Heatwave and Ostomy Products: Impact on Adhesive Effectiveness?

Replies
Views
Doreen 21

Hi

We are in the middle of a heatwave in the UK. Being a relatively new ostomate, I am wondering whether the heat can affect the effectiveness of the ileostomy products both during storage and while in use? I use Salts base rings and Coloplast pouches. Thanks all.

w30bob

Hi D,

Barriers and rings need to be stored in a cool, dark place. They're affected by heat, which is why they stick so well to our body's... they're essentially body heat activated. You also don't want them in light, as UV rays will break down the elastomeric and polymer compounds. Bags shouldn't care too much about how they're stored. Just keep everything in their original boxes in a relatively cool spot out of direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

As for how heat affects them in use... varies by person. Usually, perspiration is the enemy, not heat, but everyone's mileage will vary.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,589 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I put my ostomy stuff through a lot, especially during the hotter months. I've yet to have one fail from heat/sweat. The spare I keep in my truck takes on a lot of temperature changes, especially when it's outside. I replace those extras in my truck usually once a year since I've never had an actual emergency and needed to use one. I do use those bags/rings when I rotate fresh ones in. I haven't noticed any difference in their effectiveness or longevity compared to ones that are kept in my house. I wouldn't leave them in direct sunlight type heat but leaving them in a plastic tote hasn't hindered mine at all.

Maried

I keep my supplies in the coolest part of my house, a bedroom closet with doors closed. Best to not store in hot cars or bathrooms.

Doreen 21
Reply to w30bob

Thanks, Bob. I will ensure they are stored in a cool area in the house. I appreciate your advice.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Doreen 21
Reply to AlexT

Thanks Alex, your reply is very reassuring. I think I am over worrying about it, to be honest. I am new to all this, so I am sure I will get a grip on it all very soon. However, from your reply, it's very reassuring that the products seem to be resilient to temperature changes. Appreciate your reply.

Axl

Hello Doreen

A heat wave in England, you say!

I just googled London weather and it seems it's around 28°C there. Here in Oz, a heat wave is above 40°C. I'm absolutely positive you won't have any trouble unless you were to take the bags out of the box and leave them in direct sunlight.

Axl

Doreen 21

Haha Axl, that is so funny. Yes, anything over 21° and lasting for more than a couple of days is considered a heatwave in the UK!

So, how do your products behave in extremes of over 40°? Any problems? I am beginning to think I've got the worrying out of all proportion!

Axl

Hello Doreen

I can't say I have ever had an issue with storing or the adhesion of the appliances and until recently used to work quite hard at training regardless of the weather temp. And yes, I keep my stuff in the original box in a large cupboard. I also use salt rings

Axl

IGGIE

G'day Doreen,

Axl's right, 28°C is just warm so you have no problem. Regards, Iggie

Twomadogs

Hello, I live in Australia too, Queensland.

I keep my supplies stored inside except for an emergency kit in the car.

I don't have any problems there but do have difficulty in mid-summer if I'm working in the garden, etc., with sweat causing the wafer to lose adhesion.

I stop when I notice it and cool off.

But occasionally I do get caught out. No biggie, just cool off, clean up, and pop a new bag on. That's with temps above 30°C though.

Cheers, Ian

IGGIE
Reply to Twomadogs

G'day Twodogs, do you know the Aussie joke about Twodogs and the Indian Chief.

AlexT
Reply to Twomadogs

I've never had that issue and I sweat and get hot a lot along with the humidity in the summer. ‍

TomFTW

I live in Texas (aka Hell) and ConvaTec has worked very well for me over the years. It also depends on how active you are outside. I don't know anything about those rings. The ones I tried never worked for me. Eakin seals are common here. You might try those if you need rings.