191 days Carnivore with an Ostomy

Replies
Views
terrizajdel

Hey there, I hope all is well?!

Today is day 191 of Carnivore and Im still feeling great! My weight loss since June 1st is 36 lbs without exercising or calorie counting. The weight loss has slowed down but not stopped.

I'm using lotion on my skin now  because we are so cold and dry in Alberta in the winter but otherwise my skin is doing great. My face did rash up in the shower but I think that's the city adjusting the chlorine in our water which I'm sensitive to. 

My friend asked if I've colored my hair.  She said my grey is hardly noticeable anymore!!! I'm allergic to hair color so I'm grateful if the grey goes away. My hair is growing fast, shiny and strong. No more bleeding gums and minimal arthritis pain even where diagnosed. Although I'm going for an xray tomorrow on my right thumb as it may be a cyst and not arthritis. 

I've been eating more eggs, processed cheese, meat and hamburger than usual but haven't felt any different other than some gas from the dairy but it has saved me a lot of money.

In January 2024 I have a pancreatic biopsy followed by a CT scan but no other procedures are imminent.

I stopped the AG1because of the expense (and the fibre bothers me) but I still take an electrolyte every day and add salt and creamery butter to every meal.

My Ostomy was doing really well until I got sick 3 weeks ago. Since then I've had a couple of skin rashes and a rare blow out yesterday. Which may have been not snapping my gear closed all the way after my change.

My kids shared their colds with me. Theirs turned into Bronchitis and mine stayed a cold.

After 2 weeks of coughing and blowing my nose, suddenly my neck, shoulders and hips were too sore to ignore. I ended up with a severe migraine that affected my vision. It was a mirage migraine that reoccurred several times that week. You cant see past the shimmery rainbow to do anything. I need regular adjustments to my neck, shoulders and hips but it's so expensive that when I feel good I dont go. So off I went to Dr Dave to adjust me over the next 2 weeks, No more migraines but I need to keep doing regular maintenance. 

My cold is almost gone and I'm looking forward to Christmas baking and decorating once the snot tap turns off. I guess it's better than being stuffed up?!

Take care everyone.

Terri

kittybou

What kind of lotion is good for cracked and bleeding hands, with NO shea butter? It only happens in winter. Thank you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,507 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to kittybou

I find that Amlactin works best for me. It's not as "greasy" as some others. I like the below, but there are other variations. Keeps me from having to wear gloves when I empty my bag in the winter. :-)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AmLactin-Ultra-Smoothing-Intensely-Hydrating-and-Moisturizing-Cream-for-Body-4-9-oz/252814470

Daniel

Axl

Hello Terri

Happy to hear you are making good progress and you sound happy, I also hit the chiro once per month for a bit of maintenance, works for me.

Axl

The back of my hands around the knuckles started to dry and crack about 2- 3 years ago. I tried several moisturises but I had to use it constantly and it never fixed it. A dermatologist told me to replace all soap with " Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser" on my hands instead of any sort of soap at all and my hands have been good since. She said only " Cetaphil or QV brand , nothing else. Worked perfectly.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kittybou
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks!

terrizajdel
Reply to kittybou

Hey Kittybou, 

My side effect from chemo is cracked heels on my feet and cuticles on my hands. I can crack and bleed easily in the winter if I dont stay on top of it.

I have and use Cetaphil cream, CeraVe cream or Glaxal base cream.  I use it from head to toe in the winter.

Non scented and all chemicals but very effective. Use sparingly 2x a day or more as a little goes a long way. Keep a light sock or glove on after applying cream whenever you can. Unfortunately these are quite expensive but they do work. I hope this helps you. 

Terri

terrizajdel
Reply to Axl

Hi Axl

I swear by mine, I would be physically handicapped without him. Have a great day! 

