Need help with bag sizing for ileostomy - seeking advice

Replies
Views
Jamie93

Hello, my name is Jamie Folkard and last year I had an end ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis. I have been experiencing problems with the size of the bag I now cut myself. I have talked to the stoma nurses on countless occasions about this, but they just keep saying there needs to be a gap to allow space for the stoma to move/grow. Has anyone else experienced the same problems and if so, could they either email me their answers or talk to me on this site via sending messages or 1-1 chat about this?

lottagelady

Hi Jamie - you don't say exactly what problems you are having - is it leaking? Are the nurses saying you are cutting it too large or too small? Think we need a little more detail in order to help answer your question .....?
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,585 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three

Hi Jamie93 ~ Perhaps try a flange like the Convatec Natura that does not require cutting but instead molds to the shape of your stoma.

Past Member

I would ask if you use the Eakin ring beneath the flange? They work absolutely wonderful for me. If you cut the hole a bit large, it is no matter with the ring, as it fills the gap and lasts about a week. Good luck.

CALYPSO
Jamie, your stoma will change shape. Gradually, it will settle down to a size you can depend on. When that is achieved, carefully measure your stoma and your stoma supplier will cut them to size for you.
When I used to cut my own, they were a bit tatty and dog-eared at times. When the supplier does it, it has smooth rounded edges, very professional. My stoma settled down to an oval shape. My supplier has a record of the size, 30mm long by 28mm across. They cut them no problems.
If your trouble is leaking, then finding the right appliance for you is essential. For months, I suffered in silence with leaky bags. The nights were always the worst to deal with. The stoma nurse sorted me out with a convex bag. No more problems, but it took some finding.
There is an answer, but I feel it should come from your stoma team. After all, they have all the latest technology at their fingertips.
Very best of luck, keep at 'em.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ballpeen

Jamie93

Are you talking about cutting the opening in the wafer to fit over your stoma?