Using Pumpkin to Control Stoma Output - Any Other Food Suggestions?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

I have recently discovered that pumpkin (specifically pumpkin pie mix because it tastes good) slows down my output better than Imodium, and my surgeon wants me to find foods that control output rather than taking 2 Imodium 3 times a day. Has anyone else tried pumpkin? Do you have any other food suggestions for thickening and reducing the amount of output. (My stoma, "Marvin" (so named after Marvin the Martian because when I first looked at him he looked like a Martian blob) is a very busy 2 and a half month old)

Lee

CrappyColon

Do the pumpkin muffins from Panera help? (First thing that popped in my head because that's one of the few things I like consistently)

Marshmallows, anything potato, rice... eat ahead of other foods so it slows them down behind it

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Kudos to the surgeon who recommended food source as opposed to drugs!!! Seems to be a rare thing these days. I sport an ileostomy so output varies in texture and color - therefore, I never pay much attention to output. One thing I know for sure - coffee takes the expressway every morning clearing the way for the day's activities! My surgeon says output (for ileostomy) should be the consistency of oatmeal - would be great but mine has a mindless path of its own. JB

w30bob

Hi IC,

Pumpkin is high in soluble fiber, which dissolves in water to make a thick viscous "sludge"......so it makes sense it would slow down your output. Same goes for the various forms of squash, etc. Who said pumpkins are only for Halloween? Just don't eat the pumpkin muffins......the sugar will drive your bowels nuts, defeating the purpose of the fiber.

;O)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

Don't you dare go and try to ruin pumpkin muffins - they're still really pumpkin-y with a few other good ingredients tossed in (Panera is supposed to be a healthier place right? Something like that?)

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose

The following work for me: bananas, marshmallows, mashed potatoes, yams, pasta.

--Daniel

Axl

I don't do it for the result but all roast/steamed vegetables, also rice are the thing that slows me down inside the most, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, potato, green beans to pumpkin, all of them but even that isn't always the case. Mango to from memory.

Beth22

Lol, I am opposite on the pumpkin. The weirdest things thicken me and thin me... Pumpkin makes me roll like a river, lol... But I would suggest mashed potatoes and bread for sure. Then you just gotta see what works for you. Everyone's body is different. But with suggestions, you have a really good place to start and see what your output does.

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

That is the issue........maybe at Panera they're made with real pumpkin.......but many pumpkin products are not. They use artificial flavor and are basically all sugar. And sugar is an irritant to bowels. So sure......if you make pumpkin muffins with real pumpkin......have at it. Otherwise avoid them. Maybe Crapster can make pumpkin muffins for all of us..........whatchu say C......you in the mood to bake?

;O)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

I almost baked something today... but then... I didn't.

Um, how many muffins do you think you're volunteering for me to bake? I made these blueberry muffins the other day (they had a lot of butter in them) and they tasted good, but no matter what I do they're not uniform shaped on the top half of the muffin. I don't think that has anything to do with sugar and bowels though.

IGGIE

Pumpkins good, rice pudding, toast, marshmallows, potato chips, muffins go give them all a go. If it doesn't work there is always cement. Regards IGGIE

CrappyColon

Can physics tell me why I can't get the tops of the muffins to all look the same?

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

The site claims 29,500 members, but most are either long gone or don't pay attention... so just make 5000ish muffins. Best get started now if we're all meeting at your place for Thanksgiving and want a muffin! Make mine last, as I like 'em warm. Not sure where you'll find all those pumpkins this time of year, but you're resourceful... you'll think of something. Maybe a well-placed prayer might help.

I can smell them baking already... YUMMMM... YUMMMMM!

;O)

bowsprit

Pumpkins and their seeds are good for a dog's digestive system. Lots of vitamins and minerals are in there. I don't have access to dog medicines always, have to get them from Dubai. Not a good idea to give them human meds, but if they have diarrhea or constipation, the pumpkin treat will cure it. It also helps as a home remedy for worms.

