Preparing for Reversal Surgery: Questions for the Surgeon

Replies
Views
clair.crowley83

Hi all,

I've got an appointment to discuss my possible reversal coming up in a few days. I haven't had any hospital appointments since I've had the stoma, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Will there need to be preliminary examinations to see if I'm fit for a reversal, etc.

Anyway, what I need from you guys is some advice on what to ask the surgeons. I want to make a list of questions so that I'm fully prepared for everything that's to come, and I want to be sure that a reversal is the right option for me. Are there any of you that regretted not asking your surgeons something before your successful or unsuccessful reversals?

I'd be grateful for any input.

CrappyColon

What type of reversal are you possibly having?

I ask a lot of questions and like to know how everything works.

I did make sure I could go back to an ileostomy if the reversal failed and/or I didn't like it.

The only thing I didn't know going into my reversal surgery was that there was a 50/50 chance of my small intestine not waking up for a while. And it didn't, so I had an NG tube and extra week in the hospital. I am also really allergic to the main medicine they use here in the US to try to wake it up so they had to get creative, but they did find one that helped.
I would also ask about pelvic floor therapy for after. And what you can be doing now to strengthen those muscles- my ostomy nurse actually helped me a lot with that.
Jodie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,574 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

What're the chances this won't work?  What percent of reversal surgeries are failures?  What possible complications will I face?  Will I face prospect of returning to having a bag in the future?  What're the chances of that happening?  What are the signs you see that this is going to be okay?  What can lead to it NOT being okay?  Can I expect post-surgical complications?  What are they?  Will I face physical or dietary restrictions after reversal that I don't face now?  What presently unknown potential complications or circumstances can I expect?  Are there considerations I haven't thought of that you think ought to be taken into account?  Have you performed reversals before?  Were they all successful?  (I have a nagging feeling that I could keep this up all day...)  Good luck to you.  

Footie97

Clair

Crappy and Henry had good ones, for me I had to have a colonoscopy 2 days pre-reversal to check my rectum and closure of colon to make sure everything was healthy for reattaching them. Ask about ileus formation after surgery and how to reduce the likelihood that it develops. My best advice is to get out of bed as soon and as much as possible, walk walk walk! Take baby wipes and butt paste because your butt will burn with the first BMs. I was told by my ostomy nurse to accept that you will probably not have good control of bowels for a while. They told me to take some adult diapers to sleep in for a few nights. Expect an accident; it happened to me.

Is your surgery open or laparoscopic? How long to expect to be in the hospital? How long is the surgery? What if I have adhesions? Will my ostomy site be closed with suture or left open? I will think of more but you have a good start.

Good luck

Footie

Virgo68

Wow, a lot of great questions. I'm afraid to get the reversal done because of possible complications and it not working. I really had a hard time when I had the first surgery. I need to copy all of those questions when I do go back to my surgeon, just in case I do decide to ever get it done. Thanks all!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
clair.crowley83

Thank you all for your excellent advice. I went to the meeting with a list as long as my arm, and the surgeon managed to answer them all sufficiently. I'm booked in for my reversal in three weeks, so trying not to allow my anxieties to overcome me now, and hopefully it'll all be behind me very soon.

Daisy2023
Reply to clair.crowley83

You were smart to make this post. So many good questions. Good luck with your surgery.

knitter
Reply to HenryM

This is really, really helpful. I had an ileostomy on May 1st this year. I am still experiencing discomfort, tenderness, and anxiety about it all but Tylenol helps the physical elements and I have a wonderful family. At any rate, my first visit with the surgeon is next Tuesday, and I want to be prepared to ask the right questions. I am told that I can have a reversal, but the timing is still unclear because I'm sure the healing process is different for everyone.

I feel fortunate because I am healthy otherwise. I had a rectal tumor and that was removed successfully. I want to believe I can return to a "normal" life after the reversal, but I have to take everything one step at a time.

This forum has been helpful, and I appreciate hearing about the experiences of other people. Thank you so much for your input regarding what questions to ask at the appointment with the surgeon.