Emptying Ileostomy Bag: Standing or Sitting?

Replies
Views
jeanneskindle
Reply to CrappyColon

I have to say, were I tall, I would but brag! I crack my own dang self up!

Hisbiscus
Reply to jeanneskindle

Haha, same here! I stand and I feel funny when I come out because I feel like they knew I was standing like a guy. And I rinse, lol! All that splash! I've never turned my shoes around though, but once I was in an urgent care waiting to be seen and asked if I could use the restroom. I was rinsing my bag and the nurses at the desk are banging on the door asking if I'm okay. When I came out, they are asking if I'm vomiting. I'm laughing and saying no, I have an Ostomy and I was rinsing.
Since that day, whenever I start a new job because the business I'm in, you get sent to different homes. I always wonder if they think I'm vomiting when I'm rinsing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Twomadogs

I saw a picture of a disabled toilet in Japan where they have special ostomy toilets where you stand before them and hoses to wash the bag out.

So I converted my stainless steel laundry trough to do the same.

It's all going into the same drain system as the toilets. I built a small platform to stand on to suit my bag height and have a flexible hose to wash out my bag every time. Being stainless steel it's really easy to keep clean and I do my bag changes there too.

When out and about I have to kneel down in front of the toilet as I'm a man and parts of me hang into a bowl when sitting, I carry a disposable water bottle and flush the bag out every time. If you run out of water while doing this just flush the loo and fill up the bottle while it's flushing.

Sounds a bit gross but really it's all just water. Chuck the bottle in the bin after.

Before the laundry trough idea, I fitted bidet-type hoses to both of my home toilets, these hang beside the bowl and have trigger-type nozzles, they work a treat too.

Cheers, Ian.

w30bob
Reply to Twomadogs

We had a good discussion about Japanese public ostomy toilets on here a while back. They really embrace ostomates in Japan and have come up with some very innovative toilets that cater to us. We just can't get them here. So, improvise we must. Good job Twoma!!

:o)

jeanneskindle
Reply to Hisbiscus

Haha Hibiscus! We just go through more because an ostomy is a tougher thing to talk about than a migraine headache, for example. I hear you, sister.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister