Duct Tape Solution for Emergency Ileostomy Pouch Repair

Replies
Views
Knitmomster

Well - I've officially gone where I never thought I would! After having major leakage issues (my ileostomy is new as of 10/11) and running out of supplies, I had to resort to washing out the last pouch I had. After several times, the seal at the end (to empty the pouch) separated... I pulled out a roll of duct tape. It is working so far - hoping it will hold on until my Amazon order arrives (hopefully tomorrow). If not, I'm hopeful my home health agency or surgeon's office will help me out.

Cplumber

Go to your hospital emergency room and ask for supplies. There is a good chance they will have some.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,601 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Knitmomster

I tried - no go.

Maried

Hospitals or emergency rooms almost never have ostomy supplies; they have to special order them. I know this does not help today, but always keep an extra box of supplies, even if they are a cheaper brand, because there have been major mail delays or you might get a defective box of bags, which is rare.

gentlejohn

Physicians and ERs probably will not help you unless they have a WOC nurse on call. You need to see an ostomy nurse. Hopefully, your home health agency has a fully trained WOC nurse, which is desirable but not absolutely necessary as long as they have stoma experience.

Duct tape is a bit hard on your skin. You need to take care of your skin and learn how to get a good bag seal.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister