Can I Eat a Tootsie Pop After Ileostomy Surgery?

Replies
Views
Iamari
Jul 30, 2023 11:23 pm
Reply to tndrew

Hi Drew,

Thank you so much! I know they started me on such a fast diet in the beginning which led to the obstruction within the first week. Oh, the throwing up :( the worst ever. I miss my iced tea but I'm so afraid of dehydration that I gave it and diet soda up. I only have 30 percent of my stomach because I had such severe gastroparesis they removed 70 percent a few years ago. So if I eat too much I can't drink and if I drink too much I can't eat. Phewww it's been a ride. Thank you for the info. I am terrified of an obstruction but also have to be ok in my head that scaring and such is just part of it. I appreciate you reaching out. :)

Ari

Ebony&Ivory
Jul 31, 2023 1:24 am

I have an ileo and Crohn's. Sugar upsets my stomach, but if you can tolerate it and your doctor doesn't say don't, then go for it!

E I

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,890 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 31, 2023 2:42 am
Reply to Iamari

Yes. I experienced abdominal pain in varying degrees for the first 3 months, at least. I was on opiates for that long. I was also on TPN for a little over 4 months and had my JP drain for the same.

It takes at least a year to fully recover from abdominal surgery. And for me at my age, I will never recover to where I was before I got sick. The pneumonia damaged my already compromised lungs. The hospital stay caused a lot of other lesser issues I am working through. But like I would tell my nurses when they commented on how much I was going through, it is what it is and I'm still breathing and I am okay with that.

Getting to this site was one of the best things I did for myself though. Not just for the advice and camaraderie. But also for how much I have learned about what other people have gone through. I realize I am a lucky guy.

Daniel

Mark B
Jul 31, 2023 7:59 am

Hi I am Ari,

Feeling hungry is a good sign. A few licks of a Tootsie Pop shouldn't cause any problems.

Mark

Oscar23
Jul 31, 2023 11:57 am

Hi Lamari,

When I first met other ostomates in real life (eating dinner together), I thought I was in a parallel universe. Everyone wanted to eat at a Mexican place (we were with non-ostomate friends, muggles if you will). That should have been my first lesson in relativity. Colostomates were ordering salads, while friends were eating corn chips. This was after me experiencing diet restrictions and blockages for about a decade with both a urostomy and ileostomy. I've learned from this group and meeting other ostomates that it is relative. I am extra cautious with my diet relative to hydration.

Onions - I make sure I pick out the big ones. Maui onions in hamburgers gave me a blockage in year 10. The blockages I'm referring to are the ones where I am on my knees, writhing in pain, and eventually unable to drink any more. Ideally, I've learned that before I get to day 3, it's best to get professional help. Usually for me, that's the ER for IV fluids and monitoring.

Soybeans/edamame - I usually eat at sushi restaurants all the time. However, visiting Montana in July and eating undercooked edamame led to a blockage in year 21. This one was a surprise, but back to relativity: I'm sure the dry 90+ heat, recent airplane ride, plus undercooked food were the perfect storm.

On a daily basis, this summer at home to stay hydrated, I eat seedless watermelon, sea salt everything, bananas, tomatoes (usually removing the skin), yogurt, water with electrolytes, and to measure my hydration, I'm measuring output - and color.

So yes, eat part of the Tootsie Roll at low elevation when you are hydrated, but not while riding a horse in Montana (after getting off an airplane).

Take care!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
john.m.schmidt1
Jul 31, 2023 3:12 pm

5 months in, the only issue I have is that it appears I am allergic to the adhesive from the ileostomy bags. Food-wise, I have tried everything, nuts, all fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. Everything but a large salad. That's what I miss the most. Try to introduce something once a week until you feel comfortable. If it shows signs of a slight blockage, use your food groups that loosen everything up. Enjoy your Tootsie Pop!

Immarsh
Jul 31, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi Lamari, I'm Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for nearly 60 years, since I was a teen of 15. It took 3 surgeries, over 5 years, first two to create the ileostomy and remove the damaged colon. When I was 19, I finally opted (against doctors and parents' wishes) to have the diseased rectal stump removed and have the surgery made permanent. I never regretted the decision. I married, had two kids, and pretty much ate anything I liked. I love tootsie pops (and tootsie rolls) and never had a problem with either. I was a big fan of taffy (couldn't eat chocolate when I was younger) and also loved licorice. The only problem I had on occasions was with some nuts and some raw veggies. Now, 60 years later, I've developed a form of IBS, so "many" foods I've always been able to eat have become a problem. But that shouldn't affect you. You received some really nice and helpful responses. I've been a member of this site for a very long time and always find others helpful. At first, I didn't think I "needed" it, but realize that when you reach out to help others, you are also helping yourself. Wishing you the best of luck and feel free to write anytime you have questions or an issue to discuss. Marsha

danfraz
Aug 01, 2023 1:01 pm
Reply to Iamari

As time has gone on, I have learned that I can pretty much eat anything as long as I chew, chew, chew and am willing to handle any small aftermath. Double ostomies as well so if you have a question, feel free to chat.

JewelG
Aug 01, 2023 3:35 pm
Reply to bowsprit

But no one can resist actually biting into it so other than by machine, no one really knows how many human licks it takes.

JewelG
Aug 01, 2023 3:36 pm
Reply to bowsprit

But no one can resist actually biting into it so other than by machine, no one really knows how many human licks it takes.

JewelG
Aug 01, 2023 3:41 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Ooh, are those the flavored ones? I love the vanilla flavor. I think they have a light blue wrapper.

JewelG
Aug 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Good morning,

I've had my ostomy for about 6 months. We went on a road trip and I ate candy all weekend. Dumb, I'm usually pretty disciplined. Anyway, mini Payday candy bars and Milk Duds. Very bad idea, peanuts, sticky nougat and I think Milk Duds are basically chocolate taffy. At least I was careful to chew really well, but it took tons of water to get back to normal. It didn't help we were at an outdoor music festival in a campground in 95° weather. Anyway, I did get a little light-headed so I won't be trying that again. I would say go for it and drink extra water and/or Gatorade.

OU812
Aug 02, 2023 3:41 pm

I realize that we are all different when it comes to foods that work for us and foods that don't. I myself avoid all chewy, sticky, gummy items since my ileostomy in 2018. I had a weak moment at a party in 2019 and ate one small piece of rich fudge (on a popsicle stick with sprinkles) that got stuck on the spot and caused an obstruction that landed me back in the hospital; so I learned my lesson that day. The other patient in my hospital room was there because she ate a pickle. Since the hospital is my least favorite place on the planet, I take the food rules very seriously. My advice would be to find another, less dangerous sweet treat. I haven't had a tootsie pop, tootsie roll, fudge or taffy for years and I don't really miss them.

Killarney
Aug 19, 2023 12:04 pm
Reply to Axl

What about Christmas pudding? I've a stoma bag, for 3 months now and just started chemotherapy. What a bollocks, first three days avoid the cold, fridge water, sweets, beer and I've 3 months of this.

Beachboy
Sep 26, 2023 12:25 am

Just asked my wife.. She said "Sure, eat that Tootsie Pop!"