CrappyColon
Reply to bowsprit

That's really good to know as I have 3 dogs, and I want to foster so the pumpkin would be good for a puppy with worms. I recently found out my youngest pup has a type of dog lupus. She'll need medication for the rest of her life, but we started with natural so she takes vitamins A and E right now. They said it's common in shepherds so I'm guessing her mom wasn't a pure Belgian Malinois and had German shepherd too.

Casper9

Hi!

I find that oatmeal, potatoes, pasta, squash, and rice work for me.

Did someone say muffins? Yummmm

w30bob
Reply to Casper9

Yup! Crappy volunteered to make muffins for everyone... so bring all your friends too!! The more the merrier!

;O)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

A well-placed prayer for yourself might be a better idea after volunteering me to bake what 5k give or take a couple 100 muffins? When you were the one being all Grinch-y over the goodness of the pumpkin muffins I like.

Simonseznow

Sweet potato works too.

Redondo

Marshmallows, although they have a lot of sugar, can slow you down. Also, peanut butter.

Chiquis

Marshmallows

SaharaToo

I

Mysterious Mose
Reply to SaharaToo

This chart has a prominent place on our refrigerator.

Immarsh

To Lee All.....so much personal good advice.. Hi, I'm Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy (due to UC) for nearly 60 years, since I was a kid of 15.. For more

Immarsh

Continued... Whoops sent too soon... For more than 50 years, I ate what I wanted, with no noticeable differences... Difficult fiber, like raw celery and carrots, I avoided, and I think I only had a serious blockage once or twice (from a pastry filled with poppy seeds). Some nuts caused problems, but I was able to eat well-cooked veggies, most fruits, especially balanced with carbs, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. Balancing a meal made all the difference (rarely ate salad alone). But about 5 years ago, I started to get frequent "runs", with output looking more like urine than poop. I had to change my diet significantly (now start the day with oatmeal and half a banana). It worked for a time, but when the persistent gas started (filling up the pouch without output), I went to the doctor. He diagnosed it as a form of IBS, complicated by not having a large intestine. He recommended the "FODMAP diet"... letters stand for the hard-to-digest sugars found in many fruits and veggies, including lemons, limes, most fruits, and even in artificial sweeteners. If gas and extreme liquid output is an issue for you, research the FODMAP diet. Not all doctors are familiar with it. My gastro "says" that without a large intestine, we may be missing some of the enzymes that help digest foods. Also, digestion changes as we get older. So, I've eliminated most of the target foods, but have been counseled to "try" those foods one at a time, to see if tolerated. It doesn't mean you can always eat them, and don't do more than one at a time. An example is tomato (which I love). I can have a slice or two with no problem, or a few spoonfuls of "sauce" on occasion, but not a lot and not often. It made cooking and eating out quite boring, but I've adjusted to that as well. Occasionally, I still have loose or liquid output, but only for an hour or two, not for days on end. Prior to that, I had to be rushed to the hospital for dehydration (losing a pint of liquids every half hour). That was scary, depressing, and extreme. But it seems under control now, except for the excess gas, which is still an issue especially at night. I use Convatec with the filter, but it's not as effective as it should be. Feel free to write if you have any questions. Best wishes to all. Marsha

Justbreathe
Reply to Immarsh

An estimate for 50 years plus... I am in awe... You are truly a warrior! ;jb

Stormy2

I also eat canned pumpkin to thicken the output. I mix it with vanilla Greek yogurt and lots of cinnamon. It tastes almost like pumpkin pie. Also, orange sweet potatoes really thicken the output. You need to adjust how much you eat so the output doesn't get too thick. Mashed potatoes are supposed to work also, and applesauce, but pumpkin works the best.

thebertonlagden
Reply to CrappyColon

I am not a physicist; however, a suggestion might be variable temperature/temp gradient in your oven....?????

MoeMoe
Reply to SaharaToo

I am 4 weeks new to colostomy, thank you for sharing this chart! I'm terrified of blockage and was just asking my doc about it yesterday since I've had 2 open surgeries within a month. I really appreciate how much everyone shares on this site, it's amazing!! Thank you again, I think I too will put in my fridge