Feeling Normal Post-Surgery: How Long Until the Soreness Fades?

Replies
Views
jannaspring
Nov 20, 2023 3:15 pm

Hi

I'm 13 weeks post cystectomy and stoma surgery and am back to work. Just wondering how long it takes to not be feeling sore after a day of movement or work. I feel like I'm doing OK, like the brain is willing but the body is not.  I just feel like I have a stitch  like I've been running when I haven't.   Anyone else know when i should be not feeling sore/achy  after a full day?  Yes I know everyone one is different but just looking for other experiences. 

Thanks jo

kittybou
Nov 20, 2023 3:29 pm

It took me 3 months to be able to walk my dog by myself. It will NOT take you that long. Take things easy. 🥰😸

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 20, 2023 4:22 pm

You will get there. Any surgery that results in an ostomy is major surgery. It takes time to heal. It took me a good 6 months to start feeling somewhat normal. But, I was extremely ill to begin with and had a complete colectomy. To be honest, I will never get back to where I was before the episode. But like many folks here, I had complications that made existing conditions much worse. At 75, I am back to walking 3 to 4 miles every day and (carefully) doing my yard work. You will get there. It just takes time and patience. :-)

Daniel

eefyjig
Nov 20, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi Jo, I remember asking my surgeon when I would not feel like a Mack truck ran over me and he said three weeks. He was right, it was three weeks to the day when I could walk short distances and not feel like I had to immediately sit down. Three months is still early, just know that it is normal what you're experiencing. Like Daniel said, this is major surgery. It'll be months before you are semi-normal, when you're not hyper aware of your stoma and its every movement and ache. Hang in there.

Beachboy
Nov 20, 2023 8:04 pm

It took me about 7 months before all my soreness disappeared.  I was able to walk fast again, get in & out of the car quickly, and tackle stairs with ease.  And... I stopped noticing, (feeling), like I had a weight on my tummy.  It all comes back slowly.  Don't rush it.  Sit when you are tired.  I pushed too much, and 4 months post op I passed out at work.  Did have a fun ride with the paramedics, spent 2 days in the hospital.  Dehydration got me.  Drink water AND an electrolyte beverage or use electrolyte powder in your water.  Don't chug !  Sip only.  Otherwise you will pee it out and absorb little.

Be well and take care

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Play
DexieB
Nov 20, 2023 8:08 pm

It took me 4 whole months to start feeling like "me" after my colostomy, but I had other issues going on when I had the surgery (infections), so that's probably why.  I went back to work after 6 weeks and I felt it was too soon, even though I have an office job.  I hope you feel better soon!

Happy-but-Newbie
Nov 21, 2023 11:50 am

Hi Janna!

I had had cistectomy on 8th September and am back to work too...

Probably because I came from a very bad situation pre-surgery, I am already feeling well enough to work and do "normal" things...but my body has taught me to take it easy...by making me pass out and head bang the wall collecting a supplementary 6 stitches to my head...ahahah...

I am not yet 100%, muscular strength has gone to its lowest and stamina even worse, but...new normal starts slow and guess we'll both keep building up from the bottom :-). 

Feel free to message me

jannaspring
Nov 27, 2023 8:36 pm
Reply to Happy-but-Newbie

Thank you, nice to find someone who has had a cystectomy. I'm back doing some gentle exercise, but my strength is shot to bits.