Embarrassing First Day at Work with an Ostomy

Replies
Views
lemon

I just started an internship at a local clinic to complete my medical assistant's degree. It is absolutely wonderful to have a career in sight. I finally feel like I am returning to somewhat normal. On my first day, I was terrified that Gerp would make noises, so I thought if I didn't eat before I went to work that it would stay quiet. I was wrong. I was assisting with a procedure and Gerp decided to start making really loud noises and all I could do was say, "Oh, I haven't eaten today. My stomach is going crazy." Even more embarrassing, I had just met the doctor who was doing the procedure and he was gorgeous. I'm pretty sure he could tell I had a bag because I had a wonderful gas bulge develop. He looked at me and said, "Wow, your stomach is really loud." And then he went back to the procedure.

The thing I was most worried about had happened, and it wasn't that bad. I'm glad it happened on my first day. It wasn't as gut-wrenchingly embarrassing as I had dreaded and no one really cares. Now I make sure I get breakfast before I go in and I realized that the tummy rumbling excuse doesn't really work, but I really don't care.

I can look back on so many moments with my ostomy and remember being horrified that something would happen like the tail sticking out of my shorts and someone seeing it, or my first public bag leak, or someone asking me what was the bulge on the right side of my stomach. When they happen, it wasn't nearly as bad as what I thought they would be. I know it's really easy to psych yourself out doing something for fear that something will happen with your bag, but those moments are usually never as bad as what you play them up to be in your mind.

J.J.

This is funny! So glad you lived through it!! And that you can laugh. I am starting to work full time within the next few weeks and have had the same concerns and worries. Thanks for making me laugh!! Take care J.J.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

littlewheel

Not eating causes air (gas) to develop, so eating small amounts is better than not eating at all.

skyblue

I had a bad bout of wind when I was in the lift with my boss. Me, I just cracked up. You should have seen my boss's face. LOL

Beaner

Hi Lemon, I would have told the doctor right up front. I was honest with everyone if something was bubbling or exploding. You'd be surprised how many people are curious and want to know more. Many times I found people could relate to it, knew someone else who had one and had a question. I guess that's the teacher coming through in me. Even if you said something like, "Oh, that's my medical condition talking to me," you may find that it will put your patients more at ease. I have a dentist friend who has a colostomy, and of course he's right there when he's working on your mouth. Never bothered him or me a bit! My best wishes for you with your career!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
deadcalm

Loved your post. I haven't gone back to my job in healthcare yet, but I have found that I'm surprisingly open about my body with others. Except, I can smell scents from miles away and am always certain I smell me. Much reading has schooled me as to what to do to prevent. Is it in my mind???

Beaner

I traveled to Vermont and back in a van with four other people, and was afraid to move an inch because I was sure they could all smell it. When we got home, I apologized to my friends for having to put up with my smell, and they said, "What smell?" I think we are overly sensitive to it at times....