3 Days Post-Op: No Bowel Movement Yet

Replies
Views
Harveynics9
Jun 03, 2023 10:32 pm

So my husband just had his ostomy and is passing gas but nothing else. They gave him stool softeners, laxatives, prune juice, and even a suppository via his stoma (had no idea they could do that) and nothing. How long after does it take? Doctor says everything looks fine but he's starting to go down the rabbit hole of why did I do this etc. Thanks

CrappyColon
Jun 03, 2023 11:53 pm

May I ask what type of surgery he had/reason for ostomy and what type of ostomy?

He's not throwing anything back up right? Is there any liquid being excreted into the bag?

Have they given him Reglan or something long that starts with an A to jump-start his intestines?

He needs to keep hearing everything will be ok right now if verbal reassurance is something that is helpful to him. Gas is a really good thing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

eefyjig
Jun 04, 2023 12:12 am

My first thought was that gas is good, too. As long as he's moving, passing that gas and being told that everything looks ok, I think he can be reassured, especially while his mind is going other places i.e. regret. You posted yesterday - is today any better?

Beth22
Jun 04, 2023 1:12 am

Question... Is he still in the hospital? It's good he is passing gas... Is he having any stomach or intestinal pain?

Harveynics9
Jun 04, 2023 1:16 am

Yep, he's still in the hospital and has passed out a couple of times but just not having any bowel movements. They've been trying for hours to get a GI doctor to take a look. His X-ray showed no blockage.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Harveynics9
Jun 04, 2023 1:22 am
Reply to CrappyColon

He has anal cancer and the tumor was blocking. It's a temporary colostomy with everything still intact. Not throwing up at all and other than a very little bit of blood no fluid in the bag. All ask about the Reglan if/when they ever get the on-call GI Doctor to show up. Thanks!!!

ron in mich
Jun 04, 2023 12:03 pm

Hi Harvey, has he eaten anything of substance like pasta or mashed potatoes, or is he still on liquids? It's the chewing and swallowing of food that usually gets the gut moving, also chewing gum.

Beth22
Jun 04, 2023 12:33 pm
Reply to Harveynics9

Is he getting up and walking? Walking is good. If he isn't having any output, stay to liquids. If he has pain and discomfort, switch to just water. I am hoping they still have an IV with fluids in him. Did they do a CT scan or an x-ray?

CrappyColon
Jun 05, 2023 2:26 am

Harvey, how are things today?

jenssen100
Jun 05, 2023 4:13 am

Hi, I need to change experiences.

Why not?

jenssen100
Jun 05, 2023 4:28 am

Doing fine and feeling very good. Hope you are as well.

Past Member
Jun 09, 2023 10:47 pm

Hey Harvey,

So when I had my surgery, I was producing nothing but bile for over a week. So I believe it was day 10, then they put a tube down my throat to empty all the fluid. I had the tube down my throat for about 24 hours, and then I had my first BM. Hope this has resolved without needing that.