Christmas Poem: A Celebration of Love and Gratitude for My Ostomate

Replies
Views
Tiggy

So I got to thinking recently about how amazing it is that Tyler and I will be sharing our tenth Christmas together a mere two days from now. When I reflect on the fact that he and I have been through so much sickness together, and the fact that he nearly died two years ago when he was finally nearly overtaken by colitis, I am amazed. Amazed, and stricken by this sudden jolt of gratitude and relief. So, as is the norm with me, I wrote a little poem that helped to put some of my feelings out in the open. The poem is unedited as of now, and still has no title. It's a work in progress.
On a whim, and in a gesture of optimism and good faith, I have decided to share my poem with all of the awesome people who belong to our online community. I hope you enjoy it! And of course, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all!

You, me, and your apparatus.
Whoever said three's a crowd?
On this night
perfect,
serene.
Let it be known
you are golden to me now
as you were five, seven, nine years ago.
As you have always been.

Merry Christmas, Tyler.
Another mirthful season to enjoy
relish in
absorb
together -
two figures, four footprints laid on frosted pavement.

Let me say it again
(Does devotion ever grow tired?)
This repetition of thanks
sheer gratitude
for your "extra appendage."
The flesh-colored parcel
that returned you to me
whole
and healthy.

God bless the freedom of
no pain.
No blood.
No hospitals.

Just you and I alone in the room,
Christmas tree lights illuminating
your imperfect allure.
Each technicolor blink set to reflect
your quirky refinement.

All the beauty that is you.

Past Member

Beautiful poem, Tiggy. Thank you for sharing it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,437 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Eva2012

Ohhhh lovely Tiggy! Have a wonderful Christmas : )

rosienosey

Wonderful, wonderful! Poem Tiggy, thank you for posting it.

Past Member

Oh, that's lovely. Thank you, Tiggy. I loved reading it. Have a lovely Christmas, hun.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
beatrice

Perfect!

My wish for all ostomates in the New Year ... that they have someone in their life who sees beyond the "extra appendage - the flesh colored parcel" whether it be a spouse, significant other, or dear friend.

SheliaBaby
Hahaha.....I'm so sorry....I read that wrong...or too quickly.....first thought it said the "extra appendage....the flesh colored parcel..whether it be a spouse or significant other".....might describe a few people I know!!

I am sorry....it was an absolutely lovely poem. Merry Christmas to you all and Season's Greetings. Shelia
beatrice

LOL - Too true ... in fact, I had one of those as a first (practice) hubby! -- You made me snort my coffee!