Unusual Smell in Output: Anyone Else Experienced This?

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Jun 20, 2023 11:43 pm

Lately, I have been having diarrhea on and off, and to me, my output actually smells like a wild animal, lol! Has anyone else ever experienced this? I was checked for C. diff, but another doctor told me they might have to get a sample from a stoma scope.

AlexT
Jun 21, 2023 12:50 am

Your diet will dictate how your output smells as well as how long your output stays in your body. Change those up, the odor will change.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Jun 21, 2023 1:58 am
Reply to AlexT

Hi, I had 2 small servings of yogurt, Campbell's potato soup, and then instant oatmeal. Those were all eaten at different times in the matter of 4 hours today when it happened. I wonder if it's milk products? Like the yogurt? It's something that's been happening quite a bit lately but today was the first time I've had yogurt in a long while. It's hard to explain but it smells like a wild animal smell.
Can you give me some good suggestions of what to eat for odors?

Maried
Jun 21, 2023 3:07 am

Put M9 or another ostomy deodorant and there will be almost no smells.

AlexT
Jun 21, 2023 3:57 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

I'm the last person you want telling you what to eat. I eat anything and everything. However, reading what you ate, you need some solid food in my opinion.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Beth22
Jun 21, 2023 11:12 am

I agree with Alex T. I will tell you though, I eat potato soup and that will make your output smell oddly. Lol, try not eating the potato soup and see if the odor stops. By wild animal, do you mean a fishy smell?

ron in mich
Jun 21, 2023 1:16 pm

Hi all, a local bakery/restaurant makes a great potato ham soup. When I eat that, my output smells earthy. It is the only way I can describe it, and I don't get that odor if I eat a baked potato or other type of spuds.

IGGIE
Jun 21, 2023 3:44 pm

Stop eating wild animals.

gentlejohn
Jun 22, 2023 10:07 pm

I agree with Maried. Use M9.

bumblebeebob9
Jul 07, 2023 2:50 am

Like Alex, I eat anything and everything with no odor. Years ago, many local ostomy club members were reporting they used baby aspirin inside the pouch to eliminate all odor. Always check with your doctor or stoma nurse.

Killarney
Jul 17, 2023 12:44 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

I live in England. What's a wild animal smell like?