Need advice on stoma irrigation for retracted stoma

Replies
Views
Bubbles15
Apr 09, 2023 9:27 pm

I need advice on stoma irrigation. I have a very retracted stoma and my last option is stoma irrigation. I can't continue to struggle like this. Burned and broken skin.

Beth22
Apr 09, 2023 11:38 pm

Ouch, that hurts. I've been through that a couple of times now. Have you tried convex wafers? If so, and it still didn't work, have you had an appointment with your surgeon and talked about a revision?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,875 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Apr 10, 2023 6:57 am

Hello Bubbles15.

Like most things stoma related, I believe that each individual should try as many different approaches as they can before they find out what suits them best.

There is no doubt in my mind that irrigation is a very effective and efficient way to manage my stoma and it frees me up from output during the day, which in turn makes life so much easier in so many different ways. 

There are many videos on you tube  to show the practicalities of 'how' to irrigate, but before you actually start, the advice from 'experts' is to get advice from a stoma expert like a nurse, because not everyone is a suitable candidate for this procedure. 

The only way to really know if irrigation will work for you is to try it and see. If it does work, then you will look back and wonder why you didn't try it before. I hope that you will be one of those who benefit from irrigation and then you can pass on your experiences to others asking for advice on this issue.

Best wishes

Bill

mild_mannered_super_hero
Apr 10, 2023 10:21 am

Irrigation is a wonderful tool to manage your ostomy. Have you checked with your doctor or nurse to make sure you qualify? You must have some descending colon left and it must be healthy. Once you are certain that you qualify, you can search YouTube for colostomy irrigation. There are several videos that show you how. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them if I can. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

gentlejohn
Apr 12, 2023 3:06 pm

I know people who irrigate do not need to wear a barrier but only a security bag.

Contact your doctor and enterostomal therapist regarding irrigating and skin irritation.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jaemac
Apr 17, 2023 10:02 pm

I have the same problem, a stoma that is below the skin and a concave "hole" leading to the stoma. For months I had terribly irritated, bleeding skin. Then I started using Cavilon advanced skin protection ampule with a sponge applicator. It looks like this:

Cavilon 0.7ml applicator

They are expensive but hopefully they'd be covered by your insurance. You push the lever and the liquid flows to the sponge, you cover your irritated skin and you can also cover where the convex wafer and bag stick too. (There will be just enough). I have trouble with having the bag etc stick so the Cavilon also helps it all stick well. You use the same remover pads that you use on the bags to unstick from your skin. My skin is now perfectly healthy as I use an applicator every time I change a bag. Just so you know, the stool that touches the Cavilon instead of your skin directly will wear through the Cavilon in about 2-3 days so you'll have to change the bag similarly. Mine only lasts 48 hours anyway as nothing sticks well to my skin for any length of time. Maybe you'll have better luck and it'll last longer, it's all trial and error.

Oh, also, know there are other Cavilon (by 3M) products out there. Not only is there a much larger applicator like the 0.7ml one but there are creams with the same Cavilon pure liquid in it (like adding the 0.7ml pure Cavilon to a body cream.) The creams will NOT work for us as it makes the bags etc not stick, can't use body creams under appliances. Hope this helps!