Is Dark Green Stool Normal After Ostomy Surgery?

Replies
Views
creinhart030805
Aug 07, 2023 9:41 am

So I had my ostomy right after my 18th birthday and after I graduated high school. I have a genetic dietary issue which caused a temporary pouch. My dad had the surgery before me and I thought, "Okay, I got this." I don't got this; I'm scared. For a couple of days, I was sick because of a bug and now I'm fine. But when I emptied my bag, it looked like black stuff in my bag. So when I was cleaning it after I emptied it, the black stool was actually dark green. I just don't know what that means or if it's bad. I haven't been in pain, and if I have, I can't tell because I've been having menstrual cramps. So, may I please have my question answered?

Axl
Aug 07, 2023 10:21 am

Hello C

Can't make much of your history here. However, for mine, green output is bile, produced by the liver, usually occurs when there is very little food in your system and often in the morning. Sounds like what you are describing. However, if in doubt, always run it by your doctor's.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

creinhart030805
Aug 07, 2023 12:29 pm
Reply to Axl

I have FAP. It affects my colon, so I had to get my large intestine removed, and I have to wear a temporary pouch for 6-8 weeks. Then I get a reversal done, but thank you Axel, you helped ease my mind a little.

CrappyColon
Aug 07, 2023 1:23 pm
Reply to creinhart030805

Are you getting a J-pouch? Or a different type of reversal?

Longroad78
Aug 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Color of output can vary from medical issues but also what you eat. Beets can turn output red but some foods and candy go in one color and leave a different color. Grape popsicle can come out different colors depending on the food coloring used and gummy bears can do the same.

What have you eaten during the time frame your output was that color? The comment on the bile is a good one especially if you are not eating a lot.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Play
TerryLT
Aug 07, 2023 8:08 pm

What you are describing can be caused by food moving very quickly through your system and coming out green (from bile as Axl said) because it didn't have time to turn brown. During the process of digestion, as the food moves through your small intestine, it is turned from green to brown. It's not uncommon, especially with ileostomies for stool to pass through so quickly that this doesn't happen. I get it fairly often, especially if I've consumed more liquid, or fruit, than usual, and things move through me really quickly.

Terry

Justbreathe
Aug 08, 2023 6:36 pm

I once wrote a post about this - it was a long time ago and it was entitled 50 Shades of Green.

I believe most of the replies at that time were very much the same as those you are receiving. To this day, almost 3 years now, I still have 50 shades of not only green but all colors....I don't think there is anything to worry about unless it is really really black, in which case I would call my surgeon. Even reds are usually beets or other foods or drink.
Once I actually passed a full-blown capsule of a vitamin I was taking - jb

MoeMoe
Aug 09, 2023 4:31 am

Same thing happened to me after I got home from surgery. I was freaking out! Doc said the dark green is from the bile and the food moving through the system too quickly, plus all the antibiotics could be contributing to that dark green as well. He said it was normal but you should check with your doc too to ease your mind. Mine went away after a week or so.

Passionileo7
Sep 03, 2023 8:15 am
Reply to creinhart030805

Hi, I have FAP too. I am 8 weeks post-ileo, on chemo for 3-6 cycles... Wasn't expecting that slap either!!!