Green Bile with Ileostomy: Could a Banana Be the Cause?

Replies
Views
Doreen 21
Oct 22, 2023 4:54 pm

Anyone get green bile with an ileostomy? I've only eaten a banana all day. Could that be the reason? Thanks.

Morning glory
Oct 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Yes, green bile is not uncommon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Oct 22, 2023 10:31 pm

All right... I'm green with envy! I only get brown.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 23, 2023 5:23 am
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy,

Try drinking blue Powerade; you might get a surprising color. Then for fun, try eating red velvet cake. Or maybe that's just my ostomy...

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Oct 23, 2023 5:25 am

I've gotten green output before. Also, multi-color browns swirled together. And after my abdominal CT with contrast, I had bright neon yellow output of the dye, which actually happened so fast that the dye in my bag showed up on the CT.

Lee

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Beachboy
Oct 23, 2023 2:41 pm

Thanks, Lee. I laughed about the CT contrast dye. I used to get a chest CT every two months for a year. Before scanning, I had to drink a bottle of thick liquid. The nurse would always ask what flavor I wanted. No matter what flavor I chose, they all tasted the same: like crap. So about halfway through the year, I mentioned this to the nurse. She laughed and said, "It's psychological; you're just supposed to think it has flavor."

infinitycastle52777
Oct 23, 2023 5:46 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy,

Lol, that's funny. Yep, that stuff tastes awful. When I had the CT before they added the IV contrast, they made me drink three full glasses of what they called lemonade, and it had to be at room temperature. Even good lemonade tastes disgusting at room temperature. This tasted awful, and I had to drink all three cups in an hour's time. I sipped the first and then chugged the other two to get it over with. Lol, the tech told me that this was an improvement from what they used to make you drink. If that was an improvement, I don't even want to know what the original tastes like. Hey, I have to have a chest CT every six months and have for the last two years and have to for one more year. It's really tiresome to have to do that, so I can't imagine having to do that every two months. Hope you are okay.

Lee

Beachboy
Oct 23, 2023 6:49 pm

I have stage 4 thyroid cancer, spread to both lungs. So at first, my oncologist wanted to monitor possible tumor progression and growth rate (also known as "tumor doubling rate"). Fortunately, my cancer is indolent with a slow doubling rate; 2 years. CT scans were used to monitor all this. It's been 40 years since surgery was performed to remove my thyroid and cancer was discovered. I've had the same oncologist for 20 years. He stopped by to chat with me when I was hospitalized last year. He's always amazed I'm still doing well.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 23, 2023 9:35 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy,

Wow, that sounds really serious. My mom had thyroid cancer and had her thyroid removed, but it didn't spread anywhere else. Actually, all of her siblings and her father all had their thyroids removed. I still have mine, but I have to take Synthroid anyway because it is underactive. It sure does sound like you have been through a lot medically. How do you manage the stress? I'm facing two surgeries coming up, and the stress is just doing my head in. By the way, just curious, do you live near a beach? I sure wish I did. But there aren't any beaches in Central Illinois.

Lee

Beachboy
Oct 23, 2023 11:52 pm

Hi Lee,

I live about 1500 feet from the beach. Winter is great... Summer time is very crowded.

Probably because I developed cancer at a relatively young age, I never stressed about it. Anytime a new tumor popped up, off to surgery I went. Advised I wouldn't last long, I traveled the world, usually taking three 2-week vacations every year. I had many excellent adventures. As time passed, I remained healthy. I worked 7 days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day. I did my treatments after work, or took off from work, went to the doctor, then returned and put in extra time to make up for my absence. I thought for sure I wouldn't make it out of my 50s, but I'm now 65.

When I underwent chemotherapy in 2003, I went to counseling for a few days. Among other things, the head nurse told me to visualize my cancer battle. She said it would help me mentally get through it.

So here's what I came up with:

I'm running through an endless field of green grass, under blue skies and a brilliant sun, running fast and smooth. Behind me, in the distance, on the far horizon, dark storm clouds edge closer. But as long as I run fast, the clouds won't catch me. But I know eventually I'll slow down, dark clouds will envelop me as I stumble and try to push on. Soon I fall. As the rain comes down, God draws me away.

It was hard for me to write it down.

I've been running hard for a long time, never allowing anything to get me down. In the hospital last year, for the first time, I couldn't summon my inner strength and carry on. But God was there. I gained faith from the darkness and lived to run hard many more days.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 24, 2023 12:21 am
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy,

You are so inspiring. You have great courage and great strength, and that really comes through in your words. I sometimes wonder if I will make it to 50. I'm 46 now. When I was 19, I would say, "My life is half over." Somehow, I made it to 46 though. You are lucky to live by a beach; that has to do your soul some good. I have been to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and just felt healthy there. The air is incredible. And who doesn't love the sand beneath their feet? Where did you travel to when you were taking your vacations? The only place I have been outside the US is Canada. I have been there twice. The second time, I was new to driving and panicked at the border when they got suspicious of all our luggage when I told them I'd only been in Canada one day. (I had gone from Illinois to Maine in the US and from Maine to Illinois through Canada.) I have always wanted to go to England. I just haven't made it. I used to want to go to other places too, but since I have had my ostomy, I have been hesitant to travel to a country that might not have the supplies I would need or would hassle me at the airport. I've read horror stories about airport security in other countries. Anyway, it has been nice getting to know you and your story.

Lee

Beachboy
Oct 24, 2023 5:53 am

Thanks for the kind words, Lee.

