Dealing with a Crippling Blockage: Seeking Remedies

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses strategies and remedies for managing a crippling blockage related to ostomy care.
airforce1

Has anyone had a blockage which cripples them? I have and wonder what their remedies are.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PJT

I've had a few blockages over the years, and the best advice I ever got was to drink mineral oil. Many years ago, I became blocked, so my father, who was a medical doctor, took me to see a surgeon friend of his. He advised me to drink mineral oil, which is an intestinal lubricant, and it might help the blockage slide out. I always keep a bottle in the house. About a week or two ago, I felt that uncomfortable feeling of what I thought might be a blockage. I was prepared for the worst, but after a few gulps of mineral oil, everything was cool.

The doctor also mentioned pouring Witch Hazel over the stoma. It's an astringent, but quite honestly, I never really tried that. I also keep a baby enema in the house, and once or twice, I've squirted a little water into the stoma to try and loosen the blockage. That's really a last resort, however.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Xerxes

PJT,

Thanks for those tips. I have had a few blockages over the years and oh yes, they can be excruciating.

X_

loren4life

In my seven years with an ostomy, I had only one blockage. Such abdominal pain coming home from Christmas with my family (large meal). Driving down the interstate, I couldn't stand the pain well, so I called one of the nursing services from my mobile phone. They suggested I go to a hospital. The pain was bad, and I had never had that experience before. So I got directions to a hospital at the next large city.

However, being conservative, I thought I'd stop by Walgreens and try a $5 laxative first. That felt better in just minutes, so it was the right decision. I wish I had a larger pouch on that night though. And I carry larger ones. Next time, hopefully, I'll remember to put on the large one.

I drink lots of water. But I eat anything I want. I guess that got me in trouble once anyway.

Loren

Past Member

I take a stool softener every day to avoid blockages.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Immarsh
Hi,

In my 40+ years of having an ileostomy, I've had blockages many times, some minor, some that took "days" to pass. Since my output ranges from liquid to almost formed, depending on what I've eaten, I have different procedures for different "events". Like others, I try to drink plenty of water (over 10 8 oz glasses of water a day) since I easily dehydrate. Although I eat almost anything, I do avoid most high fiber, raw or stringy foods (celery, raw cabbage, corn, etc.). I've been told that I might have adhesions, since I've had my surgery so long ago.

When the pain is bad, I try to drink some milk, and that helps (since I think I'm a bit lactose intolerant). I never thought of mineral oil, but will buy some and keep it at hand. Sometimes, I can actually feel the "blockage" on my belly, and gentle massage, or lying down on a pillow helps "push" it through. Most of the time, I just try to go to sleep until the pain and output pass. When it happens at night, I know that eating something light, and then staying awake for a while, will get things moving. It takes some patience, but I've never had to go to the hospital for it. I think everyone has to figure out what works for them. Just remember to chew well and drink a lot of fluids to avoid the problem.

Best of luck

Marsha
ilsn2u

I'm told grape juice works wonders. Also lying on the floor with your rear in the air and your head close to the ground--not very pretty, but I'm told it works well. And massaging your abdomen. Another tip is to take off your appliance and get in a very warm (not hot) tub and massage away! I also make sure I do not eat and drink-drink-drink, usually Pedialite and/or Gatorade, so I don't get dehydrated and get lots of electrolytes. Good luck!

Teddi Bear
Having an Ileostomy for 40 years, I have had my fair share of "blockage" events. Not very pleasant. The first major bloockage I had, they had to operate and that was only 10 days after my Ileostomy operation. I was so weak. They found out in the end that they need NOT have operated, as the "blockage" was caused by narrowing of the intestine about 3 inches down from my Stoma, and it was scar tissue. For a week, they had to "widen" the narrowing with a small balloon like device they passed down the stoma via a tube, and then inflated it, to widen the narrow bit. Apparently, narrowing of the intestine near the stoma from scar tissue is common.

The main cause of blockages is from food that doesn't "dissolve". My Ileostomy is perfectly happy with ALL sloppy food (the hottest curries included). The main culprit is MUSHROOMS. Unless you chew them really well, into bits, you stand a chance of a blockage. Also, oranges, cos' when the juice is chewed out of the segments, you are left with a solid mass of fibre, which can build up into a "dam". Hard vegetables, lile raw carrots and celery are also culprits, as they won't dissolve and can lodge with other food and cause a mass which is difficult to pass. Because Ileostomists don't have the ability to "strain" to push food out when going to the toilet, the food passage has to rely on "peristaltic action", which is the name of the natural movement of the bowel. This action can slow with a blockage, as the peristaltic action weakens somewhat with the continued effort of trying to push jammed food through.

A total blockage is VERY danagerous and should not be treated lightly. If nothing passes within a couple of days, a trip to the Hospital should be considered, especially if vomiting is happening. Vomiting usually signifies a totally solid blockage. It's difficult to drink when you feel sick, but drinking of water is essential.

Taking the appliance off and soaking in a very warm bath for half an hour can help, because the stoma is free to move to its widest opening spread.

I've never tried the Mineral Oil, but the oil has got to get to the place of the blockage to free it, so that may prove difficult with a bad blockage, cos' it might not get through to the blockage "site". Mushrooms would just "slip" on mineral oil and would not have any "grip" to get out. A surgeon friend of mine says the majority of blockages he sees are from MUSHROOMS. Hmmm...pity...I LOVE them...so make sure I chew them to absolute bits.

When sitting in a chair, I keep "turning over" putting one knee up, etc. and this sometimes shifts it. The pain is most unpleasant though and can make you feel sick, even if you aren't physically sick. Awful...yet another bain of having an Ileostomy. After 40 years of having an Ileostomy, I still HATE it....although having the op. did save my life after 6 years of debilitating Crohn's Disease.