Terri

terrizajdel
Reply to Axl

Nice!  I cant use any kind of soap or cleansers on my face without rashing up. 

terrizajdel
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks Daniel

kittybou
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you!😸🐕‍🦺☃️

kittybou
Reply to terrizajdel

Thank you🐕‍🦺😸

kdel

I'm glad you're doing great on carnivore!   Keep up the good work! It's definitely worth it.   

I have been doing the carnivore way of eating for over 7.5 years, and I definitely feel it if I go off plan. Cheese makes me feel bloated,  usually makes my joints ache and give me a stuffy nose.  I love it, and I eat it occasionally, but I have to be ready to pay for it, lol.

Good luck during Xmas baking time!  

terrizajdel
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I haven't seen that one but probably because I shop mostly online. Thanks!

terrizajdel
Reply to kdel

Thank you! Im so happy to find people who are ostomates and carnivores! 

I've actually been baking off and on since halloween lol. If I can cook it or bake it I dont feel like I need to eat it lol ;)

My daughter is just about 6 months pregnant and I cook and bake whatever she craves so I get my fix too lol. Have a great day!

Terri 

JVM261

More and more hearing that carnivore is the way to handle An ileostomy well, and this is very very difficult for me because it goes against everything I believe in, but I feel like this is correct. The more research I do and this is just my opinion it seems to be the optimal way to go. I’m sorry that I didn’t do this before maybe I could’ve avoided what happened but the colon has gone so I can’t go back. I just have to look forward but I admire that you can do this. One thing I will say that I discovered that I hated the smell of sulfur in the bag from eggs, but I love eggs, which are also carnivore diet approved. If you put, I think it’s a tablespoon of white vinegar into the boiling water with boiled eggs, I like mine soft like seven minutes, The sulfur smell dissipates, so burping the bag is better and cleaning it is better sans smell. I have a friend of a friend that has had an ileostomy for 30 years and she swears by meat and blended vegetable soups. I don’t know if I can give up my curry, coconut milk, turmeric, milk, addiction. I love that as a base for veggie soups. But I did get a pressure cooker after this ileostomy, and it has been a godsend for meat dishes. I read that it was very good for people with Ileostomy and people who want to go Carnivore.

JVM261

There is a guy that had a small intestine transplant if you can believe it or not, He swears by carnivore. You can see his blog: http://roarofwolverine.com/archives/412

terrizajdel
Reply to JVM261

Hi JVM61

I'm sorry this way of eating is painful for you :(

One of my BF's is dealing with the same issue. She sees the positive results in my physical and mental health and needs the same results but is struggling with eating anything that isnt a plant. She is not an ostomate.

I was unable to function independently physically after 2 years of becoming an ostomate and my weight had skyrocketed while trying to eat the doctors recommended diet.

If I went out at all I used a cane and/or a wheelchair and was exhausted for days afterwards.

Digestive pain after every meal; bag leaks and gas bulges, 5 or 6 full bags of output a day, awake and exhausted at night, severe arthritis in both shoulders, hips and right thumb, often dizzy and/or headachy and I had excema and cracked dry skin issues on top of the weight gain. It was not living but existing.

In Feb 2023 I had a Petscan to locate the rest of the cancers in my body. When the scan came back all I could see was how big my body was not the details of the scan itself. I was shocked.

Suddenly the remaining cancers were a lot less important to me than getting my body strong enough to fight them. A month later I had lung surgery to remove the bottom 3rd of my left lung and I hit my highest weight ever at the same time 194lbs.

I had to do something so I decided to try carnivore.

After 6 months on carnivore and daily electrolytes I am back to being the mother, daughter, and sister I once was. I'm 40lbs lighter and I like I feel I can do anything I need to do physically or mentally. This is great because I'm about to become a 1st time grandma in March! 

After 2 years of ostomate misery I started following people who have healed themselves by eating a carnivore diet. They are not ostomates themselves but the positive results for me, an ostomate cannot be ignored. 

I wish you good luck and good health on your journey.

Terri