Start my nursing degree in Feb

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Gus
I just accepted the offer of a Bachelors degree in nursing at Newcastle University. 3 years of study, 1 year as a graduate nurse then off to become a stomal nurse. Wish me luck in my new career.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,105 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
as a retaired nurse I think that is great you will have a wounderful understanding of our proubles and how to help. Hope you succed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee
yahoooooo an other butt wiper i would have to say tho i would like a girl to play with my butt tho guss good luck
Past Member
That's great news. You are perfect for the job. Going back to school at this age gives you a new lease on life, I can tell you. Congratulations!
beatrice
Bravo Gus! What a career change ... I agree, you're going to be perfect for it.

May you enjoy every minute of your new adventure.

I'm proud of you !

Beatrice

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Oliveme325
Good wishes to you!
I have been a nurse for 17 years. I am delighted you have chosen to work w/in the WOCN field (if you're unsure what that is, I challenge you to research it--sorry, former nursing instructor coming out. I have been in many areas of nursing and have enjoyed them all. I encourage you to be open to all aspects of nursing. B4 I get in trouble for potentially taking your great abilities away from ostomates, I just wanted to let you know that nursing is a great profession that has multiple facets to it. Welcome to my world! -DancinDiva
Gus
Thank you gang, WeeWee you can wipe your own fromt butt mate, your not a cripple lol, um lets see , Wound, Ostomy and Continence nursing. How'd I do Diva
Oliveme325
Excellent my friend!
Past Member
Good on you Mate, a very special kind of people. I cannot imagine why you folk become nurses, especially knowing what they had to do for me. However, having said that I am very grateful that you do become nurses. I hope that you do well in your studies and become a Stomal Therapy Nurse too.
Doug
friendly
congratulations. that is fantastic news. r u going to tell the others on the course about your ileostomy. i remember when i was doing my course, we all had to do a 20 minute talk in front of the class about an illness. the teacher put all the names of different illnesses in a container and we all had to pick one out, not knowing what we were going to get. well i reckon my luck was in that day because i pulled out the one for ulcerative colitis. had to do no research whatsoever, did the 20 minute talk in front of the class with no problems at all and got a distinction for the subject. lol. no one knew that i had ulcerative colitis or that i have an ileostomy. how lucky was that. anyway i know u will make a fantastic nurse.
Traveling Lady
When I had my colostomy performed 5 weeks ago, my hospital nurses did not seem to know the difference between an ileostomy and a colostomy. So maybe they weren't stoma nurses but I would have thought they should have known that much. You think? Best of luck, Gus, wish there were more of us ostomates in the biz!
Past Member
I was in hospital for 4 months last year. Imagine my surprise to have the same experience as traveling lady? Many of the nurses didn't know what to do about "that bag thing". So my wife told them to contact the Stomal Therapy nurse on our floor. I was out of it so don't know much about this but eventually they were "educated". Most of my nurses were quite young so perhaps lacking in practical experience but it does surprise me.

Once again Gus, My best wishes for a successful career. A STN with an Ostomy would have to be a great asset
Doug
mooza
Good onu gus yeah never met man ostomate butt since we are both australians keep the aussie spirit when your doin the stomal therapy i know 2 and wow after 20 and 30 years they are so inspiring and funny like me hehehe and love seeing stomas i thought was weird i get it now even had my stoma cherry Cheza to her friends haha photographed ulcer but hav too find out what ugly chart it went on congrats newcastle hey yeah same ole i know some one from up there lol..btw My neice is just comin into her 2nd year of double degree paramedicine/nursong she was a bit overwhelmed wen i made her com to e r the other week she cant wait Ambos part .. We need more aussie nurses sorry overseas nurses but we do ..keep up the good work and no perving lol mare from melbourne xx
car1951
I was a nurse for 30 years--way to go! We need you out there--one of the real problems out there is that the people designing for ostomy cares rarely have one. Maybe you can help design items that really work.
bes0642
Congratulations! Gus as a fellow Ostomate you will be absolutely a valuable resource to those yet to experience becoming an Ostomate. Best wishes in your new career.
Past Member
Hello to you, from the other Portland, on the coast (Maine)!!