Post-Op Ostomy: Concerns About Bowel Movements

Replies
Views
Harveynics9

So my husband just had his ostomy and is passing gas but nothing else. They gave him stool softeners, laxatives, prune juice, and even a suppository via his stoma (had no idea they could do that) and nothing. How long after does it take? Doctor says everything looks fine but he's starting to go down the rabbit hole of why did I do this etc. Thanks

CrappyColon

May I ask what type of surgery he had/reason for ostomy and what type of ostomy?

He's not throwing anything back up right? Is there any liquid being excreted into the bag?

Have they given him Reglan or something long that starts with an A to jump-start his intestines?

He needs to keep hearing everything will be ok right now if verbal reassurance is something that is helpful to him. Gas is a really good thing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig

My first thought was that gas is good, too. As long as he's moving, passing that gas and being told that everything looks ok, I think he can be reassured, especially while his mind is going other places i.e. regret. You posted yesterday - is today any better?

Beth22

Question... Is he still in the hospital? It's good he is passing gas... Is he having any stomach or intestinal pain?

Harveynics9

Yep, he's still in the hospital and has passed out a couple of times but just not having any bowel movements. They've been trying for hours to get a GI doctor to take a look. His X-ray showed no blockage.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Harveynics9
Reply to CrappyColon

He has anal cancer and the tumor was blocking. It's a temporary colostomy with everything still intact. Not throwing up at all and other than a very little bit of blood no fluid in the bag. All ask about the Reglan if/when they ever get the on-call GI Doctor to show up. Thanks!!!

ron in mich

Hi Harvey, has he eaten anything of substance like pasta or mashed potatoes, or is he still on liquids? It's the chewing and swallowing of food that usually gets the gut moving, also chewing gum.

Beth22
Reply to Harveynics9

Is he getting up and walking? Walking is good. If he isn't having any output, stay to liquids. If he has pain and discomfort, switch to just water. I am hoping they still have an IV with fluids in him. Did they do a CT scan or an x-ray?

CrappyColon

Harvey, how are things today?

jenssen100

Hi, I need to change experiences.

Why not?

jenssen100

Doing fine and feeling very good. Hope you are as well.

Past Member

Hey Harvey,

So when I had my surgery, I was producing nothing but bile for over a week. So I believe it was day 10, then they put a tube down my throat to empty all the fluid. I had the tube down my throat for about 24 hours, and then I had my first BM. Hope this has resolved without needing that.