Odor in Pouch with Filter

Replies
Views
markndeb20
Hi all. My boy, Ryan (going on 3), has a permanent colostomy and wears a pouch with a filter (really helps with gas and ballooning!). We have altered his pouch cover and put a piece of tablecloth cover (cloth on 1 side, plastic on the other) inside the cover to help with keeping the odor enclosed. The new addition helps, but doesn't fix the problem. Is this odor leak something he'll just have to live with as he grows older? I can only imagine how it will be in school when he walks around with a slight poopy odor around his middle. We have used the odor drops, liquids, and I have recently been using the NaScent liquid (has helped more than the other products). I just wondered how the teen/pre-teen crew deals with colostomy smells from their pouch....?

Thanks.

Mom to Ryan
funnygurl

I have had a colostomy for 7 years and after searching for something that really works, I have found it! It is called Nascent. It works!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

airforce1

Your boy sounds like a real trooper having that at that age.

Grammybec

Funnygurl... where did you find Nascent? Is it a spray or powder? Sounds like something I would like to try. Bec

funnygurl
http://www.nascent4u.com/

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
KennyT

X

junopete
MARKnDEB

I have no doubt that your son, at this age, is swallowing lots of air as he eats and drinks. As he ages, he will learn not to and what foods cause a lot of gas.

As he learns, I don't think the gas will be a problem.

If you are feeding him a lot of veggies and fruits, they are hard to break down and produce a lot of gas while doing so.

I know a few older fellows that have colostomies, they swear using liquid dish soap does the trick. Your son may be a little too young to try that on. The soap may come back and irritate the stoma.

Good luck to you and your family.

Rick.....
Past Member
I would agree with Pete, low fiber and high protein is a good diet for colostomies. What brand pouch does he use....{guessing Hollister} ??
Have you tried contacting the different makers and requesting a few free samples??
It seems everyone is a bit different and has to find the right combo that works best. Good luck..........
Past Member

I was prescribed peppermint oil capsules to help with the bloating, taken 3 times daily. Now emptying is almost a pleasure and the bathroom smells lovely, as long as I remember to take at least 1 a day. Also, buying the correct support pants to wear for stoma/hernia patients has helped. In fact, I'm just going to order some more in a moment, thanks to this wonderful site!! By the way, the peppermint capsules are swallowed whole and can also be purchased at the chemists over the counter. Have a good day everyone.

mooza

Hi, try for odor for your young fella Hollister 78500 deodorant and a lube all in one. No pancaking. Hope this helps, Mare. And yes, ring all the helplines and try to get a free sample here in Aust. We can get lots of different no smells, but this is good. Xxx Mare.

markndeb20
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I use Na'Scent already (http://www.nascent4u.com/) has been the only thing that helps lessen the smell. Will try the peppermint oil tablets when he is older and can swallow tablets whole. We use Convatec drainables with the charcoal filter (item #411360). Has been the only pouch we can use more than 1 day before the filter fills with stool goo and leaks! Actually, we use all Convatec items; Little Ones skin barrier, adaptor (allows us to remove and replace only the pouch instead of the whole system), and the pouch. We only change the whole system (barrier/adaptor and pouch) twice a week. We could probably go longer, but we don't like to risk leaks as the sticky cloth on the skin barrier tends to get pinched up and lifts off the skin after a few days.

Haven't needed the Adapt barrier rings in a year!

Thanks, too, for the info on swallowing air as he eats. He doesn't do much veggies, yet. Working on that!

We are still hoping to meet/chat with other male friends who have had a colostomy since infancy/young childhood. Anyone know anyone????

Thanks. -Ryan's mom
cee

Hi Ryan's Mom,
I am also a Convatec person.
I use everything from them and had the same odor problem with the bag with the filter. There was leakage from the filter area. I called the company and switched to the same 2-part system but a bag without the filter. No odor and no leaking. I really didn't think the filter helped a whole lot anyway and nothing compared to the leaking and odor.

Good luck, Lynn

weewee

I was told that mouthwash on toilet paper works also.
So pick out a flavor you don't use, lol, because you don't want your breath with the same smell.

Past Member
Hi,

I agree with Cee as above. I have recently tried the appliances with the filter and am very disappointed. There is an odor and it seems to vary, but it is apparent. I think your best solution is to drop the pouches with the filter and move to the non-filtered form. You can deal with the gas buildup by periodically opening up the end.
markndeb20

All great suggestions, friends. Thanks. The main reason we went with a filter was to prevent the ballooning overnight and thus prevent the wafer release if the bag fills too much with air (as often does with our guy). So... I guess, for now, I'll have to deal with a little odor from the filter. Beats having to give him a bath and wash the sheets every morning!! Though the mouthwash on a piece of tissue is a really interesting idea!

Thanks, again.
-Ryan's mom

WOUNDED DOE

Hello MarknDeb20 .........well, junopete has it goin' on, I agree with his every word.....and your little tyke still has a delicate tummy yet anyway simply due to his age.......lots of great advice here but I am also remembering something our friend Elzie once told us about regarding something you can add to the pouch that helps cut down on the odor, I've tried it and it works great actually, sounds funny but I have friends now using this same trick...Tic Tacs!! lol now again, NOT for in the mouth! only to be put inside the bag, I sometimes still do that I use the minty ones, three in the pouch just another little tidbit to try if you want good luck!

~Your Doe