I grew up in poverty in the 1960s. My family was on welfare, back when it was really looked down upon. My parents loved to gamble on horse racing. So that's what we did... A lot. My parents mostly lost. Many weeks there was little food to eat in the house. In 3rd grade, I became friends with a classmate. He used to stop by my house on his walk home. Well... One night his mother came to my house with my friend in tow. Yelled at my mom, "You keep your white trash away from my boy!" I was confused and asked my mom later: "Isn't trash what we put out at the curb once a week?" Mother explained, "Since we were poor, I was not good enough to be around her child." That's when I became aware of social "class."

Left home at 17. Drove my old car to Huntington Beach. Lived in the car for 8 months. I bought a membership to a gym for $5 a month. Parked around the corner. Went there every morning to use their bathroom, shower, and pay phone. Worked various jobs and saved as much money as I could. At age 26, bought my first house. My mom died at age 50. After my father died, I got a call from Washington DC. A package was being sent to me. Inside was my father's Korean War record and replacement medals for those he was awarded. Turns out he was a war hero. Awarded Silver Star with Oak clusters, Purple Heart. He was a medic. One day his platoon was pinned down by enemy machine gun fire on some forgotten hill in Korea. He ran out and pulled 7 men to safety. Was shot 4 times. Spent a year in the hospital. Then was returned home suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. That's why he didn't work. Was uncomfortable around people, couldn't handle any stress. He was buried with full military honors, 21-gun salute and all. Too bad I only found out after he died.

I've been all over Asia, South America, Europe, Amazon River, Galapagos Islands, Canadian Arctic, Alaska, Greek Islands, China, Russia, Canada, Hawaii, Tahitian islands, Faroe Islands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Falkland Islands, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Thailand, Singapore, Kiribati Island, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Chile, Budapest, Panama Canal, Amsterdam, Bermuda, New Zealand, Australia, Tasmania, Norway, Greece, Malaysia, Bali, France, Turkey, Nice, Cannes, Croatia, Monte Carlo, Aruba, Bonaire, all the Caribbean islands. Been on 36 cruises. And all over the USA. I worked hard and lived it up. Was not sure when my last good day would arrive. With an uncertain future, I didn't have children.

Three months post-op earlier this year, I went on an 80's music theme cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Security was no problem. I took precut wafers, adhesive remover wipes, bags, Cetaphil soap. I did have a hard time getting around the ship. It was great fun.

I'm planning a trip back to Europe next year. Then another to the Greek Islands.

You would enjoy England. London, Salisbury, Bath, Cliffs of Dover... Fish & chips. Stonehenge. Highclere Castle. Lots of great experiences.

Hope I wasn't too long-winded in this reply.

To me: Every day is a holiday. Another day in paradise.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 24, 2023 11:40 pm

Beachboy

My goodness, you have been everywhere! That is so cool. I bet you have a lot of good stories to tell! Do you speak many languages too?

I grew up the first 8 years of my life on public aid, and my mother sold the food stamps for drugs. I was an abused child and never had anything until after I spent 2 years in foster care and was adopted. When I was 1 month from my 9th birthday, I entered the life of a middle-class family with a single parent. My adoptive mom worked hard for her money and held some high positions, like the director of the local homeless shelter. I am fortunate to have escaped poverty, but due to past trauma and related mental illness, I have never been able to work. I am on Social Security now and still live at home. My mom owns her own home and has retirement benefits that keep us afloat. If I were on my own, I would be below the poverty level again. And I know that. It often scares me to think about returning to that life. I am not uneducated; I have a Bachelor's degree. I started my Master's but halfway through, I had to drop out. I am thinking about taking Pharmacy Tech education so I will have a skill in case I need one.

That is really interesting about your dad. I wonder why he never told you. I think going off to war changes a person. My grandfather fought in WW2 and got a Purple Heart, but he would never talk about his combat experience. Not with his wife or kids or grandkids. It is not surprising that your father had PTSD. I mean, think about it: getting shot at, retrieving people from battle, being a medic, he had to have seen a lot of graphic injuries. It is really nice that they honored him and gave you his medals. Kind of makes you think about him a little differently, I'd guess.

I've always wanted to go on a cruise. I am not sure if I would get seasick, though. I have been on boats before; I once went whale watching off the coast of Maine. It was really cold out on the water, but I managed to get a sunburn anyway. I felt bad for the whales, though; I don't imagine they liked being chased by boats all day. I'd love to go snorkeling. But if I saw a shark, I think I'd want to get out of the water as soon as possible. Lol

You are going to think I am ridiculous, but part of my motivation to go to England is that it's the birthplace of Harry Potter. Someday I want to be a writer of children's books, so I would love to see the cafe where those books were written. My other interest in England is castles. I used to have a book of the castles of England. You know, another place I would like to see is the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. Have you ever been there?

Peace to you,

Lee

Beachboy
Oct 25, 2023 5:42 am

Hi Lee,

Twice I had cruises booked for Egypt. Both times I had to cancel due to terrorist attacks and social unrest. So I haven't been there yet.

My wife swam with reef sharks in the Galapagos Islands. Seals were also in the water and played with her.

Cruise ships have stabilizers. They prevent the ship from rocking too much. So most people don't get seasick.

I only speak English. Most countries teach English as a second language. So English is spoken all over the world.

In life, it's not where you start. It's where you end up.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 27, 2023 1:21 am
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy

That is too bad that you haven't been able to go to Egypt. There are a lot of problems over that way. Wow, about your wife swimming with sharks and seals. She must be brave. Seals look playful when I have seen them at a zoo or on TV. I like to watch NatGeo Wild and see all the Secrets of the Zoo shows. Maybe one day I will get to go on a cruise; maybe I won't watch Titanic before I go, though! I do know most countries teach English starting even in kindergarten. I think it is because US English speakers are too stubborn to learn other languages, and the other countries want to do business with Americans, so they teach English early.

Lee