Advocating for Free Essential Items: Lobbying Your Government

In this discussion
Replies
Views
IGGIE

I hear on here how people are washing out their bag and trying to get more days out of them than they are designed for. And some say how dear things are and they can't afford them. I have told you before in Australia everything is totally free, the government made it all free many many years ago. You all have to lobby your local government as well as your federal government. Get as many signatures that you can and do it big time. It all starts with the first person to take this seriously. Come on guys, don't just laugh this off saying they won't do it. They won't if you do nothing about it. Regards, IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maried

That is so wonderful that you get all your supplies free. Ostomy products are so expensive. I am with Kaiser HMO and the products are free (I only pay if I need extra items) but in the past I had to pay $500 to $1500 before any type of coverage for ostomy products was covered by my insurance, and the usual coverage was discounts of 20%.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
William15

Hi all

Likewise, here in the UK all ostomy supplies are free, whatever your financial situation and no insurance is necessary. Also in the UK, having an ostomy makes you eligible to have free prescriptions for any physical and mental health medications and appliances - if under the age of 60, and on reaching 60, everyone automatically becomes eligible to have all their prescriptions for free.

Will

Ben38

Agree always worth trying.

I'm lucky living in the UK we have the NHS so for the time being we're spoilt for choice in what ostomy products we can have. Unfortunately, our government has run our NHS into the ground. Even nurses are saying the NHS won't exist in another 2 years. Then we will be in the same position as many other members on here across the globe, needing insurance or paying for the supplies ourselves.

IGGIE
Reply to Maried

Hello Marie,

You say you get them free but how much do you pay for your insurance??? Regards, Iggie

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Maried
Reply to IGGIE

Medical insurance approx. $160.00 a month through my employer. The medical coverage prices here in the US have become more and more expensive. When my kids were little and I was married, the same coverage was $260.00 a month for a family of 4 and visits to the doctor were $10 and $20 per visit. Now visits are $40 to $60, so I guess you can say my supplies are included in my medical coverage price, which is nice for me.

elwick
Reply to William15

Hi William15 and all,

I also am in the UK. Just to remind everyone that although we do not pay as individuals for our stoma products and other medical bits and pieces, we do have an extra tax in the UK that working people pay called National Insurance, that in theory is where the money comes from. Elwick

susanpayne957
Reply to IGGIE

In the UK, National Insurance tax is taken from your wages from the start of your working in paid employment. This is how the NHS is funded...every adult contributes. It also goes towards your State Pension. Even if you are on State Unemployment Benefits, the state then adds NI contributions towards pension, etc. Of course, the Government puts money into the NHS too but not enough as the Tory party would rather sneak in privatization, is anti-unions, and would rather feed the wealth of rich privateers and their like than help the needy. Hence the nurse and doctor strikes in England.

Hope that explains it.

IGGIE

I cannot believe that not one American said they would do something to get their government to give all American ostomates free access to their ostomy products. It's only the English people making comments. Come on, America, get off your ass and start the ball rolling or are you waiting for someone else to do it all for you.

IGGIE

Well, that was a total waste of time.

YankeeMagnolia68
Reply to IGGIE

I found reading your post, the comments very interesting. I am in the US. I like the idea that we could do a petition to see about getting supplies for free, but the way our health system works, petitioning our government probably won't do much. What is allowed and what each person pays depends completely on each person's insurance policy.... that seems to apply even when it comes to Medicare (for those who have reached their retirement age of 65 and over, as well as those who have been on social security disability for more than 3 years). Medicare does limit how much a person is allowed and anything over that is not covered at all...that's 100% on the ostomate. However, there's "regular" Medicare, then there are tons of Medicare Advantage insurance to choose from so co-pays and deductibles are different depending upon insurance carrier and whichever plan option a person chooses. We don't have anything that is consistent and/or unified....it's just a whole different kind of system than the NHS or similar.

Beachboy

Hello, American citizen responding. Only reason I'm still working at age 65 is to keep really good, but expensive company-provided medical benefits for my wife. I don't want to have Medicare as my only option if I retired. All Medicare plans are individual policies. My wife is 3 years younger than me and does not work. My company does offer retiree medical insurance, but it's too expensive to be a realistic option when on a fixed income.

Writing letters to our politicians is a waste of time unless we enclose large campaign contribution checks. Simply sending sad letters and petitions describing our dismal healthcare choices and tales of eventual poverty from sky-high premiums and co-pays would only elicit a chuckle from our entrenched kingpins, then be summarily tossed in the round file (trash).

Growing old, middle class, in America is a game of chance and genetics. We can plan and save money. But when we're on a fixed income, then develop an expensive disease or condition... cue the cat food for dinner. Example: I recently was taken by paramedics to the hospital. Spent a day and a half there in a semi-private room. Had the usual blood tests, IV. Turns out I was dehydrated. Got the bill 2 weeks later... $31,000, and that didn't include the scans. Thank goodness the hospital was "in network" and my insurance had contracted rates with them. Otherwise I would be facing a huge bill. The largest cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical bills. Asking our elected officials to help us is like Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

Take care,

Dan