so much snow! And more on the way this week! I do a lot of shoveling snow so I thought I would share what I found about it. For an ostomate, this could increase the risk of developing a parastomal hernia, so it's extremely important to take special care.

Wear a hernia prevention belt

Choose the right shovel (smaller would hold less weight)

Use your arms and legs more, and your abdominal muscles less

Keep hydrated

If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop what you're doing

Here is the link to Eric's article:

https://www.veganostomy.ca/winter-ostomate-shoveling-snow/

AlexT

Snow blower?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

That works for bigger spaces.

AlexT

Hot water.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to SallyK

I was being serious

SallyK

Past Member

Flame thrower?

SallyK
Reply to Anonymous

JamesArnod

Hi Sally. I live in a bedroom community to Edmonton, AB. And strangely enough, I like shoveling snow, at least for the first 5 months of winter here. I have a peristomal hernia. I have had it for 10 years. It grows very slowly. It is about the size of 1/2 a large grapefruit. I do not believe shoveling snow has ever done anything to it. If my snow is 4 or 5 inches (dryer snow than yours I'm sure), I shovel by hand. Any much more than that, I use my snowblower. My driveway is 120 feet long. In your case, the snow is much heavier than mine so just take your time, smaller shovels full, etc. I suspect you will be fine.

Jim

slimwhitehicks

Holy moly I never shovel snow.  My wife does it.  She also does all the gardening and yard care.  I cook the meals.  She's a great wife.

warrior
Reply to slimwhitehicks

does she have a sister or two single?😉

warrior
Reply to AlexT

true that! who shovels anymore? 

warrior
Reply to SallyK

they have various width sizes. the snowblowers come small and large. don't hurt yourself like that shoveling. 

best investment.

gas..electric..cordless.

many options.