Replies
Views
Sunshinealot

Just released from the hospital Feb 10 having trouble choosing an ostomy bag

CrappyColon

Do you have access to an ostomy nurse?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

What type of ostomy? For now, you'll definitely want a drainable one. 1 or 2 piece and any other option is kind of a personal preference.

Ben38

Any problems with the ostomy bags hospital sent you home with? if not I would carry on using them for the time being

TerryLT

My advice would be to try as many different kinds as possible. Call the big companies, Hollister, Coloplast, Convatec, and ask for samples. They are happy to provide them. See what works best for you. Try flat flanges first and then if you are experiencing leaks, try convex. Being comfortable and feeling secure with your appliance is really important, so take the time to find the right one. Everyone is different, so recommending one isn't really possible. I know people who swear by their Coloplast appliance, but I personally don't like them, and love my Hollister. There will be an equal number of people who feel the opposite from me.

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eefyjig

Hi Sunshinealot (great name, especially on this cold, dreary NY day!) I concur with what Ben said. I would continue to use whatever I was sent home with for now. I don't know if you have an ileostomy or a colostomy but I'm pretty sure that, with both, the stoma shrinks for the first couple of weeks. It's important to continue to re-measure the size of your stoma during that time so that whatever bag you use will fit around your stoma and not be too big to cause leaks. The cut-to-fit bags are good at the beginning for that reason; you can just cut the hole smaller as your stoma shrinks. If you're going to order your supplies from an ostomy supply company, like Edgepark or Byram, you can ask for their assistance in what to order. They're really helpful.

allierob77

Whatever you do, using ostomy paste, a disc over the stoma opening in the bag, and a tight ostomy belt. certainly helps prolong the time between changes.

shaunte.n.davis
Reply to CrappyColon

Try the hospital that put your ostomy in. They should have a wound ostomy nurse.