Ileostomy Reversal Recovery Progress and Tips

Replies
Views
knitter

Hello all: Just wanted to post a more positive note than my former entries. It's about 2 weeks now from my reversal and I am seeing improvement. The first week felt like a nightmare, but I'm able to sleep now and am allowed a teaspoon of Metamucil a day. That means fewer trips to the bathroom. I'm still on a BRAT diet with a few modifications for protein---a little chicken, salmon, eggs. I don't know how I'm going to train my body to have greater control over bowel movements but I'm anxious to start trying. My wound (site of the stoma) is healing well. I have some energy to perform light household tasks.

I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my earlier posts. I was feeling very upset and convinced that nothing was going to get better. Some of you offered very practical help and some of you offered words of encouragement. Thank you for taking time out of your lives to help.

Justbreathe

Great news and hopefully continued improvement each day and before you know it the whole ordeal will become just a foggy memory!!! Hugs and best wishes jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Your experience is one I am following with great interest, as I have 12 days before my ileostomy reversal. I am steeling myself for the worst and will be elated if it is at least somewhat better than that! :-))

Please keep us apprised. Thanks!

Daniel

Beachboy

Excellent news. The first few weeks are always the hardest.

Keep us posted about your progress. It will inspire others.

CrappyColon

Thanks for sharing the parts of your journey thus far that have been difficult. It's helpful for others to know recoveries look different for everyone and 'one size' doesn't fit all. Have you asked your doctor for a referral for pelvic floor therapy? The bad day posts are appreciated as well as the positive reports too :)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Morning glory

I am happy to see that you are getting stronger by the day. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory.

Mysterious Mose

Hi Knitter. There is one question I haven't seen an answer for. Maybe I missed it somewhere. Do you have any part of a colon left? How about the rectum? Was a J-pouch used, or was your surgeon able to attach directly to the rectum? These are things I am quite interested in, as my own time approaches. I have no colon at all, but have an intact rectum.

Just trying to keep my anxiety at a manageable level. :-)

Thanks!

Daniel