Doctor offers hope for multiple hernias and cancer survivor

Replies
Views
sherrybear

Went to the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday, had to see a new doctor, was a little scared for I didn't know if he could help me or not. U see this will be my 39th operation in all, and 32 of those are hernias. But long story short, I had cancer in 1980 then radiation treatments, that is what they say killed all my tissues. I had 7 meshes removed February of 2010, they were all deceased and had to be replaced, well they were and it didn't hold. So that was with pig skin, the doctor said that it stretches, so no good for me. I now have 3 big hernias, one is under the stoma causing my stoma to go in, and that isn't too good. This new doctor is having me talk with a plastic surgeon, he wants him in the op room with my colon doctor. He said he can help and that he will be doing a lot of pulling up, pulling down, sideways to get me some strong tissue. I could have cried for my colon doctor didn't think we could find someone to help me. He told me to email him if I have questions or just want to talk about this synthetic that he is going to use on me. I did tell him while you're in there and taking and pulling from everywhere, don't forget the rear end!!!!!! He laughed and said we can do that !!!!! I might come out with a smaller body, that would be nice. HAHAHAHA. I'm glad that I can laugh right now for last week I couldn't sleep. So all my buddies and friends on this site, please keep me in your prayers and remember me. I won't be having surgery till June, for he said (doctor) has to see what all my insurance will cover and what the clinic will, so again cross your fingers that they will cover almost all of it. I do have good insurance but was told they don't want to pay for good mesh stuff anymore. So I'll go and if anyone has something that can help me, please jump in. Love you all. SHERRYBEAR

southerngal

Sherrybear, this is wonderful news. I'll pray that the plastic surgeon and colon doctor together will be able to put you in good shape again.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sherrybear

Thank you Southerngal, it means a lot. Xxx

kinder

Sherrybear, I have only had one hernia but when it was done, my original surgeon out of Pittsburgh also had one of the best plastic surgeons in the operating room with him. They did what is called a separation of parts - he said it was almost like a tummy tuck (too bad he wouldn't do that too). He didn't like using any kinds of mesh because he said too frequently they get infected and have to be removed. Mine has held very well (done in May of 2010) but I also wear a hernia belt every day and only remove it for bathing and sleeping. I will also pray for you, and I think this may be the last one you'll ever have to have. Good luck!!!

gee07

Sherrybear, lots of good luck for you with your next surgery. I take my hat off to you after reading what you have gone through. You really do deserve some good luck. I had a hernia once in '05. They had to give me a new stoma on the other side but left me with a tiny retractable one, never got rid of the fat the hernia had left so made it even more uneven around the new stoma site. I now have to wear a convex and paste to stop it leaking. I should, I guess, be used to it not working now and again seeing as I've had a bag for 41 years now.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Dogman

The Cleveland Clinic is a fantastic place. I had 4 surgeries there, and the staff, nurses, and surgeons are all tremendous. Best of luck, you are in wonderful hands.

Riesha

I had my ileostomy done at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Remiz was the colorectal surgeon. He was absolutely awesome. They did my surgery laparoscopically, which involved removing the entire colon. I hated that I had to have the surgery, but I consider myself very lucky that I was able to go where the best of the best are!

Jupiter

Wishing you all the best care and recovery. It sounds like you have been through a lot.

Redondo

Hey Sherry Bear,
Remember that humor helps to heal. I will keep you in my prayers that your prayers are finally answered.
Best of luck

sherrybear

A big thank you all, means a lot to me to get your feedback. Yes, the doctor called today and asked me what day in June is good for me. I was shocked, never had that happen before. So, I'm looking at around the second week of June. God bless you all and I'll keep you informed or my dear friend will know all about me MOOZA, and she can post for me.

mooza

Woohooooooo Sherrybear can I come? I want a face lift?? What do you think... Nooo pick up things that will hurt you. Okay, my orders to you, my dear Shazza xxxxxxxx. Oh, just seen I have a job to do post for you, Shazza. You owe me big time for doing this... Now my face lift!!!!!!! xxx

sherrybear

Ok, my dear friend. I will see if I can get you in. Same time, we will both have a facelift. LOL. Thanks again. I really don't know what I would do without this site and all, and I mean all, of you guys. Love you all.