Understanding Tumescence: The Surprising Connection to Stoma Behavior

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ostomate & woundr

Most people, when they think of the word tumescence, they think of the Merriam-Webster definition: the quality or state of being tumescent, especially readiness for sexual activity marked especially by vascular congestion of the sex organs.

I'm sure it would not surprise many of you to know that it can also describe the behavior of a stoma, particularly right before it begins to flow.

It doesn't matter whether it is a urostomy, ileostomy, or colostomy. Just like your sex organs, your stoma too can become engorged with blood as it begins to perform its job. This was true before you ever had an ostomy; you just didn't get to see it and therefore didn't associate the sensation with the release of mucus and peristalsis. Mucus is, of course, to lubricate the passage of matter. And peristalsis is the medical term for the rhythmic contraction of muscles to move things along.

Some men tell me they associate the sensation with their first erection when they were young boys. Because boys' equipment is on the outside and easily visible, it's not surprising they would associate the sensation with the event. Girls, on the other hand, may have experienced the sensation with regard to their sexual organs but may not have understood what was happening or even acknowledged it. Now that you have a stoma, it's a whole other story; it's a different place, a different body part making that same sensation. It can be kind of strange at first, but just realize that it is normal and typically happens when extra lubrication is required, but some people experience it whenever their stoma is active.

Aren't you glad that's normal? Well, normal for an ostimate.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Thanks! Very informative.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
TerryLT

Yes, interesting! Maybe that is why, although there are many times that my stoma is being active and I'm not even aware of it, when I do feel it starting to work, and working, it is a pleasant feeling?

Terry

CrappyColon

Apparently I left nursing school too soon before we covered this. Anatomy/physiology was my favorite subject to study. My brother keeps saying I should've gone back and become an NP or PA (he's an NP in neurology) but after medical trauma, I don't like to spend much time around hospitals so my M.A. is in something completely unrelated.

Redondo

I have an ileostomy and I don't usually feel anything even as I am watching it when I'm changing. Only time I feel something is if I have eaten anything really bulky or fibrous or corn or when I have flatulence.

Maybe different with colostomy?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gentlejohn

You sound like you are a nurse and can help me understand. Is tumescence related to peegasm? Someone told me that peegasms occur in both women and men.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to CrappyColon

I'm impressed with anybody who's completed a master's degree in anything. I was not able to complete my master's in nursing or anything else. It's what prevents me from being a nursing instructor now. But without an employer to foot the bill, I just can't afford to pony up money for a master's degree. In light of the fact, depending on how dialysis goes over the next 5 to 20 years, I may never actually have the opportunity to use it. However, learning and knowledge is never wasted. I personally drink up any new education I can get.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

As I'm looking at jobs/ going back to work I'm debating do I do something just to make and volunteer doing something I love or wait and find something I love. I've been looking at something lately but pretty sure it might require me to get a social work license. Then there's the foster babies we do respite care for and there's one right now we're waiting on a paternity test to see which way his case will go, I'll have to text you the details of the baby's story- it's crazy! Then I'm dealing with US immigration getting them to sign off on basically what is visa stage 1- my M.A. actually helps in dealing with the international issues. About 1 year of working as a nanny in Chicago completely paid for my M.A. which was a 2 year program. But that time as a nanny seeing everyone's kids raised by nannies was what convinced me I wanted to be the one primarily with my kids especially when they were younger. When I'm at an appt or running errands or with a friend I still get constant texts or phone calls usually asking for something, sometimes it's asking when I'll be home