Stem Cell Transplant with Ileostomy: Risks and Experiences?

Replies
Views
Tezter
Nov 02, 2023 2:45 am

I have an ileostomy due to cancer and need a stem cell transplant. I am wondering if anyone here underwent a stem cell transplant with their ileostomy and how it went? Given that the SCT will reduce my immune system, am I at more risk for abdominal infections having a giant open sore and my guts hanging out? I will also be asking my doctor. Thanks in advance.

Caz67
Nov 02, 2023 10:20 am

Hi Tester, I used to work on a hematology ward where patients had stem cell transplants. The patients' own stem cells were removed, so they were highly susceptible to any infection due to having no immune system during the time leading up to the transplant. The most common issues were constantly loose stools and aspergillus (lung fungus). They also had very sore mouths with difficulty in eating and drinking. You can rest assured that you will be looked after by an amazing team who see these issues on a daily basis and can help get you back to full fitness. Please do let me know how you get on. I will keep you in my thoughts. xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tezter
Nov 02, 2023 11:23 pm

Thanks, that is good to hear. I am just nervous about having this extra complication, but hopefully it's just more frequent emptying of the bag contents. I'll be sure to ask for nystatin powder at bag changes too.

Dgravestock
Nov 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Hi there - what have you learned? When are you going to transplant? My daughter (17) is going to transplant next month and has an ileostomy from diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, and I am so worried about the added complication. I am being told it won't be an issue, but she has a ton of skin breakdown, and it is always problematic. I would love to chat with you. We are from Colorado but getting treatment in Texas...

Tezter
Mar 24, 2024 9:36 pm
Reply to Dgravestock

Just saw this post. It went well for me but was rough for two weeks. It made me very dehydrated. I was discharged and almost passed out at home. I was readmitted for a week and could barely stand - the output from chemo was so high and I couldn't get fluids quick enough. I also had mucositis which made hydration harder. As counts came back, I bounced back, but the output was pretty crazy high